1st bowel movement after surgery--took 1 week!

Hello,
I just had my staging surgery with hysterectomy last Monday June 14th. I was in the hospital for 3 days after the surgery and every day I was asked if I had had a bowel movement. I hadn't. Which seemed perfectly understandable considering I had been on a liquid diet since the day before surgery, but it was concerning to me that the nurses/doctors kept asking me about this. And because I hadn't had a bowel movement or passed gas yet, I was kept on liquids until Thursday, the day I was released. I didn't feel much like eating that day or the next couple of days, so I didn't get a lot of fiber which prolonged the bowel movement and the pain killers I was taking also were contributing to my constipation. By Sunday my stomach was so bloated and I was miserable. I was scared something was wrong with my bowel--why was nothing happening? I spent Sunday eating dried plums, had a bit of prune juice, lots of water, a cup of herbal laxative tea called "Smooth Move", an apple and some tuna casserole with broccoli. Before I went to bed I also took a stool softener "Colace" and at 4am the next morning I FINALLY had my first bowel movement since the surgery. I am not sure which of the above items I ingested helped me, but I wanted to list them so that in case it helps anyone else out there is feeling as miserable and desperate as I was!

19 replies. Join the discussion

Yay! For bowel movements! I'm surprised they let you leave the hospital without at least having gas. Glad you are home. Hope everything went well.
Anne

As soon as I passed gas they let me go. The last thing we're worried about after surgery is pooping, but the constipation is terrible. I've found that taking a stool softener every few days does wonders for me.

When I was walking the halls trying to pass gas one of the doctors suggested I try chewing gum. Next thing you know.... toot, toot.... I was calling my husband to come get me :). Anyway, congratulations on your special delivery. I swear by prunes. Crazy the things we get excited about. I was really scared the first time since I had a bowel resection. Even still I'm just happy to be going every day.

Good replies ladies. Ya gotta get that gas out for sure. Holy crap! Now that is another matter. lol. Took me a while and I was hardly eating at all. I have always had this problem and now thank goodness for miralax. Fiber, fiber, fiber as the docs say. Might as well live in the woods and eat all the stuff out there. lol. Be well....Jan (So. Calif)

Isn't it funny how we can come in here and we're so comfortable talking about pretty much anything with each other....lol.

I had my surgery April 26th. I had to wait until until Thursday to leave because I couldn't pass gas either. I hadn't been married a year yet and hadn't passed gas in front of my husband once.....so here I am at the hospital after major surgery, he is sleeping in the same bed with me the whole time, and I needed to pass gas. Needless to say, my body finally started working so I got to go home! The constipation didn't happen for me until after 2nd chemo, then I think I went 10 days!!!. I am being sooo proactive this time (I had my 3rd session today). I have been faithfully taking stool softeners, eating fiber, drinking prune juice, eating metamucil wafers, and eating activia. I don't know which one is working, but I'm going daily finally and will not stop taking these measures to avoid a repeat of THAT discomfort. So glad you were able to go!!!!

lig,

It is silly I know, but chewing gum gets you to swallow air which you normally don't. Next thing....

Bob

Funny how you become so thankful for the ability to pee and poo! Turns out those things are kind of important : )

Aren't you glad when shit happens?

LOL

Thanks, ladies. I needed the laughs. Milk of magnesia was my wonder worker.

foothillsrider, I'm still grinning!

Dgmc--I have been married almost 9 years and had not passed gas in front of my husband either! Well, not purposely at least :) He giggled like a 4 year old when I did it. How repressed is that?!?

Thanks for all the support--I have never been so happy to poo :) I will have to remember the gum trick--I hadn't realized that!

Happily, it was a while ago, but I still remember that fresh Watermelon did the trick! It's a great natural laxative & in season now,

Shela

Been married 30 years, have 6 kids, 2 dogs, and a cat; I fart? blame the dog, or the youngest child.

guess I hold the record, I was in hospital ten days waiting for a bowel movement
After four days (when I suppose to go home) it seemed like every five minutes someone was asking me if I had pooped yet. Finally my surgeon said he thought I was getting too strssed out over it and said he was letting go home. withing five minutes I had a bowel movement- Dr popped his head in the door and said with a smile " I knew that would work"

Well, I hate to admit this, but have great experience with these issues, unfortunately! I've had IBS my whole life, and I learned the hard way with my first ovarian surgery, how to get it all out, but it took me some time and great discomfort, coupled with anxiety about it.

When I had my gallbladder out, I knew I'd need some help with the bowell movement problem, and the hospital staff was very cooperative with administering a fiber drink and dulcolax with my meal, so I had no problems with that stay.

Six months later with my TAH, I again asked for a fiber drink and dulcolax, because of my history of problems and IBS, but for some reason they wouldn't give it to me (?). I eventually hammered a ton of water, and asked for honey lemon tea, just to get it going. I was kinda mad they didn't help me along with it and give me the fiber drink, because when i got home, I did this very thing for myself any way, due to being on pain meds, etc. So I don't see wtf difference it made whether the nurses gave it to me or not. They told me I needed a prescription from my Dr. first in order for them to give me that (??). It was kind of dumb, and just set me back a day with getting myself normal again.

Glad you finally got it going and your guts are working good!!!! People who are always "normal" have no idea how distressing not going poop can actually be!!! UGH!!!!

Peace,
chorse

Oh foothillsrider, that was a precious opportunity and I am so glad you pounced on it. I have been laughing my head off ever since I read that. My sister and I joke that we talk about her bowels more than our 89 yr-old mother and her assisted-living friends do. It's important to be grateful for the little things in life, and even better when they are bigger...

Lol! You ladies crack me up!! But OMG - to be able to pass gas and go poopie - makes u wanna stand up and jump for joy (um, well, no jumping going on with me right now - too much incision pain - LOL) !

Before my surgery - I would get these gas pockets up under my rib cage and i honestly thought i was gonna die, until a coworker helped me realize what they were. So i stopped at the pharmacy on the way home from work that day and bought some Gas-X and then OMG - started belching and farting and it was like a huge weight was taken off..... I was literally thanking God for letting me pass gas! Ha ha! im sure the good Lord got a chuckle out of that one too! :-) Thank you Lord for the gift of humor; we have enough obstacles in front of us, and humor is the gift that will get us through...... :-)

Gas-X for everyone! I never thought of that. I'm surprised they don't give it to us in the hospital. Maybe they want to keep us there a few extra days. Hmmmm!
Have a happy fourth!
Anne

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders