Red moles

Have numerous red moles on body in addition to bumps. Does anyone with NF1 or NF2 have this
same thing?

21 replies. Join the discussion

Sounds like cherry angiomas, also called Campbell de Morgan spots and they appear to be commonly found on NFers though they are not uncommon in the general population.

Quote:"Naevus anaemicus and benign cherry angiomas (Campbell de Morgan spots) are observed more frequently in NF1 than in the general population. "

Also in the general non NF population they are more likely to occur after the age of 40. I suspect though that they run in families...my mom has lots and my daughter has had one since young, neither of them have signs of NF. My daughter who is suspected of having NF doesn't have any.

Cindy

Than you CindyLouWho, that was helpful I ahve always wondered what they were.
Thank you Girl A for asking I never thought thought about asking that.

Not sure what they're called - although I'll trust CindyLouWho's research on it.
When I asked my dermatologist (who doesn't have NF) about them he said they're nothing to worry about and I'll just get more of them as I get older and proceeded to show me a bunch that he has.

I always wondered about those. I have lots. I usually burn them off with a cigarette. Tried cutting one off my face... that was a mistake. I've never seen soo much blood in one place. I was starting to get dizzy it bled so much. Now I just let my sideburns grow over the one on my face. I thought they might be NF related but was never sure. I have WAY more of those than any CAL or bumps. Getting more all the time. Neato.

Ouch. Question for Spork: When you burn them off with a cigarette, what is the result? Does the skin heal , or do the red moles return?

I have a few of those on my stomach and upper back. Although I never tried to burn them or cut them. But id love to know what happen after guilty spork burn them??

most of them went away after burning them. The one on my face came back after both cutting and burning though. Its a lil smaller and lighter now but still there. Good results with the others tho. I dont recomend putting cigarettes out on yourself though.

OUCHIE Spork!

I have several of them. I had one in the front area of my neck and my dermatologist, who has done a lot of researach in NF, removed it for me. No problem. She just coded it as NF possible neuroma. Mine don't get large. Fine a good dermaologist who knows how to code it so your insurance carrier will pay for it. Good Luck!

I have tons of them. I have a couple on my leg and i shaved it off by mistake and it bleed for hours. It was not fun.

i dont have any
but my mom has a few
ive actually tried cuttting off some of the small tumors i have
the real tiny one that look like nerds candy lol
idk what their called
thought about burning them with a cigarette before
but doesnt sound like a good idea for the tumors
the little moles yeah. done that lol

As I said, I tried cutting the one off my face. I dont think I've ever seen that much blood in one place before, and I've seen somone get stabbed three times with a boot knife. The mole is a little bigger than a nerd candy, but WOW... it bled for three hours... just a steady stream of blood running out. Enough that I thought I might hafta go to the hospital. The moral of the story: Dont cut things off yourself. If it looks like a little growth full of all sorts of bloody goodness... it is.

Everyone gets these with age. My grandmother had lots of them as she aged. She did not have NF. If you take them off they come back. Most people have them and as they age they get more.

My back is covered in the bumps

I have some on my legs. I have the same results as Gigglebox, my bleed for a long time as well.

I have them too on my back and legs. I have had a dermatologist burn them off before. They didn't bleed that way.

Have a few myself. Never realized that they might be NF related. Spork, ever tried freeze away treatment like compound w for warts? might be just as bad.

Yea like skin tags. My mom doesn’t have NF but she used to get skin tags and has some moles. I get skin tags but most of the time they dry up and fall off. Thankfully.

I have them mainly on my stomach

As far as skin tags go, I have hears that if you "paint" the skin tags with Sally Hansen "Nails so hard" after a time they will dry up and fall off. My tags are on my neck & visable. I got more looks from the hot pink and metalic purple polish, that I didn't keep up. Also heard the same remedy in Dr. Gott's newspaper collumn. My local drug store doesn't carry a clear polish. I wouldn't think brand names would matter as long as formula is same. One thing is be sure that skin is unbroken. Anybody heard this, tried it and/or had any luck?? Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders