Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Blockages????

I would like some ideas on how to move along a food blockage. I had one last week and was in enough pain that I couldn't sleep. I gently massaged the abdomen and made some hot tea. it was a weekend night, so I needed to handle it myself. Once I went to a "wound care" nurse and she "rooter rooted" my stoma. I came out of there 5 lbs lighter. That was an ordeal and I'll have to be in tremendous pain to go again. Anyway, any tips would be helpful. I'm aware of many of the foods that affect me, but sometimes I get careless.

65 replies. Join the discussion

I can say there is something about the Multi Grain Pringles that stops me up like a plug... ha.. I found out the hard way on that one...

Summer is an excellent time to take advantage of fresh fruits and vegtable, all of which contain fiber that help maintain good colon health. I also like to start out each day with yogurt to help with digestive health. You might also consider taking a probiotic in pill form if you don't care for yogurt. Try to avoid processed foods and stick with foods in their natural state. It works for me. Don't forget to drink plenty of water - take your weight and divide it in half. That is the number of ounces of water you should be drinking every day. Finally, exercise always seems to get things moving. :)

I have blockages so bad that I have to go to the emergency ward. I have to get a nasal gastric tube inserted and and IV. I usually stay in the hospital about 2 to 3 days. this is keeping me broke. The doctors say that I have adherens. I have had these episodes since 1995 after my last surgery. I have been admited to the hospital so many times that i cannot count them(100)

Ladybird 148

This is a trial and error thing. First off, BE SURE TO CHEW YOUR FOOD COMPLETELY, and drink plenty of liquid. Don't pig out on something you really like without adding other food with it. There are foods that do not digest and break down in your stomach. These foods can give you the most problems. Chewing your food completely and not eating too much of any one thing is best. I love to eat mushrooms with a steak. Let me tell you, chew those suckers and get all the flavor out of them because if you don't, you Will have blockage.
When I have a blockage, I press around the stoma to work the object(objects) out. When it is really bad, I remove the wafer so I can massage the area better. I have used a rubber syring(sp) and put water into the stoma(be careful), to try to flush out the items that are causing the problem.

Try drinking regular coffee this will generally get the intestine moving and you will get peristalsys or movement in bowel this should do it in about 30 minutes.

Steve

I really feel bad saying this but I'm really glad to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this problem. I take stool softners and try to drink lots of liquids. Constipation is much worse than diarrhea.

Well I will start asking what do you have. An Ileostomy or Colostomy. The illie is supposed to be a looser bowel. I know what you mean by pain. I ate half a bag of pork rinds once without enough water or anything to drink with them and plugged right up. I laid on the couch for 2 days and drank tea and water and coke. It finally passed and no more pork rinds ever. Just be sure to get plenty of fluids when you eat to wash it through. You will learn how much fluid to take in to maintain an easy movement. Be real careful of the blockages though. I had heard about the roto rooter crap and knew that was not for me. Just drink lots of fluids till it passes. Kinda not too fast though. Give it time.and depending on what blocked you it might go on thru. If not get help fast. You might try some mineral oil to loosen the stool. Too much of any good thing might give one the runs though. Trial and error. Be careful.

I will remember this. It could come in handy some day. Thanks

Since I came down with Crohn's Disease in 1976 I forgot what constipation felt like. I am always the other way around.

Thanks for the tips. I know that I should drink lots of water---I just don't like it. I usually drink better if I add lemon or lemonade or some flavoring. Remembering to chew thouroughy is hard also. My ileostomy output is normally loose, so constipation is a wake-up call to be more aware.

Has anyone ever noticed that foods with sugar alcohol or packaging that says "no sugar added" may use sweeteners and may cause a very watery ileostomy output? As you can tell, I can go from diarrhea to constipation pretty easily. Ha

I am a diabetic with an illeo. I have taken sugar alchohol in candy, chocalate and deserts and it gives me a lot of diareah. I dietician and my doctor told me to stay off of it. It is dangerous for us.

Steve

I forgot to mention after you drink the coffee lay flat for at least 30 minutes. This should solve the blockage.

Steve

See my additional reply about the coffee.

Steve

How about drinking flavored water they sell at Walmart? I drink Zero drinks which are excellent for the hot summers. It is made by Gatorade and has no sugar and no carbs but has potasium in it and is relatively cheap. You will never have to worry about electrolyte imbalance.

Steve

I just wrote you may want to drink a cup of caffinated coffee and then lay flat on your back for about 30 minutes and this move whatever is blocking out of the stoma. The coffee evidently causes movement in your bowel. This is a safe way of doing it.
A couple of my ostomate friends told me they do it and it works.

Steve

My ex husband who is very diabetic has been in the hospital several times with his COPD and every time his Potassium levels are way too high. Potassium is very dangerous if you have too much. Run a search on Potassium overdose and read it. Talk to your doctor and get your blood checked to see where you stand. You can have a heart attack if this goes way too high. Be careful.

The blockages are usually started because ostomates really don't handle fiber well--that's why most won't eat anything raw. That's true, but diabetics also form blockages from fiber buildups called boluses. The diabetic forms clumps of fiber in a ball (the bolus) because their system is so sluggish. I know how diabetics break up a bolus and you are not going to like it but it works. Mix about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of unseasoned meat tenderizer in about 1/2 cup of warm water--hold your nose and chug it down. It tastes awful and it works. The meat tenderizer breaks down the fiber and allows it to pass through the system. Make sure its the unseasoned type, the seasoned tastes even more terrible and I don't trust adding that salt and spices to my system.

Generally clear liquids and walking are important parts of getting a blockage to move. It is hard sometimes to get up and move because of the pain but walking increases GI motility and may help move the blockage through. Gentle massage and warm heat may also help. Some people find a heating pad on low relieves some of the pain and also relaxes the abdomen. Other people will soak in a tub of warm water to relax. Clear liquids ( liquids with no solids in them) should be all that is taken in so you aren't adding more bulk to the problem. Warm liquids also can induce GI movement in most people. I usually manage to get the blockage to move on with liquids and walking. I have been hospitalized once with a blockage but was able to walk it off instead of facing surgery.

Good Morning,

I have suffered from blockages for the past 18 years, however, they are becoming a lot less frequent. I like Linda53's advice: drink plenty of water and walk for starters. If I have beef and it seems it will be even a little tough, out it comes immediately. I avoided corn for years until my wife found some real fresh corn, not Jersey corn, but beggers cannot be choosey, and after chewing it really well, I did not even see a kernal in my pouch. However, the third batch was not the same and I had the worse blockage three weeks ago that I have had since the summer of 1999. I should have got up and walked sooner, but as soon as I ate a little something, and that is all it was, and walked a bit, I started to finally pass. Bottom line, chew untilt he food turns to mush, avoid whatever has given a blockage in the past, and drink plenty of water. Thank you everyone who has posted on this subject - so many members of this community will really benefit from the outstanding advice.

Chew that July 4th food until your mouth is tired and then celebrate our nation's 235th birthday!

Thanks,

Justin

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders