Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

Ballooning & filter issues

I cannot understand why, all colostomy bags manufacturers, do not place the filter at the extreme top end of the bag. Placing it too close to the stoma, will make the filter wet and gets blocked. In my opinion, fliters get blocked from inside, not from outside.

25 replies. Join the discussion

Agreed! It's very annoying.

I,too,agree..I just ordered and started using a particular brand that has the filter so close to the stoma that when I am sitting down working,tends to get wet and has leaked and transferred over to my clothing..I work from home and have not used these in public yet and am alittle afraid to do so because of this..

Could you not use a plain pouch and add a product such as Osto-EZ-Vent. This product is very easy to attach and is put on way at the top of the pouch.

I haven't tried that but it is definitely worth looking into..thank you..

I know about these vents. I do not like to complicate things. No creams, no accessories, just change the appliance, if possible, no other frills. As natural as possible

I have an ileostomy, so the built-in vents won't work for me with a totally liquid output.

I too have an ileostomy though my output is more like oatmeal. Anyways, I use the colomajic liners inside a closed, filtered pouch. You need a two piece system for this. When it's time to empty, remove the pouch, pull out the liner and slip in a new one and you're good to go. The liner seems to add protection from the filter getting wet and I can use the same pouch until I'm ready to change the flange. I find this system much cleaner, less odorous and quicker. Hope this helps!
Bbalanzd

I am so glad I read your post this morning..I received a sample bag of those liners not too long after my surgery but at the time was using a one piece system and couldnt use them..I stored them away and completely forgot about them till I read your post..I found them,am using one now and it is perfect! thank you again..this solves my filter problem and lengthens how long I can use the pouch..

Angeldust,
So glad to be of help. That's what we're here for!!
Good luck!
Bbalanzd

AngelDust,
Please share with us the company that sold you the ones with the filter so close to the stoma. Might help us all know what not to purchase.

they are the Hollister centerpoint lock pouches..dont get me wrong,I like Hollister's other products..I switched to this one because the flange is convex which helps it stay on my funny little stoma better but because of the placing of the filter on the pouches,the filter constantly is getting wet and will not work properly..I dont want to order these again but cant find another flange the right size that is convex..does anyone have any suggestions? thank you..

I use the Hollister New Image convex flange and interchange my pouches - small, closed ones for swimming; larger, closed ones for daily use and drainable ones for when I'm at the cottage (can't use the colomajic liners with a septic system). The filter of the New Image pouches is up near the top and again, with the liners I don't have any problems with ballooning. I do have to work at keeping the contact - either I will wear an ostomy belt with my "ostomy secrets" underwear or the support underwear from Comfizz. If I don't add some mechanical support then my little stoma plays hide and seek on me. I have sent away for and received samples from ConvaTec, Coloplast and Cymed. I too need convexity and the flanges from ConvaTec and Coloplast are like little saucers, which effectively help my stoma protrude more. The adhesion of ConvaTec was quite good, yet despite this and the "turtle neck" effect, there would still be seepage near my stoma after 2-3 days (too bad because I liked everything else about the system - but leakage is a deal breaker!). My quest is finding a system to last at least 5 days. Right now I'm wearing Coloplast and this is extremely comfortable - almost don't know its there. This is my second one...the first one leaked on day 4 and had I not been home it would have been an embarrassing leak (which I've not had yet...knock wood!). I'm on day 3 right now, so I'll keep you posted! If it lasts, I think I will switch to Coloplast. OK, there are my two cents for what they're worth.

thank you for the advice..it really did help..up until this last order I used the new image and loved the pouches but couldnt find a convex flange in the right size and because my stoma barely sticks out sometimes I was having problems with the flat ones staying on for more than a day or so..it's too bad about the ones I am wearing now because the flange is awesome..I am on my third week and only had to change the flange twice--they hold that well..I will definitely check out the two you suggested..

I have had an ostomy pouch for the past year and a half and have been using the convatec flange with a moldable eakin ring and use the osto-EZ-Vent to vent gas. I place the osto-EZ vent gas release cap very high and alongside the flange pouch filter area. My stoma protudes more on the top than on the bottom so I use one -half of the moldable Eakin ring, flatten it out in a semicircle and apply to the flange on the bottom half to sort of create more pressure on the bottom to hold it more firmly to the abdomen . It seems to work fine with no leakage.

I also use Coloplast convex wafer with a built in filter on the top of the bag. Coloplast sends these small seals to cover up the filter when you want to go swimming or take a shower. Normally after taking my shower, I take off the seal because I find if I don't, then the bag balloons up rather quickly. I also use Coloplast's barrier ring too which helps me get a good seal. My pouch will last a good 6/7 days. I use Gas X and Beano as both products help so much with the ballooning. Plus as bbalanzd mentions they are very comfortable.

I have tried various appliances, convatec, Hollister, Coloplast, Marlen, Salts, Welland, Pelican etc. They ALL balloon, at least for me.
Holister has twin filter and placed well above the stoma opening, but still I have expeirenced ballooning. The only bag which I found least suspectable to balooning was Convatec's Esteem, but I cannot use this bag, because, it has no collar ring, and I want to use internal liners.
All manufacturers provide us with a paper cap to cover the filter from the outside. In my opinion, and in my case, they are useless. I go to swim daily in summer, and have never covered the filter. Ballooning is due to wetting of the filter from INSIDE the bag, not from the outside !

I got a sample of the EZ Vent but have not felt like I understand exactly how to use it properly, so I've been afraid to try...

I had the same problem with EZ Vent. The directions seemed complicated for such a tiny vent.

I have found the Osto-EZ-Vent to be a Godsend. It is well worth the effort to figure out how to apply it to your pouches. I bought a bottle of isopropyl (90%) alcohol, and (if you have a cover on your pouch you will some small cuticle scissors), some q-tip swabs and sat down at the kitchen table and followed the instructions the manufacturer provided. ( I use a Convatec pouch with a cover.
I start to install the vent by placing the vent on the pouch as close to the top as I can and using a ball point pen, I draw around the circular part of the vent to identify where I need to cut the cloth cover of the plastic pouch. I then use the scissors to cut out a little circular patch to expose the plastic pouch. If you don't use a cover on your pouch you don''t need to do any of this. I next dip the cotton q-tip in the alcohol bottle and rub it on the little circular area where I intend to apply the vent on the plastic. I do this in an assembly line fashion - about six pouches at a time. After letting the pouches dry for a couple of minutes, I remove the sticky paper from the backside of the plastic vent and place it in the prepared circle on the pouch, pressing it firmly in place. I repeat this for all six pouches in assembly line fashion. I next use the point of my scissors to punch a hole in the plastic pouch from the inside through the vent hole and I am done. This process sounds complicated, but I find I can complete 6 pouches in about 15-20 mins.
I have found that using the Osto-EZ-Vent to be the best process to relieve the gas/ballooning problem, particularly when you travel. All you have to do is find an out of sight place or bathroom and snap the plastic vent cover open, press on the pouch and the gas is released. If you use a few drops of pouch deodorizer in the pouch it may make the process less odorous.
The filters built- in on current ostomy pouches are practically useless for the gas problem. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have by post report.

I realise the importance of vents, but I do not like complications. If possible, just change the pouch and that's it- no creams, vents or any other accessories - keep it natural as possible. This is especially true when I am away from home, attending some social occassion. Occassionally I use the liners : http://colomajic.com/. But they charge us a shipping charge, which is greater than the liners themselves !!! (we are in Europe) I have tried the flushables, as well http://www.wellandmedical.com/product-range/flushable/, but unfortunately, they balloon, just like all the others, otherwise, the most convienent and natural way for us. !

I guess, everone has his own issues, but it is impossible for the manufacturers to make an appliance for every patient !!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders