Save 15% on Ostomysecrets

Can't sleep, no appetite

I had surgery for diverticulitus 4 weeks ago. Until Saturday, i was feeling better and better each day. Then i got dehrydrated and felt awful for days. Yesterday (Tues) started feeling a little better, but i can't sleep. Haven't slept much in a few days. I force myself to eat a little, don't want anything because i get so full from having to drink so much. I urinate so much and have loose stools, so i lose more than i drink. Anyone else have these issues? Any advice. I am depressed. I felt so good last week, now blah! Thanks!

61 replies. Join the discussion

I sleep like a log - go to bed at 10, which we have done every night since we got together over 9 years ago, and only wake up around 3 or 4 a.m. to empty "Buddy" and go back to sleep until 6 or 7. I attribute part of that to my Depend-ables which keep me from worrying about a leak at night. I also have severe sleep apnea and sleep every night with a CPAP machine - look like some alien out of space. Reading these posts about guys being unable to accept an ostomy I am reminding of my dating experiences when I was single at 62. I had previously only had one man in my life, and I must admit I sowed a few of the wild oats I didn't get a chance to do when I was young - being the good Catholic girl that I was! When it came time to put out the lights and go to sleep I had to put on this wierd-looking mask - and it never scared anyone away! I would say I sleep like a baby - but my husband says that amounts to waking up every 2 hours! LOL Hugs from Marge

Why are you afraid to be alone, Holly? Is something about your health scaring you?
Blessings,
Alan

I don't know why Alan. Right now my bad days out number my good ones. I feel really bad today. I think I'm afraid that if something happens and I'm alone I won't be able to get help. I'm sure it s nerves, but can't shake it.

Hello sammy - I am sorry you and Holly are so down in the dumps today. I, too, have some days that are not so good, but I don't get depressed - I just feel lethargic and seem to have no energy to do anything but sit in front of the boob tube or read. I always manage to make dinner for my husband and me, but a lot of the time it consists of 2 different meals. I can't keep him on my restricted diet of no roughage for the ileostomy, and nothing that will make my blood sugar spike from Type II Diabetes. Doesn't leave much, does it? Please keep telling yourself that tomorrow will be better - keep a positive attitude and a sense of humor. As you can see in some of the posts here us ostomates seem to rely on faith in the Lord, or a laugh or two to keep going.

Hugs for a better day - Marge

Holly, Honey you will make it we are going to pray and pray for you love. It is alright to feel this way with the mountain of problems that hit you all at once. Girlfriend hold on as tight as you can to Christ.
I love you
God bless you
Dolly

Marge, It sounds like you have made peace with your CPAP. My husband also has sleep apnea and has a VPAP which he rarely uses because of air leaks that get so loud we cant sleep. He has tried every kind of mask and winds up with the same problem. If it isnt one kind of leak, its another.LOL He has to sleep practically sitting up all night in order to breathe. Oh this life.....what a kick in the head. Enjoy a leak-free night,
Carey

Happy.... I love your wisdom.. and upbeat nature! Never really tried whiskey... maybe it's time I do!! lol.. Can I add TEA to that??

Glad to see you are feeling a bit better Sammy! Prayer that will continue for you!

Good Morning Carey - yes, I have made peace with my CPAP - I have used it every night since 1995. It has been to Italy, British Comumbia, Austria, and wherever I have traveled in the United States. It is almost like a sleeping pill to me, and I probably wouldn't be able to sleep without it. It has even been with me during my 5 surgeries in the last 3 years, and 6 weeks in rehab with my broken leg. I panic whenever the power goes out in the house, praying that it will be restored before I go to sleep. Maybe I will use it on Halloween this year - should be able to scare the hell out of the trick or treaters! LOL Hugs from Marge

Hi Sammy
I have an iliostomy and we all have gone through your issues. Is your lack of appetite due to the amount of liquid you are consuming? Maybe you should reduce your liquid intake and see if your appetite comes back. As for your lack of sleep - I have sleeping pills but try not to use them first. I use Melatonin (a herb) that relaxes you. I get the 10mg caps and take 1 up to 3 a night. If I get up during the night I will take 1 caps and go into a normal sleep. I have also used Benedryl.
I have very loose stool. I have tried to eat foods that are suppose to firm up the stool but did not have much success. I also take an OTC anti diarr. cap. My stool will firm up during the day but then it goes back to being loose again.
Hope this helps just a little. Anxious to hear how you are feeling.

Mary, Tea in Whiskey! That would be a shocking waste of whiskey! Only time I ever add anything other than water is if I have a really bad cold when a good measure of whiskey in a mug of hot lemon and honey does the trick. By the way, there are so many types of whiskey. Increasingly the Scots make theirs quite smokey which I don't care for. I prefer Irish, Canadian or good old Jim Beam or Maker's Mark.

Happy - being diabetic I am restricted to clear booze - I imbibe either gin or vodka - only thing added is a few ice cubes! Once in a while I will have a screwdriver if my sugar is very low. Husband is a bourbon drinker, and he loves Makers Mark. Coincidentally his favorite is Evan Williams - and our last name is Williams! We have a drink or two before dinner, but don't drink after that. These bloody old ostomies can't take everything away from us! LOL

Hugs from Marge

HI Kristin,

Yes, i think the lack of appetite is in part from so many fluids, but i am afraid to get dehydrated again. I will need to work on finding that happy medium. Meanwhile, i try to drink one or two ensures each day to help get my strength. I tried benadryl and unisom with not much luck for sleeping. The problem there is peeing so often in the night in addtion to not getting comfortable. The melatonin may be worth a try. I have a follow up Dr. appt tomorrow and am hoping to be released for part time work. I will be 5 weeks post op on Wed. I wonder how long my open inicision will take to heal. It looks real good now, but still a long way to go. Take care!

And thanks to all for making me feel not so alone! I have to admit i knew nothing about any of this before last month!

sammy - I had an eight-inch long open incision and I can't really remember how long it took to completely heal. It is now all healed - I am 9 months into this ileostomy journey - and is just a very ugly scar, an inch or so wide in some spots. I wouldn't push going back to work unless you have a desk job. My surgeon finally sent me to a wound care facility (as an outpatient) to clear up the last of the open spots and they did wonders, clearing everything up in a couple of weeks. Then I could get out to play golf again!

Hugs from Marge

Sammy... 5 weeks post op is a little soon to be going back to work.. especially if you are struggling with hydration. You might want to rethink this. Also with you incision not healed totally.

It is understandable and normal.. after this type of surgery to feel a bit depressed... after any surgery that makes us feel we can't do anything like we could before, is enough to make us feel down. Don't give up.. the healing will progress each day.. and you will gain strength.
Please speak to your doctor about using lomotil or imodium or another med to slow down your output a bit. It is still soon and there could still be swelling in your intestine. Try eating small amounts of food that might thicken your output. Once you gain some strength, you will feel more like eating.

Happy... Seeing how I am Scottish.. Maybe I SHOULD try some of my own MACPHERSON'S CLUNY SCOTCH WHISKY.. lol..

Mary, now I'm jealous - your own family whiskey - yes try it please. Incidentally we were on holiday in France earlier this year and kept seeing French Whiskey - by chance we passed the distillery, went in and they gave us the complete tour - my wife agreed to drive and I did some tasting. Now just whisper this - it's really very good!

lol.. Happy... Good for you!! Well.. It's not "my" family. .just the same name.. I wish it were and I could receive dividends from it.. lol..
There is also a wine with out name.. only they spell with an Mc instead of Mac.. It's my maiden name.. I hope one day to take my son to Scotland. My nephew had our family crest tatoo put on his upper right chest. It's pretty cool!!

Gotta love those tours! We have a lot of wineries and micro brews in VT and just across the border in Canada, wineries as well.. and cheese.. It makes for a nice Saturday or Sunday fall drive... Taste some wine.. eat a little cheese.. buy some apples.. Fall is a beautiful time of year to take these little jaunts.

Maybe I'll buy one of those little Nips.. just to try a few.. I had a house mate once who used to make the whiskey/lemon/honey during the winter when colds hit.. It was might tasty..and productive!

Mare, in Vermont how long does fall last? A week? It is four seasons, right? June, July, August, and winter. lolol
Blessings,
Alan

Here in south Florida we have 2 seasons - December and January and summer!

i hope you are feeling better by now, sammy. let us know how you are doing when you can. and thanks for the great advice on hydration, happy s! i have been experiencing that lately so i'll try your recipe. i second the advice others have given about benedryl... although it can contribute to dehydration, too. melatonin also helps with the sleep issue but you have to be in bed, all settled before taking it because it is subtle... it works but if you are up and about you won't feel the effect.

lol... You are too funny Alan... yet.. accurate!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders