Anyone having muscle spasms since chemo

Has anyone else had any trouble with muscle spasms since chemo. It has been one year since my last chemo and I am still having muscle spasms in my back. I also am still having problems walking up steps or on an incline,how long till this passes.

7 replies. Join the discussion

I have been ridden with arthritis in my hips and my front legs hurt while
my back legs ache? I've asked about the legs but not 1 doctor
can tell me what it is. DX 2004 - 2 recurrences - last chemo Aug 2008.
Stage IIIC

Mine is like muscle spasms and the muscles tighten up and hurt, do not know if it was because I was bedridden so long and my muscles have atrophied or what. I go to physical therapy to try to stengthen these muscles again. I hate this disease and hope they find a cure soon

This might be an off the wall thought, but maybe have your magnesium level checked. I was having a lot of cramping in my legs and feet. The magnesium level was at the lowest normal number and I started taking oral magnesium twice a day. the muscle spasms are almost gone. Physical therapy should help too. mary

I seem to be in this same club. While I am back to being active (bike/walk everywhere) a flight of steps is the hardest or any incline. I have to support my thighs. And my lower body discomfort makes it hard for me to even get down to a toilet. I don't even know how to describe it but I sure move like I am very, very old.

Had the same issues.....when I had to face a flight of stairs I cringed
cause I knew it would hurt.....my right hip the most.
I live alone so I had to be very careful if I got down on the floor I had
to have something near by to help me get back up. I was pitiful.
My gyn/onc put me on Elavil for the hip pain. Its an anti depressant
but also used for sciatic pain......worked like a charm until it built up
in my body. Now I just take it because it works so well as an anti
depressant for me.
I have to say, the one thing that has helped me has been that heated
mattress pad......I can now take on stairs and I'm not getting up out
of a chair like a nursing home patient.....
I told this to the woman that does my massages.....she said it made
perfect sense because my muscles were staying warm thru the night.

Right after my surgery i was so weak that i too could not get off from the stool without help. my hubby made me like a walker that fit around the toilet so i could push myself off without help, seems like it was several months before i could get off withoug this assistance. I do not know if it is the chemo or just plain being weak from the cancer and surgery but i am still having problems walking up the step going into and out of a front door, stairs i can haldle good now, inclines also give me fits. I guess i need to just practice going in and out the door several times a day to get these muscles back.
i also got my tens unit out it gives an electical stimulation that seems to help me alot. also heat helps also.

God bless you all
Lynda

I am totally with you about using heat for aching muscles! I have one permanently on a love seat in the TV room and a blanket warmer on my side of the bed that I turn on every night before going to bed:)

It's so frustrating when your body is not working in sync with your mind. This post is helpful to me as I'm sure there are plenty more of us who have this issue!

Thanks for the post.
Hugs,
Bobbie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders