Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

getting back on my feet...

Hospital stay day 11 almost done...

It has been a tough road for the last week and a half. Started out going along really well (now I even remember I came on to the groups and said hello) and then Jerry (my ostomy) went into high output mode. Next thing i know...nothing. Silence. Jerry was completely quiet.

I have an ileus.

Tonight, for the first time in 4 days Jerry said "helloooooooo" . I am so happy.

I hope that this means discharge from the hospital by next Monday. They want to make sure he will not go into high output mode again.

I have been out of it for a bit. I will look forward to scanning the discussions out there. (that bubble wrap discussion is sure to be interesting!)

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

~Julie

8 replies. Join the discussion

Julie, Sending prayer's your way. Glad to hear your doing better.

Julie, so good to hear from you. I'm so glad you are doing better. And you may be going home Monday? That's wonderful. I'm glad Jerry is behaving and I hope that continues.
Blessings,
Alan

Great to hear from you again, Julie -

Sorry you had so much trouble with Jerry. I have been so fortunate not to have any real trouble with "Buddy", outside of barrier sores, which are now cleared up. Hope all goes well with you from now on and you can go home and get on with your life - keep us posted on your progress.

Love and hugs from Marge

Hello Julie, Very glad to hear your Jerry is acting more normal and pray he stays that way. I take care of my husbands"Izzy" since June 2011. I know his ways better than my husband does and have learned to plan and react accordingly. If i ever have an ostomy of my own there won't be much of a learning curve, LOL. Prayers from,
Carey

God bless you for your loving care, Carey - my husband is very supportive and sympathetic to my needs and problems, but would not have the slightest idea of how to deal with my ileostomy - he often compliments me on how I am handling it, and never complains about the restrictions it puts on my general living with an ileostomy - also tells me how he would change places with me if he could! Someone up there sent Herb to me almost 10 years ago when I was 70.

Love and hugs from Marge

Thanks Marge for your kind and thoughtful words. Im so glad you and Herb found each other. What a joy and comfort you are to each other. From all you've said about Herb, if you hadnt been able to care for Buddy, it sounds to me like he would have stepped up. Despite my husbands disabilities, i know in his heart there isnt anything he wouldnt do for me if he could, even give his life, if it came that. Thats why he's my hero and champion. Of course im the same to him. So, we've come to the end of another warm, rainy, blessed day in Oregon. Everyone have a great night. I am praying for all of you who may be affected by Hurricane Sandy. The media has a tendency to hype these things to up their ratings. Hopefully, this is one of those times. Prayers from,
Carey

Hi Carey - I don't think the media is hyping up this storm - we have friends and relatives all up and down the northern East Coast that will probably be affected in some way - we felt the winds and heavy rain bands here in south Florida, but it has passed us now and today (Sunday) is beautiful, with temperatures in the high 70s and lo 80s - just why people come here to enjoy our winter - some even come from Europe! Hope you are having a good day - Herb will be playing golf and I will join him at the club bar when he is through. I play in a tournament with him, our son Tom, and a lovely 90-year old lady who is in better shape than me, even though I am 10 years younger than she is! We do this every Wednesday afternoon around 4 and then have a nice dinner afterwards.

Love and hugs from Marge

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Praying for our friends on the east coast as hurricane Sandy approaches.

Be well, Julie (and Jerry)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders