Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Pouch leaks

I just put a new pouch on and it started leaking within 15 min. I HATE that. Any tricks on getting the paste off. I used a remover wipe by hollister but didn't seem to work that well. Used water and a wash rag and that didn't work very well. I ennded just having to peel and scrpe it of with my nail. That makes the skin around the stoma very sensitive. I just put on another one and have my fingers crossed that this one doesn't leak. I can't figure out why some leak right after a apply it and other times it doesn't. From what I can tell I do it the same each time. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong. After I remove my pouch and have been in the shower I make sure the skin is good and dry. First I apply the paste on the appliance and then use skin prep around my stoma. When that is dry I press on the pouch and hold it there for several minutes. I do that every time I change the pouch. So why do I have leakage and sometimes I don't. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong. It really hurts when I have to clean off the new paste when it doesnt seal correctly. Any input would be appreciated on why it won't seal properly sometimes.

24 replies. Join the discussion

I may be klutzy, but paste always causes leaks for me. I do better with just a little bare space around the wafer. Alcohol gets paste off but if you have scratched your skin it will sting. Still, I'd get it off and leave it off. Make sure to make a seal with every bit of surface on the wafer and your skin. Change or clean the bag regularly to avoid leaks. I wear a two piece system and often pull off the bag, wipe it out with toilet paper, and clean off my stoma with more toilet paper. Makes for fewer changes, unless output is high. Then I just change. I wear disposable bags, but am considering bag liners to save more bags and money.

I prefer using a Eakin Cohesive Seal instead of paste. This is a Convatec product. Perhaps you might have more luck by trying another company's products. Sometimes it takes a while to find the products that suit you best. I have always used Convatec products and you can always call them for help. They have a wonderful nursing staff to help you.

I have tried the Eakin Cohesive seals from Convatec and the Adaptec from Holister. For me the Adaptec from Holister are easier for me to clean off. I use Convatec wafers and bags. I bought everything from the same company for 20 years and finally discovered not all products are equal. I agree with Dimpy. You can get free samples from the different companies and then use the ones that you like best. Sometimes it does take a while to find the products that suits you the best.

I use the new Brava thin paste strips which are very easy to mold around stoma and come off fairly simple. I am also trying the very thin 2mm rings called brava from coloplast. Much thinner than other brands I have tried. All with no leaks. The thin rings are harder to get off so I e-mailed my stoma nurse and she suggested tying Safe and simple peri-stoma wipes and adhesive remover. With no alcohol. I have very sensitive skin and these seem to work so far. The ring takes forever to pick off without them. Normally I only wash with warm water! Good Luck I hope this helps!

I have used the wafers by Hollister 2X. But both times the skin where the wafer was very red and itchy. No leaks though. I think I am allergic or just very sensitive to the wafer. Hunt and Dimpy I think I will call Convetec to get some samples. Do you have the 800 # . Can you post it for me and I will call on Monday. I love one of Convetec pouches but I had trouble with leakage so went with Hollister. I am still in the trial and error stage. I am close to getting it right.

To get paste off, I use an adhesife remover, but if you do not wash it off afterwards, it will cause the new appliance to not seal well and leak right away. I discovered this one day when I had to change mynwafer 3 times in one day because of immediate leaks. I cried so hardnthatbday and wanted to just quit. Thinking I'd never be able to leave house for fear of unexpected leakage. But, I discovered that if I used a warm water cloth to remove the adhesive remover liquid it helped greatly. I also use a hair dryer on low heatbsetting, to completely dry my skin prior to applying any appliance. I then use an eakin seal, which I also heat with dryer to make soft and easily moldable and thinner and sticker. Then aft applying I use dryer on top as i press I to skin to provide a good tight seal. I then use dryer to the seal of the wafer before attaching it to eakin seal and then again as i press to seal it to top of skin. Since adjusting to this routine, I have gone from nearly daily leaks and sometimes multiple daily leaks at very inappropriate times like store or movies :( to being able to go 4-5 days Max with no leakage and only changing because inner portion has worn down. Outer seal is till tight as a drum. But since inner stoma skin is burning it's telling me time for change. It takes a little longer to do this method at first and I suggestnlying on a towel and having extra cloths available in case you leak while taking extra steps. But once you get into hang of it, it flies by. I actually heat up eakin and stretching/molding it before removing existing appliance and then reheat as I'm about to apply. Hope this helps as i truly know your distress very well.

I also used adhesive remover and a warm wash rag. But since I had just put on the paste it was very sticky and it was a bear to get it off. If I have worn my pouch 3-4 days I have no trouble getting off the paste. It is just when I put a new pouch on and it develops a leak within that first day is when I have trouble getting off the paste. Usually if it is going to leak it will do so within the first hour. I am not sure what an ekin seal is. Is that the same thing as the moldable wafer. The wafer ( I've only used 2X ) irritates my skin. I use Hollister brand and hope to get a few sanples from Convetec and see how they work for me.

The phone number for Convatec is: 1-800-422-8811

email address is: CIC@convatec.com

mail address is: ConvaTec Professional Services
100 Headquarters Park Drive
Skillman, NJ 08558

Hope this is of some help to you!

Thank You Dimpy

The eakin seal is a wafer of material similar to that of the flange wafer, except it is simply a round disc which fits under your attachment wafer. It adds additional protection to skin and adds to the longevity of the wafer wear.

The eakin seal work good I used them. I really did not like that paste

Does the ekin seal help with irritation. Oh that is what I was calling a wafer. I use that instead of paste. But I think I am going to have to switch back to the paste because the wafer is causing some irritation.

Hi Tjane,

You are just putting the paste right around the opening and not all over the faceplate, right? Like putting a bead of toothpaste at the stoma opening on the faceplate. I noticed once when I thought everything was dry, a drop or more, maybe, fell unnoticed from my stoma just before I attached the faceplate and caused a leak. Sometimes you can look at the faceplate after you remove it for clues as to what might have happened. Also, I have a scar to the left of my stoma and invariably, that's where a leak begins for me, so I have to apply a little more paste there. Otherwise, it works well for me. Hope you find a solution..and quick!

The Convatec phone number is 1-800-422-8811 ask for Karen Karenta, she heads the 18 person nurse team, tell her Ben in Albuquerque suggest she would help you. She is very good, if she is unavailable Rachael or Shannon are very knowledgeable and have the knowledge you need.

S-mile I just put it around the stoma. This last time it seemed like the whole bottom didn't seal. I also have a deep scar that dents in around that same spot. I hear convatec has a good seal. I hope to get a few samples and hope I am not sensative to theres. Everyone has been so helpful. Thanks

I also use the Eakin Seals. They were a miracle for me. I rarely have a leak.

i use coloplast strip paste. it doesn't sting like the paste and you can roll it and mold it to the area you need it and it doesn't stick to your skin. the only problem i have is that i have a very liquidy high output illy and the stick paste tends to swell up and block the illy opening (still working on that) good luck.

Convatec is sending me two different pouches to use and the ring and there brand of remover wipes. I didn't feel like Hollister brand worked very well. So I feel I am on the right track and will evevntualy get exactly what I need . I guess it is the ole trial and error. I am excited cause it is so depressing to get a leak right after you change your appliance and it is realy rough on the skin when that happens.

Tjane,

That is good news, I was sure the Wound Nurses at would be able to help you with wafers and accessories that might help you. They certainly were the source of advise I needed when I was first trying to find appliances and accessories that worked at stoping my leaks, pancaking and vacuum forming in the pouch. Who did you get to speak with?

HI! tjane i use an adhesive powder made by --convatec--- it is - called stomahesive it comes in alitle bottle you squeeze the bottle it comes out as a fine powder mist it put that all around my stoma area and then i use a barrier wipe made by convatec
--- ALLKARE-- it is a small moist towelette about 1inch and the adhesive is fantastic i put that all around where the wafer is going
then i put the four strips of the nex care tape on put on the pouch lay down apply a little pressur from my hand and also work my finger around the flange on the wafer to make sure of the seal ----- the paste leaves to many air pockets you are just asking for trouble using that stuff get back to me with your reply good luck from hockey

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders