Age and Obamacare Restrictions

I will be 76 this year and have seen posts in other areas about meds and treatments that were covered under Medicare being denied at 76. I have been in chemo since The return of my ovarian cancer in 2010 (first diagnosed in 2005), and am currently on Lipodex. I have had 3 treatments with no side effects and appreciate going once every 4 weeks instead of 5 days every 3 weeks. My main concern is regarding continued treatments.

15 replies. Join the discussion

I have not heard of this. I would call Medicare and ask them. They have always answered my questions thoroughly and with kindness.

I've never heard of such a thing either. I agree with bee -- best thing is call them and ask.

I'm on medicare, taking doxil, and have not been refused (yet!). But I am 65. I don't see why age should be a new factor, unless this is all new under ObamaCare.

There are no restrictions on treatments for cancer due to a patient's age under the Affordable Care Act.

What you may have heard is a growing body of evidence regarding screening for breast cancer. The new evidence based guidelines do not recommend mammography for women over age 74 and only recommend them other year for women age 50-74. These guidelines are only for women of average risk (not BRCA carriers, for example). However, the law exempts this specific mammography screening guideline from being included in the rest of the law.

You can see the guidelines here: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf09/breastcancer/brcanrs. htm

That's good to know!

Thank you for your reply's, I did call Medicare and was told they have no information that would indicate any change in coverage under the new health care laws due to age so hopefully that is true. I appreciate this site and the opportunity it gives to ask questions and receive answers from all of you going through similar experiences.

Oh, boy....can you just imagine all of us "Gray Panthers" marching on Washington? When you reach my age, 75+, you develop a kind of resilience that cannot be managed by imposing a law for or against whatever I think will keep me vertical! There are many times when I question the lawmakers and their decisions, but I cannot believe that even they would be so foolish. Thanks for the info, Cara. I bet you are right about the mammo suggestion. PTL...and blessings to all, Jane

Regarding Br. cancer screening for women over 74, I think technically, they neither support screening or recommend it--there isn't enough evidence one way or another.

"The USPSTF concludes that the current evidence is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of the service. Evidence is lacking, of poor quality, or conflicting, and the balance of benefits and harms cannot be determined."

I'm so glad those concerned are calling Medicare and getting the facts. There are some nasty rumors out there about the Affordable Care Act which are used to scare people, especially those of us who are ill and/or of advanced age. The Act is probably not perfect, but it's all we've got, and in most cases, is better than nothing.

Michelle

Being one of those of advanced age (very tactful ;-) I agree with Michelle!

The affordable care act is not perfect but it is way better than then restrictions insurance industry puts on pre-existing conditions. Never again can they deny you coverage. From conception to the tomb everyone is covered those that can't afford it will be subsidized by the government... People will be rest assured that they don't have to go bankrupt for catastrophic illnesses. We will be able to concentrate on getting well and still have our house left.. Gotta have FAITH because fear is the enemy of faith.

Thanks PDGjake for those words of wisdom. Many of us, including myself, would be bankrupt today with the illnesses we have if we had to change insurance.

Hi,
I am also on Doxil and have been for 2 years. My husband still works and am covered under his private health plan but also have Medicare which I do not use yet. Does Medicare cover everything regarding your cancer treatment? Any restrictions on things such as CT scans as I now have one every 3 months. Just curious and do realize they only cover 80% of an approved amount and then you need a supplementary to cover the remaining 20%. Where do you live and where treated? How long have you been on the Doxil? Any information you can give me I would greatly appreciate. Good Luck to you and best of good health Jane

Hey, from another Jane...it works like this..Medicare makes the initial determination about what to cover and what not to cover. If it is your primary insurer, then your supplemental insurer will cover the final 20%. Supplemental on covers the costs based upon what Medicare agrees to pay on the first 80%. Most supplemental insurance companies have restrictions...for example, if you have been diagnosed with Parkinson's, they might not cover...it gets complicated..I had to fight for coverage because my hand tremor is being treated with drugs used for PD...my neurologist had to convince them that this was not Parkinson's....wishing you well...Jane in Wichita

Thanks for the info and will keep in touch.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders