Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Popcorn

So I have a huge addiction to popcorn like i used to eat it every single night. Well now that I have my lovely colo sidekick, I was wondering if it is safe to eat??? What ya think? Experiences?

36 replies. Join the discussion

I think it depends on the person.. I myself am not brave enough to try it. Some have eaten it with no problems others it causes blockage :-/ sorry not very helpful on this one. :-(
angie

Me too! Just drink a lots along with it.

I was told not to eat popcorn because of the possibility of a blockage. The only thing I could recommend is try a little at a time and see how your body reacts to it.
Blessings,
Alan

I have a colostomy.. I eat popcorn almost every nite..but like others have suggested try a lil and see.. Hope for the best..

I have no problems when i eat popcorn. That is a good thing because popcorn is my favourite snack. Try a bit and see what happens. Jim

Popcorn? Someone mention popcorn......? Yes please!

(I've a colostomy, and don't seem to have a problem with it, but even if I did I'd probably still try to eat it!)

I adore Popcorn!!! It's my very fav thing in the world as for food!

But I can't have it any more. Popcorn is what started this mess, it caused a blockage which then caused a perforation and has given me Annie Fanny!

But ohhhhhhhhhhh how I wish I could have some.

I miss my popcorn too and it may or may not give me a problem but you couldn't pay me enough $ to try. Feels so good not to be in pain and I don't want to take a chance. I avoid popcorn and corn like the plague. Just me but as you all probably can tell by now I am a little over protected of "Stella" my stoma.

I have an ileostomy and eat popcorn whenever I want. I haven't had any problems with it. I just make sure that I have plenty of liquids with it. I would try a small amount at first to see if you can tolerate it.

TracieB, Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy? Pop[corn was always my favorite snack, but I was told not to attempt it with an ileostomy. I have faced several blockages for other foods, so I was wondering if I should try it? Terri-healthypeanutbutter

I eat popcorn a lot, but have found I just had to change the way I do, I eat the popped part not the hull or the kernal. The hull or kernal feel like I am digesting a sweet gum ball it just stabs and stabs and stabs like needle pricks. But once in a while since it doesnt stop me and cause me to roll on the floor it is worth it. But like needle pricks I try hard to only eat a little at a time

I eat it every time I go to the movies a big tub! Give it a try! Best of luck

I'm scared to try it with Gloria the Wonder Ileo, but I spoke with someone the other day who's had an ileo for eight years and they said that they eat it whenever they go to the movies.

My husband eats popcorn every night, and I have to leave the room. I love the smell popping, and adore the snack. Now, after battling several surgeries from blockages, of eating many foods, I need to get the courage to try again. The blockages had caused severe vomiting each time before being rushed to the hospital. After several times, it cause the stoma to prolapse and two hernias. I just came home the first week of March 2013, from the stoma being revised and one hernia being repaired. In a couple of weeks, I might attempt a little.

I love popcorn but eat very little now if at all. I've discovered Puffcorn Delight & it tastes just like real popcorn! There's butter, movie theatre butter, even caramel! :) Yummmm!!!

I think everybody who is not eating popcorn but loves it should be very careful. Everybody is different, as you all know, so what works for one may not work for another.
Blessings,
Alan

Your right Alan. Thats why anyone who wants to try some should start out with a little bit and chew good. Dont be shoving them in your mouth like the good old days. That might come later on.
Jim

I have to get some courage to try a small about.

Many of us will be craving popcorn tonight after this discussion.

Hi Terri,

I have a sigmod Colostomy. And I was told NEVER EVER to eat it again. And as much as I love it, it is the cause
of all my troubles that ended in almost ending my life. After the rupture I lived 2 weeks before they realized what happened to me. My doctor told my mom he wasn't sure I'd come off his table that night, and that he'd in 12 years never seen someone so very ill and still alive. He then told her I had a long recovery and I wasn't out of the woods yet. He said I'd be in the hospital at least 3 weeks. But I fooled them all. I had surgery at 5pm on 12-12-12 and by 3 am in the moring I was already standing beside the bed when the nurse came in. But my butt hurt from laying and my back was killing me. The nurse freaked and said Child what are you doing, get in bed. But Nope was my answer, I need to stand to start to regain all the strength I've lost since dealing with this in Oct. It took 7 weeks from the time I ate that popcorn till surgery. Five weeks of not being able to go and taking massive laxitivies trying. So I will never eat popcorn again and I will never take laxitives again. I choose to drink 4 to 5 oz of prune juice daily to help keep my stool from being so thick. My ostomy is with me forever now so I have to take care of her.

Hugs Tracie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders