Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

convex wafers

I posted under leaks about leaks that go under my adapt variety ring and flat wafer. I have used Hollister flat wafers and variety rings since my surgery back in April. some people said i should switch to a convex wafer and barrier ring. Does anyone use Hollister convex wafers, many people swear by coloplast, what are your opinions.

Edited November 20, 2013 at 7:50 pm

22 replies. Join the discussion

I use the Hollister convex wafer, and because I need the extra convexity, also use a convex barrier ring in addition to the Adapt ring that I would never leave home without. I haven't tried Coloplast, so can't say anything about them. Since I don't have any problems with Hollister, it is my brand because both my local hospital and WOCN clinic, as well as Mt. Sinai, uses Hollister, so it's just easier to go with the same brand they use.
Love and Light, Candace

i use 1 piece coloplast convex bags without a barrier ring. i need the extra flexability in the flange due to stoma location. hollister is a great company, but their flange is firmer.
i also like the extra wide outlet coloplast has. the velcro on hollister was good, but it was harder to eliminate waste with the outlet being smaller.

we should be on commercials with all the detail we can give.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I have the convatec clear bag with a clip at the bottom and wafer attached. I'm going back to work soon and need to find something more work friendly. My stoma is on my left side higher than my belly button. What is best for gas release?

I use a Hollister Convex wafer. I use Convatec's Stomahesive rather than a barrier ring. I have had SUCCESS with it. I was using flat wafers and had NO end of problems. Since I went to the convex wafer with a belt all has been well.

susan

I use the Hollister convex wafer (15903) along with Hollister Adapt Convex Barrier Rings (79520) on my colostomy.
The barrier rings also have a convex shape which seems to add to the convexity..
Since using this arrangement, I have had very few leaks or blowouts.
When I was using the flat wafers, I had frequent leaks and blowouts.
I am staying with the two-piece application for the colostomy because it can be burped when the filter quits working.
I am in the process of switching to the one-piece Hollister Convex Urostomy Pouch (8484) because I feel the one-piece arrangement will be easier to sleep on and I have no need to burp the urostomy. Unfortunately, my supplier had been behind schedule in getting the Hollister urostomy pouches to me. Hopefully they will arrive today.
The only one-piece convex urostomy pouch offered by Convatec has an arrangement I don't trust (fold-over tap) for hooking up to the night bag.

I think you meant convex waFers, not waTers...I was introduced to ConvaTec's convex wafer for my 2 piece drainable early on after my permanent ileostomy surgery 11/17/06...and continue to use it for Gutsy 7 years later...I was also instructed by one of my 2 ET nurses, one of which was an ileostomate herself, to take the Eakin Seal...or anything comparable...and fan it out on top of the wafer with my thumbs instead of just placing the ring on there...somehow, this works well...
Hope this was helpful...
Linda and Gutsy 8{} 11/20/13

i use the marlen one piece ultramax, shallow convexity. they have a deep convexity one, too, though i haven't tried it. the material of the wafer is much more flexible and soft than anything else i've tried, which makes it move with me better.

I use one piece drainable bags with a convex wafer made by Marlen. I am having good luck with them.

Clara

Another Marlen user here. I tried them all when I first had surgery. I needed convexity and flexibility. I found Marlen and Nu-hope to be the most flexible and I had the most success with them. I've been using the Marlen bag for nearly a year now and I've only had 2-3 leaking instances.

Seven years ago I started with Hollister. It was what the hospital used. I had a boat load of problems. I wouldn't even feel safe leaving the house. My home care nurse suggested trying Convetec. I have been with their products ever since. As far as the gas issue, I use closed end pouches with a filter. Gas is automatically released. No odor at all. I have a colostomy so this works very well for me. If you have an ileostomy with a pretty liquid output a filter might clog up. My pouch does clog up at times and will not vent gas. I just put a fresh pouch on. What I love about the closed end pouch is there is no draining. When it is time to change you just put on a new pouch.

Lynn

I have tried a few different kind and have ended up with coloplast and love them, no more leaks
I get them from Edgepark

Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I am not sure about a convex wafer, because my stoma sticks out, the only time it goes in, is when I am lying down. I have tried so many samples, and like Hollister the best. I have not tried Marlen products yet, will have to request samples.

i have the top half my stoma raised about 3/4 of an inch and the bottom half is flush or lower than skin level. I also have a hernia just above my stoma and my stoma prolapsed. All these things together has caused lots of leaking problem. Convex makes the stoma come out too far and flat lets the stoma retract. I was told that convex is not recommended with a hernia. I spoke with an advisor rep from Coloplast who has sent me something new to try. I have been using Coloplast two piece click Sensura system and love it but the plastic ring won't give enough to keep hernia from pushing the ring off. I received my samples today and am anxious to try them. It is a Sensura two piece flex system but the wafer is different. I haven't seen these in a catalog. I will report as soon as I try them. I pray this will be my new system. I do love the wide bottom on the Coloplast bags.

Carol

Thank you everyone! Sounds like there are several to try. First try will be the Convatec with closed end and filter. Thanks again!

BelleRinger.....I really hope you are as happy as I am with this product.

LYNN

Good Luck Carol, I hope the new samples work for you.

Hi Chelle43,
Hollister 2 piece with adapt ring should work. If your stoma retract when lay down, then you should consider hollister convexity. Measure your stoma then order convex barriers that fit your stoma. You can also use convex barrier with flat adapt ring and a belt to push out the stoma and prevent it from retracing when you lay down. If that still doesn't work then use the convex adapt ring along with convex barrier. Also dont for get the BRAT diet to thicken the ileostomy output.

What is the BRAT diet? I have a home health car nurse for my wound vac and he is going to order me several samples. He is on the same page as you are "OPADON" so I'll try them out. Thank you all.

Just a thought here but Hollister also makes adapt rings with convexity to them. Rather than being flat they have a bowl shape
to them just like the wafers do.

Hugs
Tracie

Belle ringer"...."..".....How are you feeling with the wound vac? I just started one 2 weeks a go and they had to remove it Monday for a week to give my skin a break and let it heal. They say if I don't put it back on my wound will take 4 months to heal but honestly it is so painful with it on I'm kinda scared about the the dressing changes.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders