Ascites (fluid) buildup in abdomen

Has any one dealt with malignant ascites buildup that required draining? Pam had to have 3 1/2 liters drained which ballooned up in about a week. She is already showing a little additional buildup. Anyone with a similar problem please tell us what your experience was and how you are doing.
Rick

27 replies. Join the discussion

I was drained last month and the fluid showed cancer cells. My ca 125 had been going up but nothing showed on scans until they saw the fluid. After fluid drained I was back on chemo of gemzar/carbo I have just started 3rd session of 6 for this and ca 125 has gone from 331 to 181

Hello,
I was drained in Dec, I was dx because of all the malignant cells in the fluid. I was drained before surgery 1900cc and then drained again at surgery 3500cc. My next drain was in Dec,and they got out 850cc. I was also started on chemo..which I'm still having. If she is beginning to have more,is her Dr. going to start chemo?? My Onc had me starting chemo about 10 days after the drain,and he said if I started to fill up again to call and they would have me tapped again. So I think you should call your Dr,especially if she is in any kind of pain. Good luck..(((hugz)))~~~Joanne

How timely! I'm seeing my gyn-onc tomorrow and #1 on my list is to tell him about my swollen abdomen and how I get a full feeling after eating. (My medical onc didn't seem concerned.) My CA-125 is 101 (second recurrence) and we have to decide what my next treatment plan will be. I have not gained weight, but my abdomen is becoming so round I look pregnant. Will they drain the ascites even if it isn't pressing on a vital organ? What is the procedure like?
Thank you for the valuable information. This is the first time I recall ascites buildup being discussed on this web site.
Carmeta

Carmeta-
Thanks for your reply...Since fluid weighs about 7 pounds per gallon, the extra weight of the fluid buildup could be offset by your possibly eating less ("full feeling after eating") or weight loss due to the cancer itself, therefore not seeing any weight gain.
There are a couple simple tests they can do to determine if it is free liquid in the abdomen, "shifting dullness" and "fluid wave", among others. You can find info on these (Google -ascites test). As Pam's oncologist said, it is always good to reduce the cancer "burden" - which by removing cancer cells from the body (in the fluid) during chemo so there is less work for the chemo to "do". You need to be firm on getting that fluid withdrawn, as Pam went from looking skinny to 7 months pregnant in 2 1/2 days. Strange but true. She started feeling restless about her breathing, so we went to the ER. Try to get you Dr to set up an appt with the radiologist who will be doing the simple procedure as we got tangled up in the ER system and admitted for a day and a half! The fluid withdrawal is painless, takes about 30 minutes or so, but the anesthetic injection DID hurt. I think the Dr was in a hurry to insert the needle too far too quickly. Next time we will "educate" whichever Dr does the procedure that this is what occurred and we don't want a repeat performance. Also, don't let them rush you- get the most liquid out as possible. Shift position and lightly press on your abdomen, under their direction of course, to help the removal process. The removal, in her case, was by using liter bottles with a vacuum pressure inside. The thin tube they insert about 2 inches (guided by ultrasound), is tapped into the bottle through the cap and the vacuum pressure draws the fluid up the tube and into the bottle. As it fills, the technician detaches the tube and taps a new bottle, and so forth. Pam may have to have it done again this week, not a good thing to have that much continual buildup, but there are a couple of drugs out there that can slow down the fluid, and a low-sodium diet can help too. Keep in touch.
Rick

I was just drained for the third time since the end of Feb. My ca125 is dropping, and there is no visible sign of disease, but i am and have been on chemo, because we know it is there. The first time i was rained, they took out 4.6 liters, the equivelent of 10 pounds and 12 ounces, the second time 4.5 liters, about the same, and 3 weeks and 1 day after the first. the last time which was this past friday, they drained only 3.6 liters, and it was 4 weeks, yahoo... My ca125 dropped from 780 to 318 after my 2nd cycle, i just finished my third cycle, and i know the chemo is working, for the fluid is finally slowing down!!! It is an easy and painless procedure, nothing to be fearful of believe me. and you will be sooooo relieved!!!!!!!! god bless, sherry

When my mom was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer, in fact we didn't even have a diagnosis yet, my dad's oncologist/surgeon, (my dad was in the hospital at the time) drained 10 liters from my mom's belly. She didn't have to have her belly drained again. She started chemo, I think within 4 weeks of that time after doctors determined that it was ovarian and not GI. After chemo, the fluid dried up so to speak. It's getting the right plan of action that is the trick.

When I first ended up in the hospital in Feb.'07, they drained 5lbs. of fluid from me.
It had been building up for about a week and after it was drained, there was such a relief.
No more fluid buildup since before my surgery....Thank God!

Hi Carmeta,
I had the ascites as well. It was miserable. I gained 14 lbs. with it in a matter of weeks. My doctor did not want to drain it unless I couldn't stand it and was having difficulty breathing because there are nutrients in it. I took about two rounds of chemo for it to go down. Hang in there. It will go down! Lemona

How did it go?

Yes I had this . When I got into the hospital I had the fluid buildup even in my lungs, they gave me a lung tap wham bam I was fine in a few hours , 2 days later I had my complete surgery debulking. The fluid was drowing me , it was scary but after they did it I felt 200 percent better

Ascites probably saved my life. I was diagnosed last July with IIIc ovc. It was the only symptom I had that something was wrong. I had the fluid drained a few weeks before surgery and I got some relief but the fluid came back again. The fluid had cancer cells too. My onc said the chemo would take care of the ascites and it did. I know what you're going through it was very uncomfortable carrying around the extra fluid. The procedure doesn't hurt and they do a sonogram when they're draining to see where to take the fluid from. You will get immediate relief but in my case the fluid came back in a few days. Hang in there you will get better.

Deb

hello-as i posted earlier, i have been drained, now 4 times since feb 28, 2008. it has now been 7 weeks since i was last drained. i do have some fluid build up, but my dr wants me to wait as long as possible before i get drained again. my husband and me both want to get the fluid out. the procedure is simple and easy, and although you do loose proteins and eletrolites when they do the draining if you eat prteins and drink oj, eat bananas, etc, i have found there is no side effect. my first draining was 4.6 liters, 11 pounds, the last time it was 3 liters, 6.6 pounds. when i saw my dr 2 weeks ago, i had gained 3 pounds in 6 weeks, so, there is a little fluid. i have asked GOD to give me guidance. i think i am going to call today and set up my drain for next monday, so when they do my ca125 the next day, i won't have anything in me that doesn't belong there. my ca15 has gone down to 45, from 900 in feb, so that is all that i am battling now is the fluid. the dr cannot find anything else. GOD bless. sherry

Just an update- Pam has stopped chemo and other treatment and is on the hospice program. Her ascites finally stopped, but due to tumor growth. Very weak and frail. My prayers go to all those suffering from this disease every single night.

I am very sorry to hear about Pam. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Marlene

I just read your post from today. I am so sorry to hear about the turn in Pam's OVC journey. My heart goes out to both of you. And I want you to know you are in my prayers. Both my husband and I are in late stages of cancer......(read my journal) I know the journey can be hard. God will strengthen you and Pam as you depend on Him.God Bless you! Keep us posted!!

Rick ~ I will be praying for both you and Pam during your last days together. I was my daughter's caregiver for 8 months and brought her home with hospice last October. I was so blessed to have been able to take care of Krista and tell her how wonderful she was and how much I loved her. The last sense to go when someone passes is hearing. When I heard her gasping for air, I held her in my arms and told her how much I love her, her dad, her brother and her fiance loves her. While that love is great and good - there is nothing like the perfect love where she is going. My heart breaks for you. I will be praying for both of you! Much love ~

I have cancer of the peritoneum and had fluid build up before I started chem but then it disappeared with just the chemo and I was feeling really great. After having the last session of chemo I once again have got a build up of fluid and I only had the last session a couple of weeks ago. I know this type of cancer is non curable but I was hoping things would have stayed good for a while. My CA125 was down to below 50 so I cant understand why I have started with the ascites. I'm expecting to go for draining hopefully.

I have IV stage breast cancer but I'm doing well. My problem at the moment is ascites. I am about to be drained a third time. I include alternative treatment as part of my healing process. Tomorrow I see my oncologist and will see what she has to offer. I had three rounds of abraxane three weeks ago but the fluid still came back. I may need to try another treatment. Any advise or info on ascites would be helpful.

VINTAGE2000 MAY I ASK WHAT ALT N COMPLEMENTARY MEDS U USE. I AM END STAGE,

I just started working with a holistic homeopathic doctor. I also go once a week to a therapist, chiropractor, and a massage therapist. But the most important work I do is by myself. I believe my body is always working to heal itself. I visualize my strong immune system and weak cancer cells. And there are positive things I repeat to myself everyday. I hope this is helpful.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders