g-j tube busting

My child has had a g-j tube for 10 years, and we have never had any trouble.
We had it changed out right before school started. The balloon busted after
4 days. We went back,replaced with another one. Now 5 weeks later we are on our 6th one. I called Kimberly Clark and they had me send 3 of the old ones
back. Has anyone ever had this happen??? At first thought it was a bad batch of tubes. Now wonder if the acid or some of her meds. might be breaking
down the balloon. Any suggestions would be greatful.
Thanks
Karen Williams mom to Emily

1 reply. Join the discussion

Hi, Ems Mom.

Do you know how much the balloon is being inflated when it is put in?

After several failed tubes when my tube life was new two years ago, I discovered by reading my hospital medical records that they were inflating the balloon with 10 cc's of saline. My tubes have all clearly stated 3-5 cc's. When I brought this up, my first GI doctor (I fired him!) said, "Oh, they put 10 cc's in everything."

Now I insist before they start the procedure that they only put up to 5 cc's (I prefer 4). It's amazing how much longer they last when the medical folks don't over-inflate them.

I think all of us should oversee this and be very insistent! Even when they treat me like I am being too pushy, I have to advocate for myself. To add to the issues, I use a 16 french. Two major hospitals in Atlanta don't even stock that size. I am in the middle of that issue right now.

I actually think we need to somehow form a public voice to get doctor's educated and interested in our continuum of care! Anyone interested?

Here's to life, breath, and advocating! Marie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Oley Foundation

Help the Oley Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Oley Foundation

Discussion topics

Helpful links from the Oley Foundation

Community leaders