Abdomen tender 5 months after surgery

Hi everyone. It has been five months since I had total hysterectomy. My incision is still tender, and rather numb. Also, about one inch on either side of incision is still tender, with entire area somewhat numb. Is this normal after so many months since surgery. Am still receiving frontline chemo, and wondering if this is having an impact on abdominal area. Should mention incision extends from belly button right down to pelvis. Also, tenderness does not keep me from daily activities.

Would appreciate hearing from other regarding their experience with respect to above. Thanks

7 replies. Join the discussion

I have had tenderness also since my surgery in october. I asked the doctor about it and she said its common to have that. The chemo treatments make our healing time take a lot longer according to her. Probably should ask your doctor about it though.
Hope all is going well with your treatments.
God Bless.

I am still feeling some tenderness on either side of my incision area. And sometimes a pain that comes and goes above the incision, now less frequently. My surgery was on Jan 24th of this year. My scar is horizontal tho, but nevertheless quite similar story to yours. And my numbness is like a triangle from belly button down to incision site the tip of the triangle at the bb. I was told by my gyn that numbness around the scar area is going to happen, something about the way the nerves are arranged from the belly button on down. My doc didn't seem to think it was anything to be alarmed about. Probably because there wasn't anything she could do other than prescribe pain meds, which I refused. Also I am not on any chemo or other treatment yet.

I was kinda thought I was going to feel better sooner than this, so this was very discouraging to me. I am in my 40's and am healthy otherwise. I hope that you feel better eventually and hope you will triumph over this.

God bless,
Lisa

I had a hysterectomy in my 30's and it did take months to recover completely. It was numb at ends and tender in the middle of the incision for sometime. Mine was horizontal but still drove me insane. My two children were Csections before that so they went with the same area. I have surgery again this month but wasn't told which way the incision will be. They are opening me up again and taking both ovaries, this surg at least I know what to expect afterwards. Will be doing a lot of relaxing, if I want to or not. As long as you have no infection, yours should be ok :-)

Remember, ladies, you also have areas inside which were cauterized and/or stitched. The gyn-onc who performed my surgery told me it took up to a year for all to heal. I'd still make sure the doc remains aware of it.

Greeting Colli,
I had a vertical incision as well for my hysterectomy like yours. Nine months after my surgery, it is still a little numb and tender at times but each month it is better. It is more tender on the left and my oncologist said it was due to more scar tissue on the inside on that side. I do have to say the body is amazing at healing itself but sometimes for us women, it's not quite fast enough! ...Shannon

Hi Colli,

I found out I had a large Tumor attached to my left ovary in Feb 2012 I had a full hysterectomy and it was confirmed I had Stage 1a Ovarian Cancer grade 3. Since my operation I have not been free from discomfort in my abdomen area at all ,the scar is exactly the same as yours it is still very tender and I have discomfort either side of the scar and also above it and I still get pain in my pelvic area especially if I have been sitting and leaning forward like I am when on the computer its like I need to stand up and stretch to to relieve the pain. I mentioned this to my Consultant a few weeks ago and she examined my tum and said what I was experiencing was normal and my tummy could take up to l8months to 2 years to feel right again like myself just keep a check on it and mention it to your consultant on your regular visits.

A hysterectomy is a big major operation and I do believe having chemo does slow down the healing but as they say time is a good healer.

Thanks everyone. Your responses have made me feel a whole lot better.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders