Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Itching under adhesive barrier

I am bothered by itching under the adhesive barrier. It usually starts the day after I change the barrier and pouch, I make a change every 4 or 5 days. After I remove the old barrier, I shower and scrub the skin around the stoma, being careful to not scrub the stoma itself. Instead I gently wash it with Ivory soap. All is clean before I attach the new barrier, and it feels fine until a day or two, then this awful itching begins. I wonder if there is any product that could prevent that.

12 replies. Join the discussion

you might have yeast, get it checked by a doctor or your WC Nurse.

I don't use soap to clean my stoma area. Just use lukewarm water.

I thought I had a yeast problem so I talked to my chiropractor and he got me on some probiotics.

When I itch I have used lotramin (a athlete's foot powder) and also calamine lotion on top of my bandage. That seems to help the itching.

Dear Richichka,

After you wash the area around your stoma in the shower, let fresh clean water rinse the area for a minute or two to wash off any soap residue (even Ivory can be a problem.) Be sure you are not putting any lotion or perfume on the area around your stoma after your shower, or touch the area around your stoma if you have lotions or other products on your hands.

What type of skin barrier prep are you using on your skin before you apply your wafer? There are sprays, wipes and powders. I use a wipe from Torbot Group called SkinTac, you can view a short video on how to apply the wafer and pouch at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSaVvG-DXn4&feature=colike

Yeast infections usually present a red dots like little islands and are nothing to mess with, but if you don't have the itching constantly, it doesn't sound like yeast. I'm wondering if your skin is reacting to the wafer's adhesive? A good way to test this is the cut a piece of the adhesive off of one of your products and put in on another area of your body, like the under side of your arm and see if your skin there has a similar reaction to the skin around your stoma. If so, you may want to try another product either from your manufacturer or another. I have used Convatec for 26 years and am very happy with their products. You can speak with wonderful ostomy nurses and receive free samples of their products by calling 800.422.8811 or email to cic@convatec.com.

Be WELL and please keep us posted on your progress.

Randy
26 year colon cancer survivor and ostomate
Folsom, CA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ActiveOstomates/273287332764236

Randy. Thanks Randy for your reply. I don't think my itching problem is yeast but rather plain irritation from the wafer. I just did a dressing this morning that I do every 4 or 5 days. Under a hot shower makes it easier to pull off the old barrier but it does still take some pulling and hurts a bit. It feels good to scrub around the stoma, sort of like a relief from the itch. I do let the water run for a few minutes over the area then dry off, using a hair dryer. I wish I could put some lotion or healing ointment on the area but I know that is not advised. Today i tried sticking the wafer on in a diamond shape rather than a square. That leaves a bit more free area so the wafter is not covering so much of the incision, which has healed by now but still shows where the staples were. it has been 9 months now since my bladder was removed and the incision was from lower pelvis up to just under the belly button. In two weeks I see my Urologist who did the surgery for the 6 month post surgery CT scan. I can ask him about the yeast and such but I don't think he will answer as he doesn't know too much about that. I once asked him about the hernia I think I have under the stoma and he didn't seem much interested. I have the feeling he just doesn't deal with anything other than the surgery itself. Thankyou so much for the link to video showing how to apply the dressing. It's more or less what I already do but instructive all the same. I do not have a the colon ostomy, only the illiostomy
I use the convatec two piece set from Edgepark. I should probably start trying different companies to see if they might work better. You mention sprays and powers under the wafer. They might help the prep before re-applying. I do use a wipe that's soaked in what smells like alcahol.
Thanks for your valuable information.
Richka

Richichka,
One problem might be irritation to your skin when removing the old wafer if you are pulling on the skin and it hurts. Instead of pulling the wafer off, get your fingers under the wafer and gently push the skin away from the wafer.

Do NOT use a skin prep wipe that has alchohol. Ouch! Here is a technique to lay down a protective crust on irritated skin before applying the wafer.

Apply stomahesive powder and blow off excess
Wipe with a skin prep barrier and let it dry
Apply more stomahesive powder and wipe with skin prep barrier
Apply a third layer and finish with the wipe
Let dry and apply the wafer.
Don't change more frequently than 3 days.

Call the WOCNs at Convatec they are great. 800.422.4411

Be WELL and keep posting!
Randy

HI: LIKED ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS AS, I ALSO GET ITCHING IN THE AREA OF WHERE THE ADHESIVE ATTACHES TO MY SKIN. WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING IS TRIMMING THE ADHESIVE FROM THE WAFER. I THEN USE THESE STRIPS, THAT LOOK LIKE BOOMERRANGS AND PUT THEM LIKE A PICTURE FRAME AROUND THE PART OF THE WAFER THAT GOES OVER THE ACTUAL STOMA.IT HOLDS EVERYTHING IN PLACE AND I DO NOT HAVE ANY LEAKAGE. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR THE LAST COUPLE CHANGES AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING. ALSO I USE A COTTON BALL TO DUST A GOOD PART OF THE AREA WHERE I HAVE HAD AN ITCHING PROBLEM, WITH SOME STOMA POWDER.
GUESS ALL OF DEALING WITH PROBLEM, IS TRIAL AND EROR..

I get a product called skin prep and this has elimated the problem for me as I am very light skined red head so anything and everything irritates me. but Skin Prep did help

Good info - thanks everyone. I get itching every now and then but it's usually on my 3rd or 4th day when I am ready to change my pouch. I believe it is stool that gets around the stoma irritating that area.

I too get this problem all the time, despite being checked for a yeast infection. I recently tried this skin prep by a company called Safe and Simple (I think that is the name of it), and it has decreased the itching. My primary doctor told me that the itching is probably caused by having adhesive on my skin 24/7 continously, when you skin is not used to it.

Jessie

I always wipe the Area with witch hazel when I change. Keeps everything pretty good

I also get this itching but it does not happen everytime. Not sure why. I use a natural product called Gentian violet which is really great as I find the barrier wipe too harsh on my skin. It's an old remedy for scratches and abrasions.

Gentian violet is a water soluble dye (coloring substance) used primarily in medicine to stain bacteria, but also in other histological procedures. It is not derived from gentians, but got its name since it is pink-violet like some gentians in the genera of Centaurium, Gentiana, and Gentianella. Gentian violet is derived from coal tar. Another common name for gentian violet is crystal violet, and it is also called Andergon, Aniline Violet, Axuris, Badil, Basic Violet 3, Brilliant Violet 5B, C.I. 42555, Gentiaverm, Hexamethyl-p-Rosaniline Chloride, Hexamethylpararosaniline Chloride, Meroxylan, Meroxyl, Methylrosaniline Chloride, Methyl Violet 10BNS, Methylvioletti, Mythyrosailine Chloride, Pyoctaninum Caeruleum, Pyoktanin, Vianin, Viocid, and Viola Crystallina.

Gentian violet has been used in forensics to develop fingerprints (link, link2).

Bacteria are often divided up in two categories: "Gram-positive" or "Gram-negative". Gentian violet stains Gram-positive bacteria blue-violet. The Danish biologist Hans Christian Joachim Gram discovered this in 1884, and the technique is still used today.

Gentian violet is also a good topical treatment for yeast infections or thrush caused by the fungi Candida albicans, but it stains skin purple. Its antifungal properties as been known for a long time and it is still being used as an over-the-counter treatment in Europe and North America. Gentian violet is not completely harmless and is considered carcinogenic after tests with feeding mice with large doses of this chemical.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders