hickman catheter removal

i have had a hickman catheter in for about 4 months and i will be getting it removed soon. my doctors office schedualed the apointment with the surgen to remove it so i didn't get a chance to ask how it will be removed. i do plan on calling them to ask but they are closed right now. so any of you who have had a hickman catheter in how was it removed? were you put to sleep? were you awake? were there stitches after it was removed? any help would be very much appreciated. thanks.

2 replies. Join the discussion

i just had a change in may... i was nervous and asked for some valium before hand.. i had a bad blood infection after having it replaced under local and some versed about a week earlier.. plus my neck had a clot and had phlebitis real bad.. the drs just came in my room and pulled it out. no pain, no muss no fuss. i was extremely nervous before hand, but would not hesitate again. it was very simple. BTW my hickman had been in over 6 years. then it broke and had to have it changed out over a wire. that was the start of this whole mess. bad changeout.

thanks. i haven't had any problems with it other than being allergic to the dressing. i just don't need it anymore so its coming out next week.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Oley Foundation

Help the Oley Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Oley Foundation

Discussion topics

Helpful links from the Oley Foundation

Community leaders