Allergy to root canal

I do not know if anyone has experienced this, but I had a root canal for a tooth, and a day after it was completed I began to develop painful hives that do not go away. They keep on multiplying. I have gone to several doctors and they say that it could not be from the root canal, but have no explanation. They have done allergy testing, which comes back normal. I am in a lot of pain with this. Has anyone ever experienced this, or know if it is possible to be allergic to the tooth that was done.
CMR

5 replies. Join the discussion

its either the RCT wasnt done in the right way ....or u might be allergic to some of the components used during the treatment.....specially at the irrigation process...so you need to take x-ray for the treated tooth...and ask the doctor if he/she sees any abnormal changed...
or you can send it to me ...and i will see what i can find...
all the best.

dr_hassan
thank you for your response. I had the tooth done in March, as it is now June, I cannot eat on that side. I did go back to the dentist yesterday, and he took an x-ray, said everything looked okay and to go to an oral surgeon to see if the root canal has to be completed from above the tooth. Do not know how much more to take before just giving up and having the tooth pulled. But after all the expense of the root canal and crown, I hate to loose the tooth. Have you heard of people being allergic to the components? cmr

the surgery you going to have call apexectomy...but i dont think you need that surgery since the x-ray showed no changes...bout allgergic reaction to root filling materials, it was reported in books ...but i have never seen it clinicaly....there are 2 types of filling materials....1-Guttapercha 2- silver points... the silver is more likely to causes allgergic reaction than the 1st one, what i think you should do, is retreatment with the other type of filling,...that if the allgergic reaction diagnosis is definit...
try to send me the x-ray ..and try to take a photo of the effected area, and i will do my best to diagnose your case.
and i think you should reconsider tooth extraction only if it was the cause of the changes you been facing, coz it could be many reasons for it ...maybe during the procedure you were traumatized by any instrument and u didnt feel it....
im sorry ...its really hard for me to tell u what is it ...coz i need to see before judging...im just doing my best to help....
forgive me language and spelling ....english is not my 1st language...
all the best and keep me infromed with the latest..

dr_hassan,
again thanks for your help. Yes, the x-rays showed no changes at all. They said everything looked fine, except my gums over the tooth are slightly inflamed. And, of course, that I am still experiencing problems and discomforts. I asked about being allergic and they laughed and said that is impossible. But I had read on the computer that people could be allergic. The dentist said that with the material they use now, that would not be the case.
I did not want to go for more surgery on the root through the gum if it was not necessary. I really appreciate your help. I will try and give it more time and see what happens.
I assume you must be a dentist, and too bad you weren't one here.
Again, thanks so much for all your help.
CMR

dear AnneR :
i just tried to help ....at the end ...its your call...
one last advice...try to use any mouth wash contains chlorohexidine gluconate 0.2%....this will help u to eliminate the inflammation and u will start feeling changes in the inflammed area...and maintain a good oral hygiene...brushing and flossing....
hope u will always have a greate smile....
take care....
best wishes....

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders