Bringing PLATELETS & WHITE BLOOD cells back up quickly

I'm on my third recurrence, and things are going well. I've never had to postpone my chemo for low blood counts, even with Gemzar/Carbo/Avastin, and never had a shot or more blood. I read about all the problems women have with blood counts, and I'll just tell you my experience, and you can take from it what works for you. I work with an oncology nutritionist, Dr. Jeanne Wallace. What she has recommended has worked for me and for my friend, who also has never had to postpone chemo. In fact, what we do, they have started doing in the labs where we have chemo. Here it is, and there are scientific studies, if anyone wants to email me and get them.

I am looking right at my LabCorp results, where all my blood work has been done, as I type this.
I did one round of carbo/Gemzar/Avastin, and my CA-125 dropped to 12.9, so we dropped the carbo. My blood counts dropped way down, and I called Jeanne Wallace (I generally talk to Michelle, a naturopath with many years of experience), and we raised some supplements, and here are the results right from the page.

4/6 white blood count 1.9
4/12 white blood count 5.4

4/6 platelets 116,000
4/12 platelets 307,000

4/6 absolute neutrophil count .4 (critical)
4/12 absolute neutrophil count 2.9

Those are the main ones we look at. In the round before this one, here's what happened.

3/8 platelets 83,000
3/15 platelets 84,000
3/16 platelets 160,000
3/21 platelets 417,000
3/23 platelets 463,000

3/21 absolute neutrophil counts .4 critical
3/24 absolute neutrophil counts 2.0
3/29 absolute neutrophil counts 2.5

3/21 white blood count 1.3 alert
3/23 white blood count 1.9
3/24 white blood count 3.7

Here's what she recommends: for WBC-astragalus. I take 3 capsules three times a day with meals. Esberitox-3-4 chewable tablets 2-4X a day. For RBC and Hemoglobin-Chlorella 2 caps (not liquid) a.m.; Whey (no sugar) Whey Cool-2 scoops in a.m.. For platelets- tahini butter (which I can't stand, but it's okay to take organic sesame seeds)2 tbsp. a day; shark liver oil varies according to how low they are but it's extremely effective. I take 2 capsules with meals 3X. If they're really, really low, I take 3 each time, but back off when they rise.

That's my regimen, and it works beautifully for me. It may not be for everyone, and that's fine. But when doctors say that nothing can be done for platelets, my friend and I both would disagree. If this looks promising to you, I would recommend Jeanne Wallace to anyone, and I get nothing for recommending her. Dr. Servan-Schreiber, who wrote Anti Cancer a New Way of Life, has gone to her since 2001, and credits her with his good health (p. 210 in his book). She's wonderful!
Jean

21 replies. Join the discussion

Thanks for posting, I am dealing with low WBC now, as I take Carboplatin and Gemzar. Will investigate.

DR weil sd astragulus does help with low wbc...fortunately what I currently take helps my blood counts! Thanks for sharing! Our bodies are beyond amazing!

Wow!! Those results are astonishing. I still have low anc and wbc 9 months post-chemo. I have been taking a few supplemnts - but I think I will add some of the ones you have mentioned. Thanks for posting!

p.s. I see Astragalus is good for WBC but what did you use for the ANC?

izzysmama (Who's Izzy? Love it) You know I'm not a medical person at all, but ANC is a certain kind of white blood cell that fights infection (others know a whole lot more about this than I do), so since Astragalus and Esberitox work on that part of the blood, they apparently work on ANCs, too. There is not a special one for ANC and a different one for white blood cells. Probiotics are indicated here also, but because mine were so low, I didn't take them. When I had a clinical trial at MD Anderson in '08, the pharmacists okayed every single supplement, and there were many of them, except probiotics because of the minute possibility of getting something from them.
Jean

I'm finished with chemo, but I find this very fascinating!

mine took over a year to come back to normal

Hi

I also consult with Jeanne Wallace and Michelle has worked with me. I just consulted with them in January of this year. I wish I had known about Jeanne when I was taking my frontline treatment as halfway through treatment my wbc kept falling too low and treatment was delayed. I was taking neulasta and still had delays and eventually stopped taking the carboplatin. I had a recurrence so that is the reason for the consultation. My experience is similar to yours. My wbc have been 5.4 with taking astragalus. My supplements are different than yours other than the astragalus as my main problem is the wbc and blood sugar control. The booklet of information they sent is my second bible.

rozetta, I, too, find it so fascinating. I didn't know any of this before I started with supplements, and never dreamed that they could have such a profound effect. Too bad there's not much money in it—certainly not the billions to be made with chemos. Jeanne Wallace has a very professional and interesting approach for those after chemo if you are ever interested, but I know we follow our own path, so it might not be your thing. I credit her with the fact that it took a year for my CA-125 to go from 8 to 28, and then I had two very small spots in my pelvis and absolutely nothing else in the whole abdomen. We're all different, though, and I have to remember that!

In working with my integrative oncologist, he said Thursday that I'm about ten years ahead of the medical profession in having molecular profiling that indicates I'd do very well with Herceptin or Abraxane, which I can't get because there are not huge, expensive studies on ovca because it doesn't pay off, and Medicare says no. We're following the Rational Therapeutics guidelines and I'm now doing Docetaxel since Gemzar messed with my hearing. Docetaxel worked well in my clinical trial at MD Anderson in '08, so we're expecting the same results...and crossing our fingers, of course.

whitelight, how nice to hear from a fellow Jeanne Wallace groupie! Your statement that your supplements are different from mine points out the fact that this is very individualized, and created to fit our very own personal needs. By booklet, are you meaning the Treatment Side Effects one? If so, it is my second bible as well. I go to it even before I go to my integrative oncologist—not that I don't consult him as well and I like him very much, but with nutrition and supplements, quite frankly, his knowledge doesn't match Jeanne's and Michelle's knowledge.

Hi

I guess booklet was an understatement. I meant the packet of information that they send with the consultation. There were so many pages I bought a 3 hole punch and put all the information in a ring binder. When I first received the information I did not have time to go over all the information as we were going on a trip. My wbc were 3.5 before the trip, I received chemo and really expected to drop further while traveling. I took the astragalus and when we returned from the trip labs drawn for next chemo indicated my wbc was 5.4. My oncs nurse knew I took the supplement and began warning me not to take a lot of antioxidants. Well she frightened me and I did not take the astragalus for 3 weeks and when my labs were drawn the wbc dropped to 2.4 and chemo was delayed. I talked to my onc about how well the astragalus seemed to work and he said to take it and we will see if it works. In a week wbc up to 5.4 and so he said to continue taking it and we will monitor how well it works. I think I will print your message and show him the incredible results you have achieved.

whitelight, our experience is pretty much the same, isn't it? Supplements do matter and they do make a difference.

Yes, I did get a huge binder with so much information, all directed toward ovca. Isn't it wonderful? I refer to it all the time. I like it that she tells why certain supplements are recommended, and I also like the long list of supplements that shouldn't be taken during chemo.I love her info about sugar and inflammation. Very helpful!

Also, I have a little group of pages with the title Treatment Side Effects, and that had so much information about Astragalus, etc. Then when Michelle and I had our conference, she went over all of that. When I went into chemo in mid-Feb., my supplements changed drastically and I never would have known what to take without her help. If you don't have that, let me know if you're interested. It has info about nausea, liver and kidney problems, blood counts—all kinds of things.

this is good to know. I had heard that spanish peanuts are good for low pletelet counts. This sounds much more effective.

Hi Jean,
Izzy is my nearly 8 year old son (birthday tuesday!), my reason for living as long as I can! I see an integrative doctor but she doesn't seem nearly as on the ball as Jeanne Wallace. I have been quite worried about my counts so I am heartened to hear that supplements may help raise them. With Astragalus is there a particular dosage you use? Right now, after doing special bloodwork for the integrative doctor, she has me on the following:

1. Vitamin D, 8000 ius
2. Vitamin K 10 drops
3. Probiotics
4. Oolong and green teas, two cups a day
5. Fish oil

On my own I added Evening Primrose oil and Broken Cell wall Chlorella (which I stopped because it may be causing bloating) I am a big believer in supplements so I am so thrilled you posted!!

izzysmama, my 2 1/2 yr-old grandson, Lucas, just left, and he's such a bundle of energy. I used to teach 8-yr-olds, and they are so neat. Happy Birthday, Izzy! I'll bet he's a wonderful reason for living.

Dr. Wallace has her degree in oncology nutrition, and she works with oncologists. My Astragalus dose to bring up white blood counts and absolute neutrophil counts comes from Vital Nutrients (her recommendation), and I take 3 300mg caps at lunch, dinner, and night. Well, I'm not sure that's very clear. Each capsule is 300mg and I take 3 at those at lunch, dinner and night. If I'm not on chemo, I don't take them because my counts are okay. I also take Esberitox by Enzymatic, which I buy at our Natural Grocers store, to help boost white counts, and I take 4 chewables, 2-4X a day. Together, they seems to work well.

I do take many more supplements than you do. I take Vitamin D at 5,000 because of where my D counts are. I take Vitamin K2 as MK-7, and when my counts are up, probiotics. We're in tune with those. It sounds as if your nutritionist, or oncology doctor, at least is open and working with you. That's more than a lots of oncologists do. I think that possibly because Jeanne Wallace's field is nutrition, she has time to devote to diet, supplements, what to take during chemo depending upon the drugs you're using, what to do after chemo ends to help prevent its return, etc. A lot of her supplements act in an antiangiogenic manner, to prevent new blood vessels from forming so that cancer can't grow, just like Avastin. A lot more act on the immune system, strengthening it to create a 'terrain' inhospitable to cancer's growth. Then, as whitelight knows, there is a ton of information about sugar and fats and Omega-3s. She's very much into keeping inflammation down because cancer needs that to grow. I got a binder, as whitelight mentioned, that is a couple of inches thick containing so much info about all of that, and it's all directed toward ovarian cancer.

I'm curious to know which supplements act in an antiangiogenic manner?
Omega-3, multivitamin without Iron, vitamin D and Magnesium are all recommended widely for menopause etc. But other supplements are not that popular and I'm wondering how effective they can be. I searched on the net about Esberitox but there was not that much information about it, neither I find it anywhere in the UK to buy. I suppose it is traded under the name Echincea in the UK but I'm not sure. I also looked for Chlorella but found nothing.

Antiangiongenic---
Curcumin,

Plus spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. which I guess you could or could not take as supplements versus food. Zyflamend, sold for inflammation treatment, has a lot of these in it.

Linda

I'm very gratified by all of the replies. This shows what a wonderful resource the forum is.

My main foal in starting this was simply to use my experience as an example to show that you CAN do something about low blood counts. Too often, oncologists say that you have to wait it out and that there is nothing you can do that makes a difference, so women get knocked out of clinical trials or have to postpone chemo time after time. Before I had taken supplements, I probably would have accepted their word for it. Now I know better, and if women know that there might be a way to raise those low counts, it could make a huge difference. What a great way to exchange ideas and learn from each other!
Jean

Yikes—should be 'goal'
probably more, but I'm not looking...
Jean

Thank Jean

You made my day today, as I lost my sanity when today they told me that I had ANC low and I couldn't continue with my chemo.
I start to cry at MDA and I thought this is it, my cancer is winning against me.
Now I am going to Wholefoods as I've tried to call Jeanne Wallace and I am going to buy your recipe to see if can make any
difference to myself. A big thank you for your info and God Bless you. I have a big cross in front of me and you know I am alone
in Houston as my family is back in Australia. What a blessing to find friends like you.

Danai, I'm so glad I could help you in some way. My goal was mainly to show that when doctors say that there is nothing you can do, there is actually something you can do without causing any problems with chemo.

I'll bet it's hard to do this with no family close by. Do consider those of us who write in this forum your family while you are here, and also when you go home. I'd love to hear how things are going for you as you journey through this as we all have. This is my third recurrence, and I have learned so much from other women who have gone through the same things I have. What chemo drugs are you taking?

I had a clinical trial at MD Anderson in 2008, and flew down from Denver every three weeks. I know there is a Whole Foods, and they should have Astragalus. If not there, you can call around and see who has some. I'm taking 3 caps three times a day. That, along with Esberitox, which I found at one of our independent organic stores, are the two things that specifically helped my white blood counts—specifically my absolute neutrophil count (ANC). I take 4 tablets 2 to 4 times a day, depending upon how low my ANCs were.

A lot of times platelets go down. If yours start down, that's when 2 tablespoons of raw sesame seeds a day can help. If you can stand eating tahini butter, it is made up of ground-up sesame seeds, but I frankly couldn't stand it, and the raw seeds are just as good.

We have all cried at one time or another. Then we know that we just have to pick ourselves up and go on. Posting on the forum helps a lot, so I hope you continue to do so. Generally speaking, Jeanne Wallace would want your medical records and some tests done to see exactly where your particular body is, so I don't now if that would work for you right now. But I am looking at her recommendations for nourishing the blood, and anyone can do it. I will be thinking of you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders