Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Taking ADVIL and Tylenol with ileo

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a tooth and my doctor recommended I take Tylenol and Advil to make it thru the night comfortably. Would you believe I have not had any meds since surgery 3 yrs ago? What has been your experience with absorption? Or did they go right thru?
Thanks, Donna

22 replies. Join the discussion

You can use the tablet form of Tylenol and Advil. Don't use the coated tablets or they will come out in your bag. We can't use extended release either for the same reason. Liquid is better too but tastes nasty. Hope this helps.
Sheral

Thank you Sheral. I got your message too late and took Advil coated tablets! I am drinking some hot broth, maybe that will help dissolve them by chance. I'll see. I just hope they don't cause any problems coming out. I appreciate your reply. Again, thanks!

Hi S-mile... The quickest would be the gel cap.. they dissolve quickly.. I hope what you took is helping..
You can test it in a little bit of vinegar in a bowl..enough to cover it.. If it does not break down.. then it won't in your system. The vinegar simulates the stomach acid that breaks down our food we eat. You can test everything you take.. including vitamins and such.

If all all possible.. we should stay away from enteric coated meds... If there is a fair amount of colon left.. then some may be absorbed.. but not for an ileostomy.

Tooth pain is horrible!! Good luck!!
mare

Thanks Mare! I took 2 Tylenol and 3 Advil at my doctor's advise and something is working cuz I AM feeling better. I may actually get some sleep tonight after all. Then off to see the dentist tomorrow for sure! Wouldn't you hate to have a job that means nobody wants to see you? Well, maybe a love/hate kind of relationship! Hate paying that money, love the relief!
I'll try the vinegar test out of curiosity..may have to buy some though. I haven't used vinegar in a long time. Thanks for the heads up!
Donna

Good morning Donna,
Happy to see that your pain subsided a bit!! yea!! If you don't normally use vinegar.. borrow some from a neighbor just for the testing.

Yes.. there is a HIGH rate of suicide among dentist because people do hate to go to them..and many take it personally. I would not want the job.... On the reverse.. the dentists hate how their patients feel about their profession..but love their money$$$

Praying you get relief this morning.
Have a good day.
Mare

Hi Mare - the dentist I went to must have needed a new Mercedes - he took X-rays, gave me a cursory exam, and in another visit extracted one tooth - $800! - including $150 for the nitrous oxide I needed to make it through the procedure. Fortunately I found a new one who actually cleaned my teeth and will charge me $400 to take care of 5 old and missing fillings, with complimentary nitrous! What a difference. I Emailed the first dentist my displeasure and he called me yesterday, saying he did not want any dissatified patients - duh! Just told him I have a new dentist now and hung up - as opposed to what I would have liked to say - @#%
off! LOL

Hugs from Marge

Good for you Marge.. finding another dentist who cares ..and is not out to rob people! Your first one is an ass! I had a tooth pulled and they told me to have an implant done because my teeth will shift.. Well.. that implant would have been $3,000 +... I don't think so!!! My insurance would have only paid $1,000.. so.. needless to say.. I have this gap in the back of my mouth.. that will never see an implant..nor a bridge.. which was near $2,000.. still not afforadable!!! ugh..

It's mornng now and I hope you made it through the night without pain, Donna. I don't think there is anything worse than a tooth ache. It's been years since I had one.

As far as dentists are concerned, I have been seeing the same one for the last 22 years. I have watched him age from a young man with little children to a middle aged man with college age children. I like him very much and his billing is pretty much on par with other dentists here. I never mind going for my six month check up and teeth cleaning takes about 15 minutes. I always kid and ask if the charges will be cut in half since the cleaning took such a short time. He laughs and sends the usual bill.

Blessings,
Alan

Alan - do you think I can get a discount because I have one less tooth than I did a few weeks ago? Herb doesn't get a cut from the barber because he only has a fringe of hair left! LOL

Hugs!

Marge, I'm afraid not, on both counts. Nice try!!
Blessings,
Alan

I have had an Ileostomy for 13 months. I regurally take the generic equivalents of Tylenol and Advil,
and have no problem digesting them, but I do take the gelcap versions. As a result, if possible,
I try (if available) to take the gelcap versions of other meds (e.g. fish oil, etc.). Otherwise, we have a pill
crusher, and we can and do use it.
Gibber

Gibber, haven't seen a post from you for a long time. You doin' okay?
Blessings,
Alan

Alan, good to hear from you! How are you doing? I had surgery on 11th of September to remove
last few inches of colon and rectum. It was causing lots of drainage, and some cancer still there.
Surgery went fine, now have a permanent Ileostomy. Out in 7 days, then back in for additional two
weeks due to infection from surgery. Now at home, and recovering nicely!
Gibber

I'm doing fine, Gibber. It's now been seven months since my surgery. I couldn't be better, really. Thanks for asking about me.
Blessings,
Alan

Thank you all for your posts. My dentist has called in a perscription for anitbiotics and will see me on Monday. I know that I can take a couple of Tylenol until the amoxycillin kicks in, so I will be fine until then. Hope you all have a great weekend!
Hugs to you all,
Donna

I hope a wish for a great weekend doesn't mean you won't be posting through the weekend. I'd miss your posts. You always have things to write that I need to hear.
Blessings,
Alan

Alan,
A sweet message to lift my spirits is much appreciated!
Big hugs and thanks,
Donna

Donna - hope your dentist visit went well. I, too, had to take amoxycillin before they would extract my tooth - because I have had a hip replacement almost 4 years ago - go figure! The pharmacist gave me capsules, and remembering reading the posts here, had the dentist prescribe the liquid form that they give to children - cherry-flavor, yuck! All went well, however, and I have an appointment on the 29th to have 3 fillings with a new dentist. Some of my old fillings have to be about 50 years old - no wonder they need to be repaired. Will wait to hear good news from you.

Love and hugs from Marge

I always use either regular or extra strenght Tylenol that is uncoated for pain relief. I have found they are absorbed much easier than the coated tablets and Advil.

I did it only once, they just came out in my bag. Now I use the tablem form of generic advil.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders