Maximum diameter of stomach feeding tube

My husband has A.L.S. and will be having a stomach feeding tube inserted next week. We plan to feed a blenderized diet and want the largest possible diameter of feeding tube. Does anyone know if 24Fr is the largest stomach feeding tube?

Thanks,
Katruschka

11 replies. Join the discussion

No. I think Kimberly Clark has them up to 30 Fr in a std G-tube. I have a 24 Fr Mickey Button and it has never clogged (10 months). The tube itself is 24 Fr. but the connectors are much smaller so I am not sure how much it helps to be this diameter with the button type. I didn't realize mine was large when the surgeon placed it, but I found out when we tried to find a low profile replacement for my initial tube.

Okay, I have questions about diameter or Mickey Button also. Son went from a g-j tube to a G tube. His is working fine with juice diet: 1 cup blended fruit + juice and later in day blended 1 avacado + vege juice. I thin it all down with herbal tea or water to make almost a quart. That is all my son can take in one feeding (we do this 6 times a day). I then strain it through a screen that came with a 'sprouting' kit - the medium screen size (1/8"), and insert it with a 60cc syringe. It takes no more than 5 min. for delivery. Juicing and blending is pretty time consuming though.

Question:
If we go to Mickey button will these foods go in and are the connectors standard? The main reason we're considering a Mickey is because I was told by a Mom with a very young son, that one can swim (get in water that covers you) with a Mickey button. Who has experience with this? I always assummed that with a hole in your stomach, swimming would drown you. My adult son was very active in water sports and even though his tumor left him with impaired physical abilities, he really wants to be able to get in the water again.

@lastnerve:
Hmmmm ... being brand-new to all of this, I must not quite understand the mechanics of what connects to what. Could you explain a little more? Thanks again.

I have a 24f button and use a blended diet. What you will need is a Vita Mix or BlenTec blender as the regular blender will not stand up over time and you might have to strain food (to time consuming and waste alot). My VitaMix will chew up anything. They are very expensive ($400?) but with a dr note you can get a discount or a refurbished unit.
Juicing for me did not work. Moma said she feeds a quart per feeding I could never get close to that so I need high quality nutrition dense food that is not watered down.
If you are interested in the blender diet you have to join the Yahoo group for blended diet it is the greatest. They also were giving away one VitaMix blender a month. Lots of great help there.

momand son..... I can promise you that noone fills up with either a button or the G tube. AND you are not silly or alone in that thought, I have had docs ask me.. the pressure in your stomach is greater than the air pressure outside, and as long as he doesnt do diving down beyond 8ft, the water wont go in.. so thats one thing.. yes G tubes leak but such a minimal amount [truly even tho it seems to flood the clothes and bedding at times] that even if it did leak inwards, it wouldnt even get to an ounce. I wanted to go swimming in the sea with my G tube so I just rolled it up and place a large tegaderm [with a gauze over the tubing] over the whole lot mainly to keep the sand out, and the thought of stinging sea water ... not for leakage and drowning problems.
A fine tube will clog but there is no need to go beyond say a 24 as the connecting ends rule the smallest diameter, and with a button its the size of an enteral connector, which is just the same as a luer lock syringe inner diameter. I havent seen one bigger but if you checked the manufacturers website i guess that will tell you.. Big is not always best!! you have been given advice on sieving and also make sure that you stop and rinse the tube during the 'feed' say every 50ml of food give 10ml water to stop food from jamming up down the bottom.. I did not try blenderised food when I had my tube.. as it was food that I seemed to be allergic to, then the allergy started with the supplementary food so I have no experience personally. and also I could eat a little.

Both my adult tube-fed children have a 24fr. I have used a 26, but saw no advantage. I do use, however, something different than most. I use a 140 cc. syringe. I buy them from horse or sheep sites, and they're only about $5. each. I cut the end off the tip, so the opening is a bit bigger, and the feedings go much easier. Less filling the syringe, less mess. I pour a little olive oil each time on the rubber tip, so it goes in easily. The rubber does swell, but I can use each for about a week, for two kids, three times a day. My kids can only hold 2 1/2 cups total, but I make the blend fairly thick. An hour or so before each feeding, I give water, and it is gone by feeding time. 1 or 2 cups. I've been blending their food for five years, with wonderful results. The reflux and constipation issues brought on by canned formula are gone.

Thanks, all. This is very helpful. And I like the idea of using an extra large syringe.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Today is the day my Hubby gets his tube, and this information has been very valuable to us.

@real_food_blending ... Your tip about the 140cc syringes is great! Thanks. I found an on-line vet supply store that sells these, and I've purchased 3.

Great information on this site! I had a peg tube placed 4 weeks ago due to chronic aspiration that led to pneuminia several times. I am a 52 year old male and had radiation to my throat 12 years ago. I struggled to eat for years and after therapy and multiple consulatations, I had the tube placed. I am doing the blended diet and I am loving it. I get more nutrition and different types of food in me that I couldnt get in for years. I would like to get a button placed in 4 weeks. I have surfed the web and I'm leaning towards an AMT baloon button. I welcome any comments or suggestions from active adults that have buttons. I play golf, work fulltime and lead a very active lifestyle. My biggest concern in switching from my peg tube to a button is that the connectors for the tube to join the button are universal in size. The manufacturer was unable to tell me what the diameter the connector reduces to from the tube size. If I get a 24 french button placed with 24 french tube attachments, what benefit is that if the connector reduces to a 12,16, or 18 french? I dont think this makes much sense. I dont want to strain every thing to a fine liquid for feedings. Currently I get thick blends in my peg tube with ver few clogs.

Son's g-tube has been in place since Oct. A lot longer than I thought it would last. Still trying to plan for next replacement - likely with a MicKey button. I don't understand the different types so any tips on what works best with blenderized diet would be helpful. He also uses formula for overnight feeding. Can the two types of diet, juiced/blenderized diet and Osmolite drip be used with the button? Is there a place I can look to compare the AMT balloon and the french buttons plus other types? I am looking forward to having the Dr. tell him that he can get into the water. Any negative experiences that we should look out for besides not getting into a hot tub. Blender just gave out so looking into getting VitaMix w/Dr. note. I hope that does not trigger Ins. co. into not supplying bags, and other supplies for formula. Thanks everyone.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Oley Foundation

Help the Oley Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Oley Foundation

Discussion topics

Helpful links from the Oley Foundation

Community leaders