Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

stoma plugs

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of stoma plugs? Coloplast used to make them but discontinued. I have heard that they are made in Europe.

Bergy in Colorado

18 replies. Join the discussion

I've never heard of such a thing. What are they?
Blessings,
Alan

I have heard of a stoma cap but not plugs. See the Edgepark web site but I don't think they are what you are looking for.

The Phoenix Magazine put out by UOAA had an article or advertisement of it in one of their back issues. It couldn't have been but about two years ago and maybe a year ago. I'm not sure. I know I saw it and I agree with you in as much as I would like more information on it as well. I was just out of surgery when I saw it and not in much mood for dealing with anything.. Let's try and find it..
Michael

Michael,
It sure is good to see your screen name listed. I know then that you have a post I'll want to read.
Everything okay with you?
Blessings,
Alan

Alan,

The stoma plugs were the size and design of the stoma caps but with a foam plug of a couple inches in length attached. You insert the plug into your stoma and snap the device to your flange. It works great for holding in gas and output. It only works for those of us who irrigate.

Bergy

Thanks Alan and Bergy,
I neglected to explain what the plug was. LOL.. You Bet Alan and I'm so glad to know and hear that you are happy and coupled..
Tell Her that she is a lucky girl and You My Man are a lucky man..!!! Congrats to you both..
Robert and I are doing Ok and now even better since California Prop 8 was overturned.. I won't discuss it here on the board unless everyone doesn't mind, but We are planning as well..!! Today is a historical day for everyone..
Thanks Alan.. You Know, I survived all this stuff for a reason and THANK GOD I'm here to see all this... I almost wasn't..
Prayers and GOOD HEALTH,
Michael

Hi Bergy
Just cruising around the site here looking for info/advice on irrigating as only commenced this last week. I have stoma plugs on order - they take a while to arrive but should have them by the beginning of Sept sometime. Have you found a manufacturer yet. I sent in my paperwork for my supply so can't give you the manufacturers that supply us here in Australia but will gladly post when I receive them if you have had no luck in finding same. The ones we are offered come in 2 sizes of plug length -about 25 vs. 35mm. ours are a one piece and you just plug and stick the surrounding disc of bandaid material to the skin. anyway, let me know if you've not been able to track any down
Kind Regards
Bronnie

Bronnie,

I don't find ANY source of stoma plugs here in the U. S. Coloplast quit making them and no one else has entered the market. They are sooooo nice for those of us who can irrigate! Sure would appreciate any information you may have!

Bergy

Bergy,

I was curious if you found an answer to the stoma plug issue. While I don't irrigate, I have a very well behaved stoma - starts early and completes by about 6:30 to 7 am. So I created my own little stoma guard that goes over the flange. It protects the stoma and I can wear tight fitting jeans again without worrying! I admit that I still wear the bag. But your question has me thinking.

However, I found this on the internet. Designer colostomy stoma plugs! Wow! Have not yet found where they can be purchased.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2176425/Victoria-s-OTHER-Secret-D esigner-creates-world-s-lingerie-colostomy-bags-partners-off.html

Miriam

OK, received my supplies here in Brisbane. And they're GREAT!.
Made by Coloplast still, but manufactured in Denmark. Can't understand why they're not available in the US. They're called CONSEAL plugs. Item #1435- 10 to a box. I only need to irrigate every 2nd day now and they readily last me that length of time - and I'm sure longer if I pushed it but am unwilling to try.
I have just called Coloplast here in Australia, down in Victoria. They have given information as follows:
* 2 piece stoma plug has indeed been discontinued but the 1 piece still exists - plug inserts into stoma just like the 2 piece used to but the attatchment just adheres to the skin surface - apparently comes in 4 different sizes according to length of stoma-depth plus the stoma-width. My stoma is only relatively new so am using the smallest which is the item # above. I get no adverse skin reaction to this at all (was suffering itching and redness from the flanges plus pancaking and the one-piece bags gave me similar grief)
* there is a Coloplast contact in the US - Lisa Stevens: email address - uslste@coloplast.com
* there is also a toll free phone number M-F 7am-7pm but the phone prefix is for calls from Australia +1 888 726 7872. I guess if you cancelled out the +1 it could/would be the same number if you rang from the US.
I hope this is of some assistance in tracking them down Bergy. If you have no luck get back to me and I'll get in touch with Victoria again to get more info - maybe a Denmark address will be of some help if above info gets no hits.
Good luck
Kind Regards
Bronnie P

Bronnie P - THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! I shall continue to pursue the plugs. Using them is like NOT having a colostomy because the bag, the noise, the output is ALL GONE. Perfect for intimacy but I'm 64 now so who cares. Ha!

Well, Bergy you sure don't look 64!! Must be doing something right :) I hope the info gets you reconnected with the plugs but don't hesitate to get back if you have difficulties - as I said, I'll follow up with Coloplast down south. As you say, it's like not having a colostomy when you can irrigate and have the little button-plug. Hey Bergy, does your stoma ever get 'sore'? Just a low-grade inflammatory 'sore' feeling? I was of the belief that there was very little nerve tissue in that mucous membrane. Anyway, have a great 'trick or treat' over there.
Regards
Bronnie P

Thanks, Bronnie! Guess I'm healthy other than getting cancer at age 46. That was a reaction to losing my 9 year old son, I believe.
No, I can't say that my stoma gets sore. And, I use two piece appliances so my skin doesn't get irritated from removing the adhesive as I change out the flange only a couple times/month. I did contact the person you mentioned but got a "out of office" reply.

I have found them up to last year at coloplast I am at work so dont have the number but got a box just for "slower times"

Assura Stomakappe (Art. Nr. 2501)- I'm in Germany where Coloplast is bigtime. Translated : look for the Assura Stoma Cap #2501. Maybe Lisa Stevens would know about them.

Hi Bergy
I agree with you there. Great trials and trauma in life can certainly set these things off. Your sadness would surely be a great pain to carry for a lifetime. I am so sorry. The loss of a child goes against all things acceptable to the human psychie. Especially a mothers' psych.
Were you able to get any response to the email address I sent? If not, then I can get a Denmark phone number from down in Victoria and talk to Denmark on Skype and see just who is available closest to Colorado if that would help. I don't see how you would be able to use a flange with the current plug. If you would like to email me your postal address I will send you a couple to trial if you like:
bronniep7@gmail.com
Do let me know if they've responded to your call or if you've made email contact. If not, then there will b other ways to attack this dragon :) Look after yourself Bergy. Stay well.
Kind Regards
Bronnie P

Hi Bronnie, You are so kind. Turns out the FDA here in the U.S. no longer allows manufacturing of stoma plugs as they are considered INVASIVE. I then asked the rep if there was any way I could buy them abroad. I'll let you know. Thanks soooo much!
Bergy

That's really interesting Bergy. and a little confusing. There are many appliances that can be considered 'invasive'. My 'terrific' (NOT) new pessary insert that is holding my insides-in for the 12 months I need to wait for surgery, for one. Pacemakers for another - nothing wrong with those. Breast etc implants, the list goes on endlessly these days. Maybe they know of some adverse effects from the plug that we're not privy to. How long did you previously use the plugs. I gather you had no adverse effects from same or you wouldn't be seeking them out. I really find that to be strange - the statement that they no longer make them in the USA because they are invasive. Unless a plug was to become contaminated prior to insertion I can't see it being any different from an anal sphincter. As I told you, my supplies come out of Denmark ( we don't make a whole lot of stuff out here in Aus - just Koala bears and Kangaroos :) - we're more into raping the land for it's natural mineral deposits etc!!) I can find out the Denmark contact for you if it would help - though if you import they may tax you megga-bucks like we do on medical imports. Well, I guess you won't know if you don't try. I will be very 'put-out' if they stop importing them out here. They're a large part of the reason I've coped with this whole process. Please let me know if you find out anything more about why the US has discontinued manufacture.
Stay well Bergy
Kind Regards
Bronnie P

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders