Save 15% on Ostomysecrets

Surgery in my future

I am waiting to hear from doctor. When he gives me surgery date, should I order samples of supplies and underwear to have with me? Or wait and see what Ostomy nurse says? I like to plan ahead and have supplies I will need. I will be away from home and want to be prepared. Please give me your take on this

19 replies. Join the discussion

When I had my surgery, I did not order anything. The ostomy nurse will come and see you after surgery and will have some supplies to get you started. My nurse also gave me contacts to call to order supplies and told me the ones that are easiest to start with. i hope your surgery goes well and healing is swift:)

Kerri

I'm having my surgery in 2 days and I was going to order supplies too things like a stealth belt. After thinking about it, I decided that it was best to wait as after surgery there will be weight loss and the body shape may change.

Glad I asked the question. Thank you!!

fufuswl, wait! I had no idea what supplies to order had I wanted to. The ostomy nurse at the hospital will be in to see you probably the day after your surgery, perhaps the same day. She/he will begin to teach you many things about your pouch, which will have been attached at the end of your surgery. At first, it will seem overwhelming but is truly isn't. You'll want to watch closely as she changes your pouch so you can begin to understand what to do.
You should have an ostomy nurse who will come to your residence to help you for a few weeks. She/he will be different than the one who helped you at the hospital. This one will teach you how to empty your pouch. Also, how to change your pouch. She/he is the one who will help you order your supplies. She/he will be invaluable to you because of their knowledge and experience.
Even this post might seem overwhelming but it really isn't. I am almost nine months post-op. I had to learn everything, too, as did everybody else. It's really simple. Mostly common sense.
You're going to be fine. I promise. Looking ahead to this surgery can be daunting but the fear is a lot worse than the surgery itself.
We are all here pulling and praying for you. Keep us posted.
Blessings,
Alan

One more thing to keep in mind is you dont know what size your stoma will be until after the surgery.

Thank you for replying.

All great answers! Your body shape may change with surgery, as well as weight loss, etc. Your doctor will need to order consult for ostomy nurse to come to your home (so insurance will pay for it). Try to keep her/him visitng until you are completely confident on your own!

Yes I knew that doctor had to order nurse. I cared for my husband who had ALS and my mother so had experience with nurse situations. It is different when you have to think about all of this for yourself.

Yes, it is, fufuswl, but you'll be fine. Many times we discover we are much stronger than we think we are.
Blessings,
Alan

I will chime in and say wait. They sent us home (my husband had the surgery) with enough for several weeks and the home health nurse also brought supplies. As time goes on, my husband's requirements have changed and we will be changing what we use. There is so many styles that you really won't know what you prefer until you have used the "standard stuff" the hosp sends you home with. We also got a Starter sample pack from Hollister. It contained various styles that we could try. Check different brand's websites for other sample starter packs.

After the surgery, you will wake with a wafer and pouch in place. AT this point you have no idea of what size stoma you will have and that it will change after you have begun to heal. So the chances of anything you might order now, being what you need in a couple of weeks is very poor. This is one of those time when trying to plan the outcome will get you nowhere. The surgery and your recovery is enough for you to deal with right now, Let the nurses worry about your supply needs at first. Good luck and I hope you get all the benefits from the surgery you are hoping for.

Thank you

Fufuswl,
I had a friend go purchase a few new pair of underware for me before I came home from the hospital. The high rise style that come to my waist. They are very nice to help keep you bag in place. I even wear them at night to keep my bag from flip flopping. Good luck with everything and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Shirley

I agree with my friend Shirley about the comfortable hign rise underwear. I am 9 months from my surgery and I have tried many kinds. My all time favorite is from SOMA online with the soft pretty lace at the top. I ordered a size up so I would even be more comfortable. I love them! They are less expensive then Ostomy Secrets and where my Stoma was placed works much better for me. Soma run specials every once in a while...have a special sale now I think, sometimes have them for 5.00 when you buy several pairs they normally 15.00 each! The lace top is really nice!!!
When I came home from the hospital they gave me all the supplies I needed. Then when my home health care nurse started coming she helped me also.
I had purchased larger underwear before I went but ended up cutting them in waist because i could not wear anything tight...wish I had found lace tops at Soma before surgery, I think I would of felt prettier too! :] Best of luck to you. You will be in my thoughts also!

Thank you so much will get some.

I too suffered for 40 years with uC. I went willingly into the surgery after just throwing in the towel on ever leaving the house again without this surgery. Best decision I ever made. I had the rectum closed off at the same time. The stoma was on the abdomen and the rectal cut was done while I was in stirrups. This was 10 years ago and maybe it is done differently now. The suregery took about 7 hours total. I woke up with the pouching g system in place and on an iV Morphine drip. Cathetirized and bagged. The stoma (for me anyway) started working within 12 hours, but everyone is different. You will have a stoma nurse check on you and explain everything. Plus give you products to take home. Despite all of what i went through, nothing compares to being FREE of cramps and bleeding caused by UC. It is a cure and we are fortunate in that way. Crohns can be so much more complicated. Try to look at the bright side of this. YOU will be cured. You will also be very weak which was very frightening to me. I was also very dehydrated when I got home. My fingers were spasming. I was hooked up at home for fluids and potassium to use 12 hours a day.I was still jsut happy to be home. (I had to insist on this and my doctor THEN ordered it) Within days of proper fluids I started to gain strength. If you are going to prepare ahead of time, perhaps buy some cases of ensure. I needed to drink several a day to keep weight or in my case gain weight since I was undernourshed. Plus bottles of Gatorade helped. But I gained strength little by little and was so happy to be free of cramps. I would do it again in a minute. I probably waited too long actually. MY colon fell apart during removal. I am glad you are preparing. I did that too and we are very fortunate to have that time to prepare. Most of all prepare mentally, be very positive, and don,t expect miracles immediately. It takes time. You may never need the xtra IV,s but be aware of your fingers and toes spasming. I was also not drinking enough so drink drink drink. By the 10th day home I went to the doc to remove the rectal stitches. OUCH! The stomach staples dissolved by themselves. I was doign pretty well by then though. I recall wearing hi heel boots. BUT walking real slow.LOL So I hope I did not scare you in any way. I just t want you to be prepared. As I said, I would do it again in a minute, compared with the suffering I went through for so long with the uC. The prednisones, 6MP (like k humira now) rectal foams, prednasone enemas. And FEAR. As much as the bag is a bit of a bother it beats the suffering I had with uC. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Cookielin, as my nurse told me: I used to be tied to the bathroom. Now it's tied to me. A much better arrangement. Would I rather not have the pouch? Of course, I would. But I'll take it any day compared to what I had to live through every day before the surgery.
Blessings,
Alan

Thanks everyone for your great stories and suggestions.

Alan, that is a good little saying ! And so true. At least we have more control. Not perfect, but far better then UC.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders