Beating the odds

Hello all,

I am new to this group and want to give some hope as well as learn from you. My precious Mother had ovarian cancer, the rare type, and was given a 5% change of beating it but beat it she did! Unfortunately, followed by a collapsing back (12 vertebra) and Alzheimer's. The point is SHE BEAT OVARIAN CANCER with such terrible odds and lived 10 more years.

Now me. I have multiple, multiple autoimmune health issues and now a cyst on the outside of the periteneum located by ultrasound, which is being investigated. I'm in extreme pain.......the screaming kind when it hits.....like nothing I've ever felt before and believe me......I've been through the mill.

I'm always an optimist but this has me feeling uneasy. I will be having an MRI Monday, followed by a trip to my GYN and then back to my hemotologist/oncologist, whom I see because I cannot maintain my iron stores. She has set everything in motion quickly and is a wonderful doctor.

After her I will see a urologist because any bladder pressure makes the pain worse or any pressure on my stomach period......my belly is swollen something awful....gained 20 lbs of fluid almost overnight. At 40 I had a total hysterectomy, my appendix and gallbladder are gone too and I've had multiple EGD's and Colonoscopies so what does that leave???. I've done my research and know about Primary Peritoneal Carcinoma and after reading more believe that is actually what caused my mother's ovarian cancer.

Well, I'm rambling on now. Wanted to touch base and give some encouragement and maybe some of you can give me some info as well. Thank you in advance for telling me your stories.

Nancy

11 replies. Join the discussion

Thank you for sharing your mom's story. No matter what the odds that a Dr. gives there are people beating those odds and it's important to know about them. Everyone should have hope.

They can drain your fluid to give you some comfort. If you are anemic and need to start treatment you might need a transfusion.

It's good you have appts lined up to get to the bottom of all of it. I wish you the best and let us know how you are doing.

Thank you, Rabbitgal. I hope I don't have cancer on top of everything else but if I do, with God's help, we'll deal with it. The iron issue is an ongoing thing for quite some time. I get iron infusions, 8 weeks at a time.

Nancy

I am always anemic. My red count is in the normal range,but my absorbtion rate is not. Therefore; I am always sleeping. What do they do about this?

The anemia began for me in about 2004 or 2005. I was put on high dose iron for 9 months, off two, then we did a bone marrow biopsy and I had zero iron stores. Up until recently I was going to the local teaching hospital's hematology/oncology clinic and had the department head for my doctor. He didn't bother to try to find out why.....just gave me iron infusions (1 a week x 8 weeks) each time I got low again. Now I have a new doctor who is great and wants to know WHY. I am again taking infusions but she is doing all kinds of testing to try to find the reason that I can't maintain my iron stores. I'm 69 years old so it isn't the usual female reason and I have been turned wrong side out looking for where my blood is going but it hasn't been found.

To answer your question, find a good hematologist and insist he/she find the problem.......and don't let them just give you iron or iron infusions....get to the bottom of it.

Good luck,
Nancy

Best of luck in your tests tomorrow. Wishing you all of the best.

NancyLG hi!I would like to know how your mother beat the cancer, just with chemo or had her self helped with something more? I hope the best for you...

Hello Fani,

I'm not sure I know but I will tell you what transpired. Mother had her pelvic exam 10 months earlier....went to the doctor with another concern and he suggested she go ahead and do her yearly exam that day......fortunately. He found a tumor the size of a grapefruit and scheduled surgery right away. The tumor had attached itself to her colon just inside her rectum. The surgeon carefully scraped it loose without rupturing the tumor (Mucious Cystadenocarcinoma). She underwent 8 months of chemo (Cisplatin and Cytoxin) staying 3 days at a time in the hospital each month. The cancer never re-occurred. I credit the surgeon with saving her life by being so careful not to rupture the tumor.

I hope this information has helped.

Hugs to you,
Nancy

Nancy, thank you...I hope it will help but we have done the surgery!I send you my best wishes

Nancy,
What stage of ovarian cancer did your mother have. I have stage for, and I am very down.

Nancy, my cancer is peritoneal carcenoma which is the lining of the stomach and abdomen. My ovaries burst and I was filled with cancerous fluid. Now I know why your mom did well. Her ovaries didn't burst.

Dear Cevermore,

My Mom's cancer surgery and chemo was in 1986-87. So many new treatments are available today. Please don't lose the courage to fight.

Big gentle hugs to you.
Nancy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders