Severe headache starting in back of neck

Does anyone get headaches starting in the back of neck and head=feels like a lot of pressure, and going into one eye that has an NF on the eyelid? This one is no fun at all. Have no medical coverage. Tried aspirin, doesn't help.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Does it persist round the clock, or does it only occur under some circumstances?

This one is all day long=it lightens up a little bit at nighttime=have had it for about 3 weeks now.

I get headachs that last weeks at a time to but mine may be diffrent , sometimes they start in the back of my head and sometimes the start in the side of my head, but they always end up hurting all over. Major persure in my head, light bothers me, sound bothers me, movement bothers me. Nothing has worked for me either

I get them all the time and sometimes they are so severe I cannot sleep and want to bash my head against the wall and sometimes they wane and are not even evident.

I've been told it is because there is a tumor near my cheekbone placing pressure on a nerve, although I am aware of other tumors in the back of my head and around the eye. (I can feel them and physically they seem as a mild oddity or discomfort).

some of the ones on my spine though were related to a tumor that needed to be removed. So I would recommend an MRI.

I really cannot take anything for the headaches. The OTCs are anti-coagulates and often inspire nosebleeds. Prescription medications cause uncomfortable side effects and make me loopy.

My headaches are exactly as you describe them and I've had them all my life. There is a pressure that is right in the back of my head and feels like it goes behind my right eye. Sometimes it is a burning sensation and actually throbs. I can feel it in the back of my neck and my upper right shoulder sometimes.

Good luck...hope this answers your post.

Thanks.

Yes, I have terrible headaches which do start from the back of my head which feels like a pounding pressure against my skull. But the pain works its way to the front of my head. Normally paracetomol doesn't work for it which really annoys me as I can't get rid of the pain and I have to wait for it to go. It normally occurs at least five times a week, but sometimes happens every day.
I don't know the cause of this but I have a suggestion as it may be due to stress.

Hi;

I believe some with balance issues have headache/stiff neck from trying to maintain an even, motion free, environment.

I get stiff neck and headache as really have no vestibular input from the ears.

If I understand you correctly, you say you have an eyelid tumor. Personally, I doubt that would cause a HA.

I think for some, a muscle relaxant, or a Valium like med helps.

Best wishes here!

Russ

I occasionally get "Monster" tension? headaches. They start at the base of the skull, near the 'Atlas' bone. They 'travel' up & over the top of my head.
Feels like being branded with a HOT Poker.
Sometimes my eyes are 'Light Sensitive' during the episodes.
I believe some could be "caffeine headaches".

I have headaches that start in the back of my neck and wrap around to my eye. My eye has a small tumor, but apparently the eye tumor doesn't have anything to do with the headache. It feels like an ice pick stabbing pain. I also get that pressure in my head. The light didn't bother me and I never felt sick to my stomach so the doctor assumed it wasn't a migraine type of headache. I ended up at a physiotherapist and she said the headaches where causes by pressure on my cervical spine.( I had a tumor taken out and my spine isn't as straight as it was before.) Anyway, she loosened up my muscles in my neck (at the side mostly) and has relieved the tension that was pulling on my spine and the headaches went away. They do occasionally come back but I can deal with occasionally.

I have almost constant headaches. Mine, however, usually begin at the side of the head and radiate behind the eye. The side pain feels like someone is trying to drive their thumb,(a really BIG thumb,)through the side of my head. I can't take most pain medication because they make me too dopey or too jumpy. One doctor put me on anti-depressents, but they caused me to become depressed and combative. So I quit. I usually take over the counter night-time Tylenol.(one for levels 1-5, two for levels 6-10)--It doesn't do much, when the pain is really, really bad. But it helps me get through the day. When the pain level reaches above an 9, I try to lay down. But that isn't always possible, so I do the best that I can. I don't know how much this helps, accept that you will know that you're not alone.

HELLO i to get headaches like that 3xs a week and use Excedrin maximum strength migraine usually works when i get they last all day and when i try to sleep it keeps me awake along with my restless leg syndrome and nf1

Hi;

Re, the HA type which radiates to the eye, does it help anyone to squeeze the bridge of the nose near the top with two fingers?
It helps me, but sometimes I have to experiment to find just the right blood vessels to compress at the top of the nose.

Yes, I suffer from these too.

Have one right now, as a matter of fact.

I wish there was an answer to this.

Mine is increasing with more pain. Starting @ directly under the skull and a little to the right and feels like it's going into my head. I'm not one to complain, but I am getting concerned. A bit scared to be honest. Should an MRI do the job or Catscan, ultra sound or what?
Aspirin is now not working and even Fiorinal does not work "anymore".
Any body have direct suggestions? I feel for you all in here!
Doesn't go up to my eyes nor my jaw. Doesn't feel like it is a bone issue either.

I also get headaches. I have one now. it even moves down into my shoulders.

I can say same here on those headaches, I found something that may help. I bought one of those Horseshoe shaped pillows, the one I found is filled with rice hulls I think, its one of those always cool pillows, found it at my local Walgreens. Been using it a week now when the pain/ headache hits use it and slowly lean my head back into it to relieve pressure close my eyes and relax for a few minutes. It helps a bit on the headache, but does not cure it. I cant take any of my pain killers while at work so I have been expirmenting with this.

I get them too. Some times it feels like my head is going to pop off

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders