2nd Recurrence ... Doxil? or another alternative?

After a diagnosis of fallopian tube cancer less than 2 yrs ago and treatment with taxol/carbo, I had a reccurence in 8 mos. I was then treated with carbo/gemzar and did well driving my CA 125 down to 7. However, in only 3 mos the cancer came back big time. I just had a CT showing extensive omental metastases with also a partial small bowel obstruction. Since it came back so quickly, my oncologist wants to immediately start me on doxil this Monday in hopes of reducing the tumors and avoiding a total bowel obstruction. I have heard horror stories of the side effects of doxil...skin blistering hands/feet, heart problems, etc. Am going to start seeking a second opinion after starting Monday as to what else there is out there. Does anyone have any opinions or received successful treatment with doxil?

15 replies. Join the discussion

Hi; I started Doxil around 4 weeks ago and just had my second treatment on Thursday. I am on a 3 week cycle. No significant problems so far. I will get my CA-125 results next Tuesday. My Dr said I would loose my hair but it is still on my head. I am wondering if anyone else has had little hair loss or none at all? Good luck with your treatment.

I will say with the cold and flu season, try and stay away from folks with symptoms. I did get a cold a couple of weeks ago that knocked me out for a couple of days.

linderbin

My wife has stage 4 fallopian tube cancer. She had 6 treatments of carbo and taxol then debulking surgery. She had a reoccurrence in 4 months and has become platinum resistant so no more carbo. She is now on Doxil and has had two infusions and they plan an additional 4 infusions of Doxil only. So far she has had very few side effects with Doxil mainly constipation and she seems to be doing well on it. As I understand some people respond very differently to Doxil.

I'm on` Doxil, as a single agent, for my second recurrence in a year. First remission, after optimal debulking, was 15 months. Second remission, after Alimpta/Carbo, was 6.5 months, despite a complete response to line two chemo and the tumor vanishing. It came back, same place, marginally bigger, plus "foci" (spots) via the PET on my intestines. It's the first time in almost three years that's appeared and it's worrisome to me despite my onc saying this is still "minimal" disease. The Doxil regimen is every 21 days, second infusion Monday, and was independently recommended by the tumor board at MSKCC in NYC. So, for what it's worth, my onc as well as the doctors at Sloan think this is the best regimen (for now). Best to all.

I have had 8 treatments of carbo/doxil, with no problems, although worsening of neuropathy in feet. For me, it hasn't been bad at all. My ca125 has nose-dived, but I will have a pet/ct the end of this month. Will know more about its effectiveness then. You have nothing to lose by trying it. If it doesn't go well for you, there is always something else. Good luck!

I am in the same boat....2nd reoccur...Doxil suggested or trial EC145. Do you loose your hair with Doxil? I am first growing mine out from last chemo 3 months ago. I have PPC. June 2010 was the start of my journey with surgery and chemo. I too now am platinum resistant. Suggestions!

Carolyn68, It seems, from my research, that only 20% of those on Doxil loose hair. The bigger problem is hand/foot syndrome and mouth sores. My surgery was May, 2010. I'm 3c, high grade, serous. There are some 15 drugs or so presently available for use. As we all know, once past frontline chemo, there's NO established protocols. It simply mix and match, roll the dice, and hope for good luck. Best to all.

Thanks...xanthic!

I didn't have hair loss while on Doxil for 6 cycles, once per month. I also didn't have any hand-foot syndrome, nothing. My doctor said I will DEFINITELY have it -- I don't know why they get so predictive when there are always exceptions, and certainly not everyone gets this side effect! I was careful with my hands and feet, didn't wash dishes and tried to keep them moisturized (natural coconut based lotion), as preventive measures. It was working well for me overall (4 of the treatments resulted in great reduction in CA125, one time it went up, one time it stayed the same). I had to stop because of the shortage at the time. I would go back on it if I needed to, it's much easier for me than Carbo.

I didn't lose my hair, but it did thin out considerably while being on doxil.

I had carbo/doxil for my second recurrence in 2010. I only had some skin darkening on my legs and feet. I followed all of the sun and heat precautions religiously and I'm sure that helped minimize the side effects. I also iced my hands, feet and mouth during infusions. My hair stayed as full as normal. I was also able to work full time on this protocol. Carbo/doxil kept my tumors at bay and knocked down my CA 125 but I didn't get to remission.

what stage fallopian cancer did you have when diagnosed the first time?

SmartyMarty just had doxil and may tune in to this tonight as she's traveling
and visiting. She had just finished it before her trip and I can attest to the
fact that she had hair. It looked just like mine (and I haven't had doxil) so
mine has been growing but stunted by Avastin. We looked like twins.
Or make that platinum blondes- white is more like it but you get the pic.
Hope you do well on it.
Hearts

I've had 6 treatments of Doxil with very few side effects. I continue to work, exercise, and do all my normal activities. Yes, my hands and feet get a little red and dry for a few days, but lotion helps that. If I eat tomatoes or other acidic food I get a minor mouth sore, but that goes away if I don't continue to eat acidic foods. I have worn gloves all winter to protect my hands from the cold. I occasionally have constipation, but eating lots of vegetables and fruits keeps that problem at bay.

By all means go to the Doxil website and sign up for the Doxil Cares program. A nurse will call to check up on you to see how the Doxil is affecting you and will give you advice. They also sent me a goodie box containing many things--I use the Udderly Smooth Cream all the time for my hands and feet. You can get that at Ace Hardware or in the medicine section at WalMart. Someone on this site said that they are out of the goodie boxes at the minute, but the advice is still good.

Follow-up to my doxil treatment. I had a severe reaction after my second treatment. Still dealing with it. I broke out in hives, my hands and feet swelled so back that I couldn't move them. I used udder cream and my Dr said I have to wait it out. I couldn't use my hands for a few days. Very painful unfortunately. Someone suggested that I take Pepcid and Benadryl together, because that's what allergist use for allergic reactions. Any thoughts?

I have only had one Doxil treatment 3 wks ago and so far no hair loss. My dr said that I would have no hair lose, but then I have heard that a few do. Even after only 3 wks, I have had several side effects...red, hot palms and soles of feet, body rash and nausea. Hope and pray there are no more.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders