Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

bad rash around stoma

The past several weeks, I have had a lot of trouble with a horrible red rash around my stoma. It doesn't matter how often I change the appliances, or use stoma powder and skin barrier wipes. The rash stings and itches constantly.

I have had a lot of problems with my stoma sinking back into me, but have been delaying another ileostomy revision, because i don't want to screw up my college classes while recovering from surgery.

Does anyone know what I can do about the bad rash?

25 replies. Join the discussion

maybe you have a fungal rash touch base with a nurse who can help you or call the company you deal with sometimes yhse is a nurse available

also you can get a pou ch for inverted ostomys

Hi there,

I just went through months of that and it was not due to leaks all the time.
I finally went to see the nurse and I had developed a fungus under the wafer and I am also allergic to all tapes.
Now I put a barrier sheet on, shower without the wafer, use NO soap on the area and a little NyStatin powder.
Think it will never be gone completely for me, but much better on this prep :)
Hopefully yours is temporary, it is not a pleasant thing to have all the time!

Take care
Karen~

i find the barrier wipes to be the cause. i used a product called gentian violet (maybe not available under that name in the US but try to Google it. it worked for me and still does after 7 years

I recommend using pure "Mellalucca Oil" to help with the rash.
the oil is an anti- fungal and will soak into the skin in about 4 to 5 minuets. it helped clear up a yeast infection under my wafer.

You might want to try Karaya Paste by Hollister or their 1 piece karaya drainable bags. It works. The could be the hole is too big in the skin barrier and it leaks.

Steve

Hi! I have the same problem and thought it was an allergic reaction to the adhesive. My ostomy nurse looked at it and it was a yeast infection. She suggested a dusting of Desenex (antifungal for feet). So I tried it and found it started to work but it was hard to put enough on to help the infection and still allow the adhesive to stick. Being a woman, I thought about regular yeast infections and started putting a light coating of Monostat, rubbed in to skin, and guess what it is actually working ! As long as it is absorbed into the skin the adhesive sticks. I still have a couple spots to clear up, but I am feeling much better. This is just my own remedy, if the other suggestions don't work, maybe this will. Good Luck, I know how itchy and uncomfortable it is. Carol

Get in touch with your ostomy nurse. In this hot weather, rashes are more common. She may be able to prescribe a spray if you are dealing with a fungus.

I am allergic to tape and found that I am also allergic to two brands of pouches. Changing brands cleared up the rash.

There are special convex pouches that help deal with flat or inverted stomas. In addition something that puts a little barrier seal around the stoma like an Eakin seal can help.

A different pouch and a barrier seal may avoid creeping leakage around the stoma and help prevent further rashes.

Hay I found that Avono it is for diper rash I have the
Same problem and I try it because of having it had for son
Now he is 7yr old and I make a point to always have
It always works better then any of the power or creams any doc
Would give

Take care
Rose

I suggest using Dial soap only. Shave the area every time you change appliance. Don't use soaps w/ deodorants and oils.

I have had my colostomy for 17 years. I use a 2 piece system with an inverted wafer.
I wash with Dial soap and rinse and dry well. I use a prescription powder around the stoma before applying my wafer.
I think the big secret is wearing a cloth bag around the colostomy bag. It keeps me drier.

Hope this helps.
Brenda

Thanks for all the advice! I will talk to the ostomy nurse tomorrow.
I have been using convex wafers and a belt, but it doesn't seem to help the leakage.

Jessie

I mitigate topical skin/fecal bacteria infectivity reactions by thoroughly washing around, and the stoma with soap and water followed by an application of a providone-Iodine (Betadine®) microbicide around the entire skin area surrounding the stoma including the stoma covered by the barrier. Dry it using a hair blower until the microbicide is slightly tacky. Then apply a thin layer of an antiseptic wound gel, e.g. Anasept®) <http://www.anacapa-tech.net/products/anasept-antimicrobial-skin-wound-gel/ > over the same area and again dry with the hair blower until slightly tacky. Also place a few drops of the providone-Iodine microbicide on the surface of the Eakin® seal before you shape it to size with your fingers warmed with water and then fit it around your stoma with the providone-Iodine microbicide side down on the skin. Dribble a little bit of warm water around the seal to assure a good seal. (Adhesion of the he Eakin seal being a pectin based gel is increased by the dribbled warm water between it and the skin.) Then place and seat the convex barrier seal on the Eakin® seal around the stoma anchored by the two, 3 inch wide hypoallergenic tape strips with semicircular cut-outs. Finally, mount an ostomy bag on the barrier and secure it all with an Ostomy belt using the flange ears on the bag.

See my journal entry 6/28/2011 for a complete description of my system:

Questions for Brendee (Brenda) Your reply brought up some questions and I think your info might help me. What system has an "inverted wafer"? I'm very overweight and my stoma keeps moving in and out. I use a convex wafer by Convatec and an Adapt ring but IN still causes leaks onto the adjacent skin. I use ostomy protective powder and barrier wipes (twice before applying wafer) but it doesn't seem to help much. Can you tell me the name of the prescriptive powder you use? also the name of the cloth bags? (I use high output pouches regularly and tape on the lower portion of a Coloplast ileo night pouch for nighttime when my system is most active). Technically, it's a 7 year old colostomy that behaves like an ileostomy 90% of the time.

I use no soap around my stoma and haven't for more than 50 yyears ; and , only had some rashes when I was using the caveman appliances we were using before all the great appliances we now have availabe. I also do not irrigate my pouch when I empty it out. Just wipe off the end and clean out the spout by rolling toilet tissue and reeming out the contents . It takes a little practice; but, it can be done. Wipe your stoma well just before you put on the eakin ring. Then apply a skin barrier before the pouch flange. Frame the flang with pink tape; theapply karaya powder between the stoma and the opening between the stoma and th opening of the flange.That should take care of the problem I hope. And, most of all, Keep your weight down to what is considered god for youe height. I had more leaks develop when I was 20-30 pounds overweight than I have ever had since. Obecity is the top enemy of the ostomate.. Eat healthy; avoid white food (cake, donuts, pastries, rice white potatoes, chips etc. ) Exercise a lot ( dancing , walking, biking,etc.) ....It's not easy; but, the rewards are worth the effort. Now, get with it.

Betnovate scalp lotion (don't laugh) a stoma nurse told me about it and it works, apply, let it dry, spray with 3M barrier spray let that dry and pop the bag on. If your stoma has become inverted you will ultimately need a resiting of the stoma but in the interim build up the wall with eakin moudlable wafers. They work. Liz

Here is some more info. I use Convatec Sur-Fit Natura. This is a durahesive Moldable Convex skin barrier with a flange. Sometimes I use part of an Eakin seal as my stoma is lower on side. I put the piece of seal on and then apply my wafer.
The powder I use is Nystop powder. It is a prescription and I dust it lightly on my skin when I change my wafer.

I use a cotton cloth bag that is made to fit my bag. I use closed end pouches and I bought my first cloth bags thru an ad in the ostomy magazine. (now I have a friend make them from scraps of material and I get to make a decision which pretty bag I should wear each day.)

ARE YOU MAKING SURE WHEN YOUR CHANGE YOUR WAFER YOU ARE DRYING THAT AREA REALLY WELL. MAYBE IT IS ONE OF THE WIPES YOU ARE HAVING AN ISSUE WITH. I TRIED A NEW ADHESIVE REMOVER PRODUCT AND IT CAUSED ME A VERY ITCHIE RASH. NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM BUT IT DROVE ME CRAZY. I USE THE POWDER ALL AROUND MY WAFER NOT JUST THE STOMA. THAT SEEMS TO WORK RIGHT FOR ME. GOOD LUCK AND I CAN SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU THE ITCHNG IS A BIG PROBLEM.. ALSO I USE MY HAIR DRYER ON LOW THE WHOLE TIME I AM CHANGING MY APPLIANCE SEEMS TO BE WORKING WELL, FOR ME. HOPE IT WILL FOR YOU

DIAL soap helped me out alot too. a good antibacterial.

I ALWAYS USE DIAL SOAP. ALSO TRY TO TAKE MY SHOWER BEFORE I HAVE TO CHANGE MY WAFER. AS I SAID BEFORE I AM VERY CAREFUL TO MAKE MY AREA COMPLETELY DRY... SO FAR THAT HAS WORKED OUT WELL FOR ME BUT IT IS ALWAYS THE TIME THAT IT MIGHT NOT. AND I LOOK TO ALL ON THIS SITE FOR HELP AND I AM VERY THANKFUL EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS. AND THANKS

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders