Sensitivities...

Does anyone have other extreme sensitivities? My sense of smell is overwhelming. Diapers or garbage make me extremely sick, Detergents and perfumes make me feel like my chest is caving in. Even the slightest whiff that is undetectable to others is like a bomb to me. Same with my hearing, I can hear the hum of electricity in the wires behind walls. Sometimes Everything gets mixed in I hear so much... its like an overload. Anyone else have similar issues?

73 replies. Join the discussion

Yeah.
My sense of smell is extremely strong. Everything you mentioned gets me sick too.
My hearing is weird. I hear things that other people don't. I hear high pitch noises and beeps and whistles that others don't. Certain noise hurt my ears like poking my eardrums with an ice pick.

The more I see that I'm not crazy, I feel alot better.

i too seem sensative to smell; dirty diapers (as a teachers aid I one time had to "clean a pair of sneakers- the boy stepped in dog doo; stomach wreched as i cleaned (custodian was unavailable). Even at a wedding last night I was gonna try some wine (don't worry- Im 28!) and THAT didn't smell good.
hearing is weird. I hear things that other people don't- I an be accross the yard & hear phone ringing in house.... May be due to my limited vision.
Some say I am just a picky eater- but there is so much I don't eat I wonder if it's sensativity. Just the way things taste...

I can smell things about 10 min before anyone else. Fortunately the good and the bad, on top of having a sense of smell like a bloodhound it seems to burn into my nose and stays for ages....sort of long memory. While thats not so bad for the nicer smells it the bad ones that drive me crazy.

Is this the first time you all have heard about other ppl with NF having hypersensitivity? Noone ever told me these things and you all are the firs people I've been able to REALLY talk about this with. Thanks again for all the replies.

my hearing is strong almost to the point its overwhelming depending on the situation"s im in

I feel like I've opened a box of answers for soo many questions I've had and so many I didnt know I should be asking.

I feel like I've opened a box of answers for soo many questions I've had and so many I didnt know I should be asking.

yeah I smell alot more then other ppl. I get ringing in my ears bad. my teeth are also very sensitive, I cant eat or drink anything hot or cold it has to be room temp.My skin is sensitive too. I break out with everything.

Sometimes the back of my left leg gets really sensitive, if the fabric touches it, it feels like im being cut with a fingernail or somthing.

I think these hypersensitivities are common to anyone with any neurological problems. I was just wondering today about my son, who has Nf1, because he seems to want the TV loud all the time, even though his hearing is fine. I said to myself, maybe he hears more than other people, which is distracting. Now I think it's really possible, having seen this discussion. Especially because I used to have a friend who had a brain injury which caused constant ringing in his ears and he could actually hear negative decibels compared to most people.

sense of hearing is very strong. Hate the sound of motorcycles, Can pick up the sound of a siren before I see the ambulance or police car,

wow...I had never thought to make a connection between NF and a strong sense of smell and good hearing. Yes, my sense of smell is pretty good and often I'll react to putrid odors in a way that seems to some people "extreme". Also, I've had people tell me I have good hearing because I can hear whispered conversations....didn't think it was related to NF though...interesting.

SEE !!! Thats what I'm talkin about !!! Aside from this site, I have never heard a doctor mention heightened senses as a symptom of NF. We need to get our docs to check out this site so they have a wider variety of views and experiences on NF and its symptoms.

Hearing and smell for me, too! Although sometimes I have selective hearing (ha ha). Like you, I never thought to ask if other NFers had the same "super ability", but my eyesight sucks!

yes again you are not alone,,, what about vibrations with the noise, or flashes of light??

I have seen flashes of light or RARELY had partial blindness that was like a flashing kinda.

Oh, for sensitive hearing and taste - I am a bit short in both departments.

Can I ask if this is constant or does the heightened sensitivity in taste, hearing and smell come and go?

I have sensitive smell some days and think I will probably get a migraine next day but often it doesn't happen. Good, but weird.

Another question - does anyone get goosebumps for no reason and shivers when the temperature drops 1 degree?

My sense of hearing and smell has always been very strong. Smel has gone through the roof over the last few years. I'm also very sensitive to temp.

I seem to have a pretty good nose too. Also there are certain types of music that drive me to utter frustration. Hard rock is the main culprit.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders