Caffeine and neuropathy

Has anyone noticed an increase in neuropathy when you drink more caffeine?

Lately, I don't drink much caffeine. I probably make coffee 3 times a week but even then I only drink one or two cups of 1/2 caff (Folders). I've started drinking Sprite simply because it tastes good to me. I didn't intentionally cut back on caffeine, it just sort of happened.

The past two days I've had to get up and run errands really early in the morning. Both days I stopped and got a cup of coffee. I ordered a medium size and drank it all. Both nights I noticed my feet were hurting really bad. Yesterday, on top of the cup of coffee I drank in the morning, I drank iced tea during the day. Again, I wasn't thinking about the caffeine. I simply drank it because my son had picked up a gallon of Dean's sweet tea and it tasted good to me. Then, last night.. I was in severe PAIN. My hips, knees and ankles were aching so bad... deep in my bones. And my feet were tingling really bad and itching. Even my hands were getting tingly and my finger tips felt sort of numb... I was miserable!!

It just hit me a few minutes ago, that my caffeine intake has increased a lot the past two days and so did the neuropathy. Has anyone else noticed any connection?

16 replies. Join the discussion

Okay, so I googled this and found my own answers.. and the answer is YES. There were several articles that linked caffeine to neuropathy. Sooo.. I guess I'll go back to my sprite and limited 1/2 caff coffee.

I hope this info helps others who may drink a lot of caffeinated drinks and also suffer from neuropathy. Any relief is good, right?

Thanks... I have had the same expwerience. cut down on the caffeine, and wala, less Sx! Had a big ol ice tea with dinner last nite, definitely feel it this am.

Dang it Sonya, couldn't you wait until after I had my coffee to give me this news. (just kidding.... I love you honey). And I better go put my glasses on because I thought southstar just said cut down on the caffeine and you get less sex.

LOL LIG.. I don't think it's possible to get less than zero.

That's why I need my coffee. It's the only enjoyment I get on a regular basis and it doesn't even require me to be even remotely pleasant until after we're done :)

Thank you guys - you gave me a laugh! :) I'm new to this site. I also have neuropathy leftover from last year's chemo and I just started treatment again 2 weeks ago. I'll watch the caffeine.

LOL @ LifeIsGrand.

I still get it in my fingertips when I am holding a phone or something.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if cutting it out would help my feet.

Hey now...i gotta have my coffee! i drink 3 cups a day. if not my daughter would hate being around me. lol. thats my "pleasure". LOL sad huh!? hehehehe

OK, I need my glasses too. I also read that Southstar's post said to cut down on caffiene and "wala less sex". You're right, can't get much less than zero. Tooo Funny LIG.

But seriously, I was an avid coffee drinker (at least 6 cups a day) prior to OVC, now I'm lucky to tolerate a cup a day. It was my biggest pleasure and now I just don't enjoy it like I used to. But when I need a lift of energy, I'll drink a cup or two, and yes, after thinking about it, my feet and legs really hurt that night and the next morning.

thanks for answering a question I had about tingling in my feet...must be the 1-2 cups of coffee I have on a daily basis...I'll try cutting back to 1 and see if there's any difference. Nanci

OMG - SOOO FUNNY - LIG 8 AKA GAYE, IS MY COMIC RELIEF TODAY - AT SONYAS EXPENSE - AND I SEE KIM GOT IN ON THE FUN TOO!!! I JUST THINK U GIRLS ARE THE BOMB! EVEN WHEN I FEEL LIKE TOTAL SHIT - YOU GUYS MAKE ME SMILE..... OH WOW... AND SEX USED TO BE SOOO IMPORTANT TO ME - NO ENERGY FOR THAT - SECOND ON THE LIST - FOOD - CANT TASTE OR SWALLOW IT - DAMN IT - WHAT PLEASURES ARE LEFT? SHOULD I INVEST IN A VIBRATOR??? HA HA HA!!!! THANKS GIRLS FOR BRIGHTENING MY DAY.... :-)

Wow!!!
I sure needed this you guys!! thanks Sonya for pointing this out!!!! I'm with wannaknow, i MUST have my coffee. i love coffee-- coffee ice cream, coffee flavored candy, i love the new mocha frappacino at mcd's! i wanted to cry about cutting down on caffeine, but it is sooooo worth it if it makes the pain go away!
God Bless
Paris
p.s.
sex? what is that?

Yes, I think as long as I can still hobble from the bed to the coffee pot then I'm going to have to have it. I'm kind of allergic to morning without it. Like Paris said.... Sex... I have a vague recollection.

Crap, not coffee!! Why can't it be something I don't like that turns out to be bad for me? Why does it have to be coffee,? I can't live without it, for 2 reasons, 1) I can't make it through the day and 2) my dh would kill me if I didn't have the caffeine to help my grumpies.

Hi Connie and all you other wonderful women!
My non-fat latte is my reward (that and rowing) for getting through chemo. I too finished my first round last September and started "maintenance" this July. My neuropathy increased from a 2 to a 4 shortly after my first avastin/topotecan treatment. I am now taking 4000mg of l-glutamine daily and feel my neuropathy has decreased. I would hate to give up my coffee although I could try switching to de-caf.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news for so many of us coffee lovers. I'm with Parisfrance, I love the taste of coffee. Coffee candy, ice cream, and any variety of coffee drinks. I have been drinking Folgers 1/2 caff for quite some time now because I drank so much coffee that I figured cutting out 1/2 the caffeine would probably be a good thing.
My taste for coffee has changed since I've been in treatment, which I guess is a good thing given the news about the caffeine. So I had already cut way back on my morning joe.
For those of you who believe you can't function without your coffee, you may just TRY to use the 1/2 caff. You can ease your way into it... and like just about anything, you do get used to it.
Also, studies have shown that you actually get more of a pick-me-up from an apple than you do from a cup of coffee.. So maybe an apple and a cup of 1/2 caff would chase away the grumpies??

(_)3 <~~~ There's ya a cup to sip on while you ponder!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders