tumor on my cervical spine c3-c4

I went to the doc's cuz I have loss of feeling in my hands . long story short. i have a tumor in my cervical spine sever compression of the cord, and to top it off its blocking my right vertebral artery. my doc right now say's he feels it would be not a good idea to do surgery. right now like many of you i'm waiting on a final answer. he sent my mri's to the childrens tumor foundation for a second opinion , i think. i now only have normal feeling in my right leg. the rest of me isn't really feeling a thing, expt pain, back ,neck. it sucks. so have any of you had to go threw this type of thing, should i have a second opinion, surgery. i would love to hear your thoughts.

13 replies. Join the discussion

I don't think sending MRIs to CTF will do anything, CTF doesn't have a doctor on staff nor am I aware they offer 2nd opinons.

If you are in ohio, Cleveland Clinic has an NF clinic. You should try to contact them or have your doctor contact them.

I had a tumor on my C1 - 2 removed back in '04. Before surgary I felt like I was wrapped up in paddind from my neck to my waist. I stumbled all the time and bounced off walls - literally. I could barely feel with my hands. I had trouble swollowing. I even had trouble speaking, the words would get stuck.
I felt like crying because I felt my life slipping away.
Basically it sucked. I was off work for 8 weeks, returning 4 weeks early because it was the only way to keep my job.
Get a 2nd opinion. What is the reason he doesn't want to do surgary ?
Good luck.

my insurance isn't accepted at the clinic, i have to switch it here next week. my daughter gose there now for he chemo.

he say's he has a bad feeling about it. im a little worried, i'm the bread maker right now so if possible i'd like to wait till july for surgery so i can get benifits from work.

can you tell me was it compressing the spinal cord? my mri say's sever compression, and a blocked vertable artery. my hands are cold and no i can't feel my fingers witch blows cuz i have to type every day. can ya tell me some bout your surgery?

hi smallfry411,

i have nf2, and i have a large tumor inside my spinal cord at c-1 thru c-3. i had surgery in 2003, but they could not remove it cuz it has embedded itself in the spinal cord...i only have 20% space in there...the tumor is taking up 80% of the space.
as a result i have physcal problems w/both sides of my body.....my left leg is smaller than my right and weak, my right foot drags when i walk and my leg is weak, my fingers on my right hand curl up and don't want to open, i can't feel with my left fingers, i can't feel when something touches my back. my balance sucks, i bounce off of walls also...walking is very difficult for me...and i have constant pain in my neck and shoulders. i can't work anymore.
my doc tells he doesn't want to do surgery again cuz it's too risky......and he just tells me theres nothing he can do for me.
i'm sorry that i don't have any good advice for you.......i just wanted you to know that you are not alone. nf sucks!
there are docs working on meds to shrink tumors....one is called "AVASTAN" idk if i spelled it right.......ask your doc about it.......google it.

My tumor was compressing the nerves in my spine. They were able to remove most of it. I go for yearly MRI's of my neck and spine. It's not growing much so it's always a wait and see.

yes it dose suck big time. someone also said ADAPOCRINE it's a natural thing , i think.!

did the funny feeling go away? and how long is the hospital stay with this kind of thing?

I had a tumor at C5-T1. It also was compressing my spinal cord and caused weakness on my left side. I had no pain from the tumor but I started to notice all these subtle changes on my left side that were getting worse with time; weakness, trouble picking my foot up. I had it removed but the doctor couldn't remove the tumor on my nerve root. It is being watch with yearly MRIs. I spent 8 days in the hospital and the operation was a success. However, my symptoms that I had before the operation didn't go away afterward. The doctor said that they sometimes do but not usually and after 3 months I would be able to see one way or another. Good luck with yours and I hope all goes well.

did any of the discomfert go away? i neeeedddddddd this to go away . and i hope yours goes away no matter what that doc says. did it get any better?

My Wife Sandra has had 2 spinal ops on her c5 c6 c7 and it is still not fixed
After Sandra first opp she was ok for about 8 years it was not until Sandra had her first Baby that things got worse again
Dr and surgeons have said dont come back it is too dangerous to operate we have seen many doctors and they say the same thing. She now mainly gets around in a wheelchair these days and she has severe pain in her hands caused by the 1st operation. Her older sister had the same operation in Dec of last year and was in hospital for 4mths like Sandra and is now doing really well and is using a walking stick .

We have been to about

WOW... I can't believe I found this site! FINALLY! I have been sick ... for over 2 years now. I even lost like 30 pounds at one time (very quickly), while working in Germany. And while there a naturopathic doc gave me these drops and when I researched them I read it was a German treatment for tumors---got better or well enough to finish a year contract. Sooo now... back in the states, I am going broke trying to get some relief and a diagnosis. My neuro finally did a spinal MRI and found several bulging/herneated discs AND a small tumor in my C4 ... says in one part of the report it is a nonspecific lobular lesion and then describes it as an atypical hemangioma needing further investigation. The Neuro was looking for MS... because I --as you all ---have this left side pain/numbness, loosing balance/vertigo, falling, chronic pain from head to toe basically and chronic fatigue/weakness. The Neuro sent me (as advised from MRI report) to get a bone scan but says ... he doesn't think this is my problem and he would like to refer me to Mayo or some other University! GEEEZ!!! I can't afford it..... I only have hospitalization, all doc visits and test (if not hospitalized) is on my dime! I am up to $8000 or more just in the past 3 months and STILL no diagnosis! AND this sounds like it is exactly my problem, even from looking at a diagram of all the nerves affected by this area! But I am not a doctor. My symptoms make sense if this tumor is impenging nerves there.

Anyway...needless to say I am a self employed engineer consultant .... and can't work! Some days I do good to sit in my recliner! I am waiting for the Bone scan result but am dreading it .... them, once again, telling me ... THAT'S NOT IT!! I don't know what to do!! Any ideas??

Sorry to get so winded .... but I have been alone in this and I am feeling so hopeless!

Thanks!
:O)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders