Save 15% on Ostomysecrets

Edgepark

Can I vent? I just had the most irritating exchange with Edgepark. I wanted to do two things:1. Order a Nu-hope Hernia Belt and 2. Change my Hollister bag to a pre-cut bag. At my Doctor's visit I asked for a perscription and he hand wrote one for both items. When I called Edgepark first they said I had to pre-pay for the belt and it was something like $120 then they will submit it to Medicare. That belt cost $ 71 including shipping from Parthenon. So I told them to forget it. Then the girl took the order to change the bag but wasn't sure if the perscription which I had scanned and could e-mail it to her. She apparently input the change and then passed me to their Rx dept who would tell me whether the perscription was acceptable. This Department was no help at all, had no idea why I had been transferred to them and wanted to send something to the Doctor's office. Eventually she sent me back to customer service who verified that the change had been made. After my year is up, is there a way to change to another vendor and does anyone have one that they like?

Can you make personal claims to Medicare for items that you have paid for out of your pocket?

32 replies. Join the discussion

I am dealing with Edgepark and my WOCN just sent in the measurements for my hernia belt. I haven't gotten a call from anyone sayind I had to prepay for it. However, I do not use Medicare so maybe there is some insurance red tape involved. I have a direct representative that I can call if need be, and she has been most helpful. I will say that the initial prescription was irritating where they would get it and then have to verify it from the Doctor's office. That is the only issue I have had with them. Now that they have a place in Durham , NC I get my stuff in 1-2 days max.

I have Medicare and use Byram. I didn't have to prepay for the Nu-hope belt. However, it was taking forever, so when I called to ask where it was, they said they hadn't received the dr's order Called the dr's office,and the order was filed in my chart, so it had been faxed. They refaxed it and finally, after a month, I got the belt.

Always some glitches in the system, but with patience & assertiveness, it gets handled.

with peace, rayna

dump edge park, I had dispute with them, next order they slit two pouches, I didnt catch the first until after the fact, I had a mess on my hands. I went thru order and found the second one. A real nice slit with a knife.

Go to your home medical company, I estimate that I have used 4,866 pouches and never, never had it happen with any other company.

I guess that I've been lucky. I deal with Edgepark, and apart from an occasional (very rare) mixup and shipment of the wrong size wafer or pouch, they've been easy to deal with. Of course, I have private insurance, and that may make a difference. I didn't have to prepay for my NuHope hernia support belt. If go over the "allowed" number of wafers and pouches, which happens fairly regularly, they call my plastic surgeon for a prior medical clearance, and that's the end of it for me. My copay is rarely over $25. The best bet with Edgepark is to always place your order with the same customer service representative, once you find one who is pleasant and easy to deal with. Just ask for his/her extension. You may well have to leave a number and wait for her/him to call you back, but that is generally on the same day. I also have a list of all the supplies that I order with their order numbers to make the transaction go more smoothly. Love and Light, Candace

I am not on Medicare, but I use Byram and have not had any troubles with them.

I don't understand your mentioning "after my year is up..." There is no contract with any distributor. Change whenever you like. I use Liberty and am completely satisfied. They call me every three months and ask if I'm ready to order.
Blessings,
Alan

I, too, got screwed by Edgepark. I wanted to exchange some barriers from ones you cut yourself to pre-cut ones. They shipped them, but then billed me $138 because they said Medicare did not pay for them! What a crock! I switched to Comfort Medical and had no problems, but just found out that my local medical supply store - about a mile away - is Medicare-approved and can get me my Convatec supplies the next day - no shipping involved. I am sure that Edgepark - who claims they ship free - hides a shipping charge somewhere in the price they charge Medicare and the patient.

Love and hugs from Marge

I have also had issues with Edgepark. Long story but got rid of them. I am now with Byram and am happy with them so far.

With Medicare, the choice of suppliers is YOURS. Pick anyone your want. There is no mandatory use period.

True, but if things are working on auto-pilot I'd just as soon let things run until I have to "re-up." Another incident might make me change earlier.

I have used Edgepark for 2 years and have never had an issue. I tried another brand at my WCON's recomendation and they didn't work so I switched back to hollister. No questions asked. I get whatever I order. I do have insurance, however. When I'm not satisfied with any supplier, I ask for their supervisor and if necessary their supervisor. Don't put up with any shit!! Excuse the pun.
Regards,
Ellie

Try Sterling Medical Supplies.

I had a horrenous experience with Edgepark. Long story, short:
My insurance does not work with Edgepark. On advice of visiting
nurse returned order. Spent weeks fighting with them to quit sending
bills. It got to the point they would put me on hold, but never answer.
When I called BBB she told me some companies do that--they have
caller ID.
Finally got it resolved.
Incidentally the cost was over $200 but when I ordered from Sterling it
was less than $200.

I'm sorry to hear the issues with Edgepark. i was thinking of switching to Edgepark as I've been frustrated with Byrum because:
1. after my first order they sent the same order without consulting me and i had to return the hollister - had swithched to coloplast
2. i had to call to make sure the return had been received my account credited
3. Once they had NONE of the coloplast pouches i needed on the west coast - i came close to running out
4. my Nu Hope strips are always late - this time i did run out.
5. I almost forgot - byrum didn't even alert me i needed a new prescription at my one year anniversary date until i called to place my order!!!!! you'd think in this day there would be an automated system to contact to the customer with such an important issue!!!
thanks for the chance to vent. I'm going to contact Byrum with my complaints. it's only fair - otherwise how can there be improvement
thanks to the previous posts i now know of other companies that are available.

This is the place my friend uses, and she's been happy with the prices:

> http://www.medicalmega.com/?ovchn=GGL&ovcrn=mega%2520medical&ovtac=PPC&ovcp n=Broad&gclid=CP2uotS9h7kCFcmf4AodAnQAAQ

My recent frustration with the pouches supply was trying to get Edgepark to ship the order I have coming in December early by two weeks due to an overseas trip. They claim this is impossible and blaim my insurance company! Their only suggestion was to have a friend accept my parcel and then mail the pouches on to me OR I can buy extras at $95 for 5. Have these people every traveled overseas!!! I always have over $100 copay so those of you who tell me your copay is $25 or $50 are lucky. All of this additional stress is so unnecessary!!!

I have been offering from Sterling for many years and have never had an issue. I have private insurance.

I have had no problems with Edgepark. In fact, they supplied free samples upon request and helped me find the appliances that are best for me. After settling on the supplies I wanted, I am now notified via e-mail each month that I need to approve the next shipment, which is quite easily done without speaking to anybody. I don't have Medicare (yet) and my private insurance makes me use Edgepark. By using them, my co-pays were small ($10 - $25) until I reached my max out of pocket - so I have no copay through the remainder of the year. Hopefully I will continue to have good luck with Edgepark since that is the company my insurnce fullels me through. Does anybody else just order via the internet and bypass the representatives?

I use Edgepark as well, only had one shipment. U use to use a locle supplier but I got new health insurance and not I do not have any out=of=pocket costat all with Edgepark. I found them much better than Liberty and liberator.

I have had some issues with Edgepark, too and I've been dealing with them only a few months. They send me the wrong barrier rings and shortchanged me by sending the right ones, plus a few other things, that aggravated me. I talked today to a representative to change my order, since I'm still in the process of trying to find the right stuff. If i have more problems with that company, I'll change to another. Heidi

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders