Removal of PICC line at home and not in the hospital?

Has anyone ever heard of a home health nurse removing a PICC line in your home and not in the hospital? It does not sound right to me at all; it seems to me the interventional radiologists who placed the line should remove it. What do you all think?

10 replies. Join the discussion

as long as its clean. ive seen it done in a infusion room. just mask up and glove up, snip the sutures if any and pull. put a pressure bandage on and the patients go home.

there's really no problem with it being removed at home...as long as the person removing it has done so before, knows what s/he is doing, etc. very rarely would a radiologist actually remove it....probably only if they happened to be placing a new one at the same time for some reason.

when removed in the hospital (aka b/c already there for other reasons) they are generally removed bedside by either a PICC line nurse or a low-level doc, i.e. 1st year resident (aka just out of medical school, which generally means FAR less experienced &/or knowledgeable than many, if not most, home health nurses).

for what it's worth my comments are based on my having had more PICC lines than anyone can count or keep track of. i would tell you straight out if doing it at home raised any concerns for me but it genuinely doesn't. i can see where you are coming from logically, but in reality taking the line out is nothing like the environment, expertise, etc needed for its placement.

hope this helps put you at ease....
:-)melissa

p.s. congrats on your line coming out!

Thanks Melissa! I have never heard of removing a line at home and in the best interest of my daughter's care, thought it would be a good idea to post on Oley for feedback.

I agree with Melissa. Although most of my PICC lines have been removed in the hospital ( I was there anyway because of an infection or other problem), I have heard that the removal can be done at home such as through a home health nurse. Considering the quality of the home health nurses that I have had, I would feel comfortable having them remove my line in clean conditions. I hope that you and your daughter may have a weekend brightened by many new reasons for hope and smiles. Many hugs.

Warm regards,
Bobbiejo

Oh no - anyone can remove a PICC line. A visiting nurse, a bedside nurse - anyone. It can be removed at home or in the office. Some visiting nurses can even insert them.

Good luck!

Mimi

Our son has had 28 surgeries in his short 21 years of life. He's had numerous PICC lines and the last one, his PCP felt we could take it out ourselves at home. We are often told by various health care people that we(my DH & I) should be nurses or doctors by now. I think NOT! :) As long as you are very clean and sterile in removing it and place a clean gauze over it, until it heals, things should be fine. One thing that helped us , too, was the fact that the radiologist had given us the exact length of the PICC line. When we removed it, that helped us to make sure all of the line came out.

I've had mine removed at the doctors office. Like ppl said just make sure everything is sterile. One thing to note is that it is pretty long. The first time I had one pulled (I wasn't feeling very well to start with) but I sat up and saw the PICC after the nurse pulled it out and I passed out cold. Freaked me out. Now I just make sure that I don't look at it after it is pulled. Kind of funny the things that will make me pass out when it is my own body yet I can see it being done to others or with animals in school etc...and have no problems. LOL

I'm the same way, Jen!

Mimi

I have had PICC lines removed at home by my home health nurse. There are no issues with it as long it is clean. As a nurse, I have removed PICC lines before. It is very simple procedure - they should check to make sure that the tip of the line is intact - I have never had one come out without the tip - but it is possible. Even as the nurse - it is still creepy to have the line pulled out of your own body - so I never watch.

I had my PICC line removed by an RN at the nursing home I recovered from surgery at. All she did was wore a surgical mask and had me wear one too, and use sterile gloves and gauze. It was actually nice to have her do it there rather than going to a hospital to have it removed.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Oley Foundation

Help the Oley Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Oley Foundation

Discussion topics

Helpful links from the Oley Foundation

Community leaders