Chemo Mouth

Hi Ladies-

I am in desperate need of remedies for the terrible "Chemo Mouth" My sister's ONC got her that RX mouth rinse for the pain etc, but she says her tongue still feels like it is "wrapped in shrink wrap" and everything tastes terrible. Any good ideas to help her out would be greatly appreciated.
She has reached an all time miserable and I am desperate.

Thanks,
Molly

12 replies. Join the discussion

The only thing that gave me comfort was those old banana popsicles we ate as kids. I would eat 10-12 a day. They make a sugar-free but they are terribly expensive the way I eat them. Chewing gum also helps. Good luck with it.

Hi,
I was told by a friend who had been through chemo 10 years before me, to drink 2 ozs. of pure Aloe Vera juice every morning. I did this, and I never had one issue with my mouth no sores, no dryness, no bad taste. Now, food did taste different to me but my mouth was in great shape the whole time. My onc, told me Aloe would be fine to take during treatment. I hope this helps, it is worth a try, Debbie

My doctor prescribed a mouth wash and that is what I used. It was not too bad. I guess there is more than one that can be used. Find out what your sister had and ask your doctor for something other than that.

I hope the Rx mouthwash prescribed to your sister is what they call the Magic Mouthwash. It can treat thrush, sores, other infections, and doesn't taste bad. Mine says use every 4 hours and I used it both for mouth sores and later on for thrush. I'm betting your sister has thrush right now, on top of everything else. Nothing will taste good or taste the same on chemo for awhile, but it is much worse when you also have thrush (fungal infection). Ask her if her tongue is white or has white spots or white streaks. That is thrush. Suggest she hold a swig of the mouthwash on her tongue as long as she can, 30 seconds maybe. Then swallow or spit it out, whichever direction she was given.

For me even water didn't taste right. I would such a mint before I drank water. We have to have a lot of fluids to wash out the chemo, so it is important to drink a lot, even if it doesn't taste good. For me, drinking buttermilk and eating plain yogurt also helped with the thrush and they always tasted OK.

i ate a lot of fresh pineapple and i was drinking sage tea. Yogurt help me too. in more then one way.

Love
Monika

Hi Molly,
I am sorry for you sister's pain. But many of us have been through it. She can get through it also.
I experienced level 4 side effects from my third Doxil infusion which included horrible mouth blisters. I rinsed my mouth with baking soda in water, drank aloe vera (concentrate mixed in water) , used warm water salt rinses (those took the swelling down), and used Magic Mouthwash ( which is an inexpensive Rx of lidocane, benedryl, and maalox - rinse & spit) for the pain.
I couldn't eat anything, so I purchased a Ninja Blender ($130 with Bed, Bath & B coupon) thew my salad fixings into it and drank everything! I now love my green drinks and I don't care how they look or taste because I'd never consume that many veggies if I had to eat them.
Soo now I 'feel healthy'! Even if dinner sometimes was Dryers coconut cream popsicles!

Please remind her that she is not alone, and that she is not the first person to ever experience these uncomfortable side effects. This is just the first time for her. She will be able to get through this; it does get better. Also, make sure that she drinks lots and lots of water!

Holding ice cubes in the mouth during chemo helps to reduce negative effect because it slows down the blood flow in the mouth. My hospital has ice cubes available for everybody who wants to suck on them

I had severe mouth sores and tried everything I could find, Finally, I got an OTC preparation called Prevention--oncology mouthrinse. It is available at www.preventionlabs.com or 1-800-473-1205. This firm sells a variety of mouthwashes for a variety of conditions. I learned about it through an md who had had cancer. While it was soothing, it did not cure my mouthsores. Only going off chemo for five weeks (twice) got rid of them. It's the immunity system that has to be strengthened in order for a cure.

It was certainly the most debilitating aspect of my treatment, and, oddly, only seen among the Denver patients in the GOG 252 clinical trial (at least at that time, a year ago). The speculation was that the higher altitude ( lower oxygen) might have been the reason.

Lynn

Thank you for the information. I have had many, many chemos for over 12 twelve years. I have experienced mouth sores many times. Right now I am taking Nystatin/Lidocaine,(Magic Mouth Wash RX) Valtrex RX, twice a day for the mouth sores, Clotrimazole RX for thrush that you dissolve on your tongue 5 times a day. I rinse my mouth out with salt water 4 times a day. I cannot use any toothpaste except Biotene which is very soothing to your mouth. You can get this at Walmart or a drugstore. I also use the Biotene Mouth Spray for dry mouth. Have tried the Biotene mouth rinse but that seems to burn my mouth.
I am having chemo tomorrow so I will definitely try the ice cubes. I want to be able to enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanks again,
Kathie

Several of my chemo friends who had mouth sores took Lysine supplements. They said it helped.

Good luck to you and your sister.

With Doxil infusions (which we can't get anymore) the directions suggested that patients suck on ice chips and ice wrists & ankles during the infsion and afterwards for several days. sometimes it helped othertimes it didn't.

My Mom's chemo doctor told her to use Biotene. They have a toothpaste (Mom likes the gel best), mouthwash and spray. This seems to keep her mouth moist and soothes the sores. We pick it up from K-Mart. (All items are less than $30).
Hope this helps!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders