CA125

Just out of curiosity...does everyone have the CA125 antigen?

7 replies. Join the discussion

My oncologist explained that everyone has the CA-125 antigen in them. "Normal" for a post-menopausal woman (like me) is 0 to 20. "Normal" for a man or a pre-menopausal woman 0 to 35. An infection, like bronchitis, may even temporarily spike the number, which is why he "preached" not to get too worked up about a single CA-125 reading. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you :)
How about the CA 19-9, and 15-3?

My tumor was tested by the pathologist to see if it was CA125 responsive and it was. I think that means that if the cancer returns, it should show up in my CA125 testing.

I had my CA 125 checked before I even had surgery. It was very high. My oncologist uses this number to regulate where my CA 125 should not be. After my surgery and after my first set of chemo my number went down to 9; in which he was estatic. Then when my number started to go up we watch; however, then it jumped by 10 points he then checked with a cat scan and found a new mass and fluid around my liver so I am back to chemo. So numbers if watched can be helpful tools.
I am not sure what 19-9, and 15-3 are. If you can explain I would love to hear what they are. Thank you.

Carbohydrate Antigen (CA) 19-9
This test is used to monitor gastrointestinal, pancreatic, liver, and colorectal malignancies. A significant deviation from the normal range may require further evaluation by your physician

Cancer Antigen (CA) 15-3
Description: This test is used to monitor breast cancer patients who are undergoing current treatment for the disease as well as to check for reoccurrence. A significant deviation from the normal range may require further evaluation by your physician
Lipid-Associated Sialic Acid (LASA)Lipid-Associated Sialic Acid ( LASA) is a useful adjunct in the management of a variety of malignancies. It is generally used in conjunction with other tumor markers. A significant deviation from the normal range may require further evaluation by your physician

I ordered the 'Ultimate Female Cancer Profile' from Private MD Labs since all I could get from any of my doctors was a total run around 'you're too young for anything to be wrong' send me on my way type of treatment. So I took matters into my own hands and ordered the test. I got the results back last night..
CEA 3.2
CA125: 13.3
CA19-9: 15
CA15-3: 19
and the Lipid Associated Sialic Acid was 23 flagged high..

The description I posted above I copied directly from their website so I didnt mes anything up :)

Thank you for this information. In todays world age has nothing to do with cancer. They didn't have all this information years ago so probably more young women had cancer and didn't even realize what was going on. In our oncology chemo room I see younger and younger women coming in for treatment with breast cancer, ovarian cancer, etc. For me this is scarey; we have three girls and I am afraid for them with all the cancer that is in our world.
Thank you for this information and I will be asking my oncologist concerning these numbers. He is very open with me and has been wonderful. Thank you again!

How are you all hangin' in there? I just had a wonderful rest in my own bed (after 2 days in hospital bed for chemo) and another night in my own bed before more surgery-on my leg for blood clots. Prayerfully after this all will be well. Hang in there and keeping you in prayer and in my thoughts.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders