Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

help in the shower

i am trying to find the man who came up with the bag covering for in the shower Iwas going to goto the site and wrote it down and i lost it. also there are underpants that hold the bag so it doesnt flop around, where do i get those

26 replies. Join the discussion

Hi
I got panties through Edgepark (I'm sure other companies will also have them). They are made by Phoenix and one is a split crotch and they also have just a panty. They have a "pocket" that the tail of the pouch will go in. Have not found a "pouch covering"
Hope this helps, I would like to know about the pouch covering.

I make my own pouch covers.. all kinds.. holiday ones.. lacy ones.. flowery... all sorts of possiblities.

I tried a pair of the panties from edgepark... but... did not like them at all.. They are rather expensive. I'm glad I only had to pay my co-pay and not the whole amount. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried them and liked them. I found them bulky and my pouch did not fit into it very well. The directions read to put the pouch on sideways.. where the pouch did not lay down the leg... I wouldn't even try it.. cause I know with my high volumn output.. it would leak very quickly ..

Rather than spending money on specialty underpants, I use the cheapest pantyhose I can find and cut the legs off about 2 inches below the reinforced panty line. They dont run, they kinda roll a little at the leg but it's not uncomfortable. I wear a cotton bikini brief with the pantyhose on top. It supports everything nicely with lots of give.

I use spanx--even during my aerobics and that seems to work great!

I also use panty hose and cut the legs off. hey the woman who invented spanx used to do that. I use the control top ones and the compression works for me. But I have an ilieostomy with more liquid output. Colostomy patients may not be able to cpmpress the stoma area as easily because of the thicker output. But using the opanty hose is a less expensive (and thinner then a real girdle) option!

For the shower, try wrapping saran wrap around you. That is what they did in the hospital for me.

I don't wrap or anything in the shower. The days I shower with it on (change days I shower with nothing :) ) I dry it well with the towel, put a clean dry washrag under while I do my thing, get almost dressed, and by the time I'm done with everything it's dry. Never thought of covering it. Didn't see the need. Am I missing something?

The product you are looking for is the shower protector from Sto-med. Around 38.00 but worth it.

I ordered underpanties from Ostomy Secrets as they were recommended by the ostomy nurse I saw in the hospital. They are very expensive. I wore one pair once and my appliance leaked right away. I did not know at the time that you had to put the pouch on sideways to fit into the pocket. As I have an ileostomy and used a one piece appliance I could not put it on sideways. Also having a pouch on sideways makes it almost impossible to empty into the toilet. Needless to say I was very disappointed with the products.
I ordered "trendy tops" on line and they are great. They are VERY inexpensive and are like tube tops except designed for your waist.
They are advertised as preventing "muffin tops" or "g-string hiders" for when people wear low cut jeans. They are snug but not too tight. They come in 3 different colours, and I think I paid about $19 for 3 of them.
I don't worry about covering my appliance while I am in the shower. They are designed to get wet and still stay on. I towel dry the pouch and then use a blow dryer on low setting to dry the flange and pouch. Then...I'm good to go. I get about 4 days wear before I need to change the appliance.

Lilymylley, I'm wondering if you aren't referring to the stealth belt that requires you to have your pouch on sideways or horizontal to slip into the belt. I saw the OstoMySecrets wraps, etc. and the pockets were straight down.

If you really need something to hold the pouch up close to you and form fitting underwear, pantyhose or spanx doesn't do it, then I'd suggest OstoMySecrets. Or if you're just wanting something sexy.

And can you explain why you want something to cover the pouch in the shower? I never have a problem showering with it on without a cover. I also never have a problem showering with it off. I just have the new pouch and hair dryer ready to go when I get out.

I also don't have any problem going swimming and I don't use tape. The outer pouch adhesive has never failed. Water does not degrade it.

Lily.. I totally agree with you on the underware.. and it does tell you to put the pouch on horizontal with our hips/waist. Don't like it at all.. Didn't even try to put my pouch facing sideways.. like you said.. How the heck could we empty it easily?.. NOT.

Sue, what type of appliance do you use? I use a one piece hollister.... which I shower with it on.. that's not a problem.. Just dry very well afterwards.. As for swimming.. I spend several hours in the pool at a time..and it does loosen the adhesive on the pouch from soaking in the water for extended time.. I find it very much worth it though!!! Live Life to the Fullest!! I think next year though, I'm going to order the latex wrap to cover my pouch so I don't have to change it so often.

I wear a surgical wrap that gives support to the large abdominal hernia I have from severed muscles during my life-saving surgery that left me with an ileostomy. It goes right over the appliance, and does not keep it from emptying into the pouch. I do not wear it to sleep, but the Depends for Women (the new cloth-like stretchy ones) that I wear to bed every night, snug the appliance next to my body, and fully contain any mess if I should have the rare leak at night. They are about $12 for 10 of them, but I can get 5 nights use out of one if I don't have an accident - maybe more, but the legs do get stretched out after several uses and I feel they might not hold any leakage. From what I have read, I think that maybe the surgical wrap would not work well with a colostomy as it might restrict any output. Hugs from Marge

I jsut mentioned the "trendy tops: yesterday as a great idea. Another companty is MyhipT.com is a bit more pricey but also a bit tighter. Not as wide as trendy tops. They come in all colors, some with lace and can be used for "intimacy" which is where i psoted the idea. BUT as a day to day item I l love them. many of my non ostomy friends love them too. They fill in the area between tank top (or tee) and pants. The trendy tops are in many walgreens, and target too now. I think even walmart. (near the Aha bra) In the drig stores they are usually with the 'AS seen on TV" Men, pay attention. thhese may work for youtoo, under tee shirts for stability!

Marge ...where do you get the surgical wraps ..do you think that would work in our hot tub!

Hi Lin - I got my surgical wrap from my local medical supply store. They will surely work in your hot tub - but will get wet and not keep anything dry. Instructions say to wash it in cool water with mild soap - not wring or twist, and dry out of the sun - I would wrap it in a towel to remove excess moisture. I have a large abdominal hernia and it makes life comfortable for me all day. Marge

PattyGail,

I have a colostomy and never shower with my pouch on! In fact, I look forward to removing it and taking a long, hot shower! I place a clean, fresh pouch on the wafer before I start to towel myself dry! I never took a tub bath or a shower with underwear, so why with my pouch?? If "baby" decides to act up, then the bleach jug comes out and tadah, clean sanitized shower awaits next family member! In fact, both my oncologists (yeah, two - one chemo and one radiology), my surgeon, my PCP AND home visiting nurse all said the same thing: remove pouch when showering! It's cleansing a part of your body that wouldn't get cleansed while wearing the pouch! I didn't have Team Inspire (this wonderful site) and learned alot by reading articles on the internet. Best advise was given to me by my radiation oncologist; use common sense and do everything normally. The only thing that's changed about you is where the output comes from! During med school, his roommate had an ostomy and didn't let it stop him from living his life in any shape, way or form!

Su-Z

Su-Z

hi pattygail: If you want to cover the bag etc: I have a colostomy and I have used a regular baggie (food baggie)
maybe called storage baggie, I put the pouch and wafer in the bag and wrap tape around it. I spend a long time
in the shower and it holds up good: when I take the bag off everything is dry but I still use the hair dryer
and gently blow warm air over it, I am now wearing mine up to the 7th day so it does work.I copied the address
of one of the sites you might be looking for:http://sto-med.com showerguard.htm (2 sites)
http://www.drycorp.com/content/how-it-works-ostomy-stoma-protector/index.ht ml
this was from Joey61. I hope this helps: oh by the way I used waterproof tape and I also used the paper
tape used for bandages and they both worked great. Good Luck
Mary Lou

Hi pattygail,

I believe the web site you are looking for is here:

http://sto-med.com/showergard.htm

I made my own 'shower guard' with a shower curtain
and some stuff around my home. It works great!

I even put 'Sponge Bob' plastic stick ons on it, came
out 'cool' looking and functional. LOL! :^D

God Bless,
Joe-R

Mare, how do you make them? How do you do your patterns?

how do you do that ive tried all kinds of things i have no insurance and cant keep changing my bag all the time so if you can help me i would appreciate it

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders