Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Bleeding and Pain around the stoma

Lately I have noticed some bleeding and pain around my stoma.
I have always had a little bit of blood (like a paper cut), but the past 2 days it been more and brighter. To the point that I have to hold a paper towel to stop the bleeding before I place another appliance on.

The pain I am getting is when I feel movement coming out. I have never had that type of discomfort before. I do not know if it is because my waist band for my clothes rest on my stoma or a possible blockage. My husband does not believe it is a blockage, due to that I am drinking constantly.

I do have a call into my ostomy nurse. I hope she will be able to see me sometime today or tomorrow the latest.

I am just scared that something is going terribly wrong.

21 replies. Join the discussion

I am sure you are scared to death. I know I would be. Surely, you ostomy nurse will come to see you for this emergency. And I believe it is an emergency. How long has this been going on? Do you get blood in the pouch? You may need to be hospitalized for this problem so be prepared.
I have never had anything like what you are describing. Sometimes I get a little blood because I have come to close to my stoma while cleaning my skin during a pouch change but that is about it.
I hope all goes well for you.
Blessings,
Alan

Dear Rosebud,
You are wise to have called the nurse. Pain and bleeding are always something to be concerned about and should be checked my a medical professional as soon as possible. With all the crazy activities I do, I often cause "victor" to bleed requiring pressure to stop the flow. I sometimes have discomfort (I wouldn't call it pain) from lying on my surfboard and wearing a backback with a belly band that rubs on my stoma.

Please follow up with your medical professional and let us know how you are doing.

Be WELL!
Randy

rosebud2012
The type of bleeding you talk about is not really common. As the other two persons said, sometimes you may, while cleaning around the stoma cause some light bleeding, and normally it will stop without putting pressure on it as you described. If your Stoma nurse is at the local hospital, you could go to the ER and ask for her/him specifically. The pain could be from what you are presently eating, since you feel the pain more when the discharge from your stoma is coming out. What type foods are you presently eating?

A couple of possibilities: If the skin around your stoma is irritated or broken, it will be affected by what comes out of your stoma. Clean your peristomal skin and look closely for even tiny fissures in the skin. A couple of weeks after my surgery I thought I was going to die from searing pain around my stoma. I finally put two and two together and realized it was from eating some very hot/peppery food throughout the week and it was burning my broken skin on the way out.
Another possible cause of pain is a convex wafer worn over a period of time that can cause peristomal bruising. I landed in the ER because of that pain-- no evidence on my skin, but pain to the point of tears when touched. For me, better a flat wafer with a little leaking now and then than enduring the pain!
Hope you get a proper diagnosis.
Cindy

Well here what is going on. Since my ostomy nurse did not call me by 10 AM, I took matters in my own hands and called my surgeons office before going into the ER. His nurse had me go to the hospital where he was on call.

He palpitated the area around my stoma to check for any signs of a hernia. Luckily no. We went over what I have been eating, and he cut out my home grown tomatoes:( and popcorn for the time being. I asked if they may have caused a blockage and he said he did not believe so, but he thinks that they maybe causing me to have some cramping.

I told him about the bleeding around my stoma (not coming from inside, but around). He had me remove my appliance and we both noticed red and irritated skin. He also saw a small cut under my stoma which he believes I may have done it with my fingernails while cleaning the area. Both him and the nurse asked how many times I changed my appliance and I told them that I went through a box within 24hrs. I told them that I had having a blow out every day sometimes twice a day.

I asked if my clothes had anything to do with the pain and or cramping and he said no unless they were very tight. I also asked if he could reposition my stoma and that was a big "NO".

He is going to have me visit my nurse on Friday to see how it the skin is healing along with changing my appliance for a better seal and comfort and fit (Randy I am going to ask about that turtle neck appliance you use). But if I should have extreme pain to do not wait a couple day but call and go in.

I'm glad you saw your surgeon. Hopefully, after seeing your nurse this problem can be remedied and there will be no more problems.
Blessings,
Alaln

Rosbud,

As I was reading your post, I was going to suggest you may have cut it with a fingernail. I've done that more than once and it bled profusely. Another thing to check is the wafer you are using. Many years ago, I used Holister which I liked very much. However, it had a thin layer of plastic that the wafer material was pressed onto. The wafer material was dissolving from under the plastic film and the film was cutting my stoma. I had to switch to Convatec, which I've been using since. The turtleneck helps as long as the stoma doesn't slip under it. I have to use a convex ring, but it's much bigger than my stoma so doesn't get in the way.

My stoma bleeds quite a bit, so I got an ostomy support belt with a prolapse belt attachment (all from Nu-hope) so the stoma and bag are outside of the belt when it is in place around the waist. Then I put 2-3 square sterile pads over the bag/stoma to pad it before closing the prolapse belt over the stoma area. Softer padding works better than the gauze type pads. Never place any restriction (belts, etc.) over the stoma.
God bless you all, this is a great site to learn and know you are not alone, and that we can help one another.
Smilinjack

smilinjack
You really need to see a colon/rectal surgeon and/or a stoma nurse(wocn), about your bleeding from your stoma. The stoma should not bleed as much as you say you are having bleeding.

Let's hear from ya, Rosebud. How are you doin'?
Blessings,
Alan

SmilinJack,

If you are having blood in your pouch deffinetly call your surgeon, ostomy nurse or go to the ER. I agree with Stoneface, your stoma is not to bleed as much as you say it is,
I get hints of bleeding on the outside of my stoma. Sometimes they are caused by either me cleaning to close or to hard with a washcloth, Or done by my wafer if I did not cut it smooth enough, nothing to call my ostomy nurse about. When I posted this late Sunday evening, I nicked my stoma with my fingernail. That was something I have never done before. It was bleeding profusely which I had to place pressure to stop the bleeding. I thought it was coming from my port and cramping that I had didn't help either. One thing I remember hearing my ostomy nurse say to me before leaving the hospital was..."If you see bleeding coming from your stoma call your surgeon office or me. If you are having pain around your stoma call your surgeon office or me". I was having both so yes I call immediately.

Allen,
I am doing much better thank you. I was able to see my ostomy nurse yesterday (she did not want to wait for Friday) and made some changes for me. Thanks again for asking.

Take Care.
Josie

You also should not place gauze over the stoma.

Right! Never gauze, this product is foam.

rosebud2012 and others.
An article in the UOAA official publication, The Phoenix, written by Dr Cera a board certified colon and rectal surgeon states about Blood in the pouch. Quote: " Ostomy patient asked, I occasionally see blood in my colostomy bag. It is usually only a small amount and then resolves by itself. Is this normal."? Doctor Cera replied: " Stomas in general are very fragile. The mucosa is not meant to be exposed to air and external environmental conditions and covered by stoma appliances. Gentle manipulation and a snug appliance can produce a small amount of bleeding occasionally. Howeer, any type of bleeding should be evaluated by a physician to ensure it is not coming from inside the intestine. Typical methods of evaluation may include x-rays or scopes (ileoscopy or colonoscopy)."

Rosebud2012 I was curious about your pain that you have. My stomach knots up and I can feel it stop (on both sides) then it hurts I double over then it empties.... That's the best I can describe it. This happens no matter what I eat. I was on a bland diet and it did it as well. It's very hard to explain.

Melissa83
What kind of Ostomy do you have? When did you have the surgery? What are you talking about that empties?

Melissa83,

The best way to discribe the pain that I had is a very bad stomach cramp. I have never had cramps like this post surgery. I was told by my surgeon that I was experiancing cramps due to what I was eating (popcorn, home grown tomatoes, fresh corn...summer foods). I also told him (my surgeon) that it felt heavy pressure when my stoma released. He assured me that the discomfort I felt was due to the cramps. He did not place me on a bland diet, just told me not to eat what I was eating for a while.

What I did to help myself to rid of the cramps, I went to my Yoga and Auqua Zumba class that day after I saw him. The stretching both on land in water helped with releaving the discomfort. We also changed the appliance that I was using. I went from a cut to fit to a premolded. I have to say I do feel better with it.

I hope you find some relief with your discomfort soon.

Take Care.
Josie

I have the one piece bc I can only last 1-2 days. I eat through them, but that's another problem. I mean I can feel, sorry blunt, the poop and gas traveling and it gets right to my stoma and causes horrible pain then it passes which also hurts the stoma. I really don't have a dr to go to. The surgery was may 25 th I think. It went all wrong I was out of it for a week. This is my second time to have bag first time illostomy for 8 weeks, I had the. J-pouch and it was very infected this surgery was done to save me my intestines shut down and they gave me 30 days to live. I didn't want this again. It was really easy at first, now it seems everyday gets worse... Not trying to unload on your page. Just thought maybe it was kinda the same prob. Thanks for getting back, hope I answered everything you asked...

The modeable appliance didn't work since I was going through so many.... I have very high watery output.

I had constant watery output too! It was like a running faucet. Foam pads around the stoma help alot better

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders