AMT Mini One Button vs Mic-Key button

Hello,
Could you who have buttons tell me if you have found the AMT Mini One Button more reliable than the Mic-Key button made by Kimberly Clark? I am 62 have had a feeding tube for two years because of swallowing problems. My Mic-Key button ballon burst three times in six weeks this spring so went back to g-tube which I find uncomfortable. I am small frame 5-2 weigh 96 pounds so there is not much to my stomach.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Peg07

7 replies. Join the discussion

Peg07,
I have had all three, g-tube followed by the Mic-key and then the Amt Mini One button w/balloon. I am also 62 and can no longer swallow. I found the g-tube annoying. It kept hanging up on door knobs and hand rails! The Mic-key worked just fine. I currently have the AMT. It is lower profile and more flexible. I have never had the balloon burst with either the Kimberly-Clark or the AMT. The AMT is easy to replace as was the Mic-key. The balloon design of the AMT seems to be a better design being 'apple' shaped. It looks to have more contact area and therefore less pressure against tthe stomach lining. So bottomline is give the AMT a shot!
Steve

Steve,
Thanks a lot. Where do you get your AMT ballon?
Peg

Peg07,
I get mine from the Mayo in Phoenix when I am there for my regular check-ups. I will look through my old emails. My PEG tube nurse sent me some links. I hope I can find them. If I can't I am sure someone on the site will lead you in the right direction.
Good luck and keep us posted on how the AMT works out.
Steve

The AMT website is www.appliedmedical.net
Click on "GI", and then on the Amt Mini One button.
Make sure it's the "mini one" because the "classic" is not compatible with mic-key feedsets. Having the one that's interchangeable makes getting supplies much easier.
nmhusky is right, the AMT is much more flexible. Smaller and flatter too. We are switching because we've heard so many good things about it.
Good luck!

I am a fan of the AMT mini one as well! I have had both mic-key and AMT Mini one and I will definitely stick with the AMT.

Thanks for your responses to my question. and thanks for telling me to avoid the classic. I do have extra mickey extension sets I am in North Dakota and have to see if my doctor knows about the AMT button. Appreciate you all. This support site is so helpful. Many of you have harder things to bear than I do. I admire your courage.
Peg

My doc didn't know about the AMT mini one button - I was the one who researched it on the internet and suggested it to him - and I am glad I did!
Wishing you the best,
Julia

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Oley Foundation

Help the Oley Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Oley Foundation

Discussion topics

Helpful links from the Oley Foundation

Community leaders