Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Yeast Infection

Have been fighting nasty (WOC nurse described it this way) yeast infection on tummy and around stoma for 2 weeks. Am being treated at WOC clinic but not getting better. Have taken round of oral antibiotics plus powders and sprays. Anyone out there been thru this? I will be going in for removal of rectum/anus on Oct 7 and need this cleared up prior.

10 replies. Join the discussion

Me, me me! My wound from surgery wasn't healing so they put me on heavy duty antibiotics. Now I have a yeast infection on the skin around the stoma and the wound. We used Karaya paste on a tongue depressor. It is MUCH better now.

susan

I had a yeast infection not long before my revision surgery. I was worried that I would not be able to have the surgery. It actually took me3 pills, which is 3 rounds of Diflucan. It did take care of it. I also used Lotrimin power. It cleared up. Hope this helps.

Hugs
Donna

I also found that keeping fabric between my skin and any plastic of the bag helps. Cotton or a wicking fabric stoma bag cover might help to keep sweat and moisture from gathering under the bag against the skin helps. I am double immune suppressed and will soon be on three of them from Crohn's flare and so yeast and I are not friends.

If nothing else works, you might try seeing a dermatologist about the yeast infection. I know that it may sound funny, but I've found that spreading plain yogurt on a yeast infection and letting it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off and putting on my new stoma appliance helps. Good luck -- I hope you get it cleared up soon.
Love and Light, Candace

I use "Melalucca Oil" with Nystatin powder (by prescription only). the oil helps the powder get into the skin. this helped clear up my yeast problem. I also always blow-dry my appliance after every shower, the less moisture there, the better.

What kind of antibiotic are you on. They normally cause yeast. Diflucan can help...an anti yeast pill that Donna mentioned.

Had one that went on for weeks. Finally figured out what it was. They gave me an anti fungal and I cut down
on the sugar intake. Also used liquid bandage after putting on the anti fungal powder. Cleared up in
a week. The biggest thing that helped was cutting way back on sugar though. But we are all different
that way.

Taking a probiotic may be helpful, and continue to stay on it especially while on antibiotics. Candace's suggestion makes sense because the probiotics in the plain yogurt would be friendly to the skin, and it certainly would not hurt to try. If you like and tolerate them, add some cultured products to your diet, such as kefir, buttermilk, yogurt, etc. ... make sure they have no sugar added. Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

I am on my second round of antibiotics for a yeast infection my skin is very red and rashy around my stoma and itches like crazy. My sister is a nurse and a stoma nurse she works for said to try hydrofera blue that is to help with itching and irritation. I am going to see if I can get some ordered has others tried it and does it work?

On Friday I was put on a 10 day course of Diflucan. A month ago I tried a 3 day course that did nothing. Also, WOC gave me an anti-fungal powder. Hope it works this time as my surgery is 2 weeks away. I've read a lot of posts on the pain of having your rectum/anus removed and it doesn't sound fun. What a shame, I'm just now feeling 100% since having ileostomy on May 6 and the thought of loosing this is depressing.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders