Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

raw skin

I just registered and hope this group can help me.
My skin is raw from the edge of my barrier to my stoma. The rash is not from my waste since my barrier comes loose from the edges towards the stoma. I've had leakage from my stoma and it looks entirely different. I had a adverse alergic reaction to Hollister Nu Image products.
I might 2 days wear time at the most. Many, many days I've had to change barrier 6 times a day.
I keep my skin dry and have used too many products to help the barrier stick. NO luck.
Does anyone have any suggestions to heal my skin but still be able to wear my ileostomy pouch?
Thank you

21 replies. Join the discussion

It is time to see the wcon (ostomy nurse).You may be having an allergic reaction to your products and may need to switch to a different company. Each product is a little bit different and the adhesives also differ. you can find a wcon at an ostomy center of a large hospital, or call your surgeon and get a phone number and reccomendation. If you need to you also can loook in Yellowpages for Wound centers. Which has ostomy nurses on staff. But do soemthing. you need to keep the skin around the stoma pink and healthy or you risk infection if the skin is breaking down. Keep us posted.

I am having similar issues. I just went through a patch test to see what my skin is reacting to. I had three positives, called Hollister and they say none of their products contain those particular allergens. Dr. said I may be stripping my skin having to change wafer every two days. Not much leakage until 'output' gets stuck at top of bag.
I am using Clobetasol foam ......steroid. It helps but know I cannot use it much longer because of side effects.
Are you using a barrier wipe? It is supposed to create a film under wafer area to help protect skin. They were helpful to me til my skin got too raw to use them.
Let us know if you find something helpful. I am sorry you are having a hard time. It is bad enough having an ostomy and now the skin problems that can go with it. Sarah

I've had really bad excoriated (red, raw, painful) skin when I was having problems with my ostomy fit. I saw the WOCT nurse at my local hospital, and it turned out that I needed a convex barrier coupled with a stoma support belt in order to get at least a couple of days between barrier changes. I really think that you need to see the WOCT nurse ASAP! This is an emergency situation, and they should fit you in first thing -- I know my stoma care nurse would do that for me, and has in the past. As far as barrier wipes go, I use ReliaMed stingless barrier wipes. The thought of you using anything but a stingless wipe makes me cringe in sympathetic pain. You can use the stingless wipes even on excoriated skin without pain. You may be having an allergic reaction, but I suspect that it's from the frequency of changes. I feel for you, and hope that you get some relief -- quickly!! Best of luck, Candace

I'm having the same skin issues and I think it's a combination of frequent changes of wafer and the adhesive remover by Convetec and the one by ReliaMed. Does anyone know of another product or way to help get wafer off? I have leakage around the stoma but rest of wafer is difficult to loosen. I called all the hospitals in Jacksonville, FL to find an ostomy nurse that will see patients either at the hospital or come to home, but none have such a service. I found one through my primary care MD. She charges $75. per visit. If you're housebound, Medicare will pay most of fee. I told her, all the things I've tried & she said she didn't know what else to tell me. Advice appreciated. Chloe

I tried a no sting remover but it did sting. I have found something that works . I use it very sparingly so as not to increase skin irritation. It is cld Detachol...latex free..the only ingredient is paraffin hydrocarbons. It is liquid. They may have wipes..don't know. I take one of those qtips that have the very pointed top ....can find them in makeup area in drugstores.....and put the Detachol on it. I then lift a corner of the wafer and use the qtip under the wafer to ease it off. It does not take much and you don't have to use it on the entire area.
I will ask about convex. Thank you.

I checked and could not find Detachol wipes. Amazon sells the liquid. They even have small sample vial you could try for $8.
Sarah

Chloe & Equinez - So sorry to hear of all of the problems that you are having with your skin. This is not an easy issue to deal with every day.

Have either of you tried the powder under the wafer that helps a lot, also the belt that someone mentioned above.,

The advise of finding a WOCN nurse above is truly great advise but Chloe it seems that you are not having very much luck with that. That stinks, expecially when one just gives up on you saying that there is nothing else that can be done. That is not necissarily true and it ticks me off that they are giving up on you so easy. Have you tried looking up WOCN nurse on-line, here is a one site that i found. I didn't have a chance to really investigate it, but thought to give it to you just in case. It seemed that I found more websites for Jobs for WOCN nurse in Florida, obviously they need to hire some ; - )

http://www.wocn.org/

I wish there was more I could do and there will be more following me that have more experience in this than I do.

Always
JRo

Hi Equinez, I have just recently got over a bad skin rash. I used what Sarah used Clobesol Foam. It comes in a cream,but wafer wont stick if use that. The foam goes in better and was told to use a hair dryer after appling on cool. I am soso thankful I found that.
Hope you can try that,and good luck.
God Bless,
Faye

Chloe, I get in the shower and let warm water run over wafer as I gently pull the wafer off. I cant use the adhesive wipes either.
It hard to get off,and I wont to try what Sarah recommended( Detachol) maybe wont be alergic to it,if use a little.sure was a lot easier when could use a remover.It hard on our skin when we cant. Best of Luck to you.
God Bless,
Faye

Sarah, did you order the Detachol liquid from Amazon,or did you ever find the wipes anywhere. I would love to get some Please.Let me know .Sure would appreciate it. You can email me if you like at Mar40@att.net. I am suppose to change my email address tomorrow with another carrier. Hope You can email me before I change it. I will keep following the Post if dont hear from you.
Thanks ,
Blessings,
Faye

I got my Detachol from an ostomy nurse. Anyone interested can either get it on amazon or ask your ost supplies company if they have it.

Hi there. I am almost a year out for my colostomy. I have terrible allergies to tape so was so worried about this issue. I change my appliance MWF; leave it on Saturday and Sunday and then go back to the MWF...
However, for the last 3 months I have had terrible itching...I mean terrible...the skin around the stoma is bumpy, but not itching but around the tape and the harder plastic...so I know I am allergic to the tape. I think I am allergic too, to the material Hollister uses for the bag...so...here is what I do:
I wear a "stoma-T"...I cut out a hole in a baby t-shirt and wear that around the flange so my skin does not make contact with the bag material...that has helped almost everything...even the bumps right around the stoma...I also got into the habit of using ADAPT stoma powder from Hollister and that has helped...BUT the biggest key to me was the bag material and getting that away from my skin. Around August, Hollister started using another material in their flange products and that is when some of the itching began...and by November, I was miserable...

By the way, I also put Desitin around the edge of the flange tape and that helped...
It is surely miserable to itch...just miserable, so I hope you find some help...as for the nurses...they can only help with the clinical side...that's all they know...it is those of us WITH the condition that have the "tricks of the trade"...

Jerri

Oh...and one more thing...I do use the adhesive remover TAC Away. and that has also helped clean the tacky stuff away from the stoma. BUT the Relia-Med protective barrier wipes nearly sent me through the roof with itching...

Jerri

Thank you so much everyone !
I should have mentioned I have been working with my WOCN nurse; also Coloplast is helping alot !
I'm using a "patch" called Brava - it goes against my raw skin and the barrier goes on top of it.... so far so good. Everyone keeps reminding me it's going to take time, ugh.
It's frustrating because insurance only allows so many products per month. A person can't help it if you have medical issues as ostomates do. It's not like we can function without our appliances !!!

Take care everyone and I'll keep checking in ! :-)

Some insurance companies will pay for additional supplies if your Dr sends them a " letter of necessity" saying you need more supplies due to your particular problems. Maybe worth a try. Sarah

Hello Jeri,

I am sorry I am trying to picture what you were going thru. Are you saying that the pouch (bag) is causing your skin to break out? With my underwear which goes up against the wafer the pouch is on the outside of it. Did it even go thru that? Or am I seeing this wrong. Sorry I just like to fully understand something so I can understand it in the future for others and I just had not heard of this before. I heard of the flange causing problems but not the pouch. Is it the waifer or the pouch that is causing the bumps around the stoma itself, and if it is the waifer how do you put the T-shirt around the waifer to help with that?

Sorry for all the questions I just like to understand, hope you understand.

Thanks!!

Always Jro

Hi, Jro....the bumps are around the stoma...never itchy...but the tape around the flange edge itches and it seems to be caused from the material on the bag that rests against my skin. The itching is terrible.
So I cut up a T-shirt and put a hole in it and then the t-shirt rests between the bag and my skin....sort of a modified pouch cover.
Last night I didn't get the T placed quite right so that it was resting between the bag and skin and sure enough, I started itching again...

Jerri

I hope that you get your issue figured out. I often get a really red area all the way around my stoma and yesterday it had a little blood. I know it's from stool leaking around the stoma as it pancakes a lot in that area. I use barrier wipes and stoma powder and hope that it isn't as irritated next change as its pretty common for me. I don't know if there is a paste or something that I can put around that area on the inside when I'm applying my pouch? I've never used any pastes etc. I should mention I have an Ilestomy so my output is often very watery as well. Only pasty when I eat too many carbs.. Potatoes, peanut buttered, noodles, etc. good luck with finding the right products that work for you. It sounds like you're on the right track :)

Lindsay

I am repeating a post I made to vintagechik
on December 5, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I have made a number of posts addressing irritation of the skin surrounding the stoma that reacts to the adhesives, and/or skin bacteria and fecal bacteria trapped and isolates against the skin by the annular adhesive that anchors the barrier wafer around the stoma. (See my Journal entry Posted June 28, 2011). I highly recommend use of wound care biocides like povidone compounds such as Betadine®, and my favorite Anasept® Antimicrobial Skin & Wound Gel from Anacapa Technologies. I successively smear each biocide on and around my stoma and dry with a hair dryer and mount the wafer barrier.

Also many people have skin reactions to latex based adhesives that anchor the wafer barrier. I use 3 inch wide hypoallergenic paper tape from Kendall® to cover the skin around my stoma and stick the annular adhesive of the barrier wafer onto the surface of the tape.

The point is that the interface between the adhesive and skin is essentially moist and anaerobic and inevitably stimulates your immune system to react to anything organic such as latex and bacteria and/or fungi trapped in the adhesive.

Anasept® Antimicrobial Skin & Wound Gel, Kendall® paper tape & povidone compounds such as Betadine® all can be purchased online. Also I believe the Ostomy Suppliers offer the Anasept® Antimicrobial Skin & Wound Gel.

It's the wafer, not the pouch.
Going to see a dermatologist

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders