Numbness in my leg from a tumor.

I have a couple of tumors none of them really effect me, except 1. i have a giant cafe au lait spot that runs from my mid calf of my right leg up to like mid thigh and it wraps around my leg. About 3 inches under my knee there is a slightly big its not huge tumor and about 3 inches arund the tumor is all numb... But the tumor itself is sensitive it hurts if its bumped. Does any1 else have any numbness around there tumors? What does this mean?

7 replies. Join the discussion

I have heard of people having numbness around their tumors. It could possibly just be the nerve that its sitting on thats causing the numbness. Do you have a NF doctor in your area? Perhaps you could ask for a MRI so that they could tell why its causing numbness.

Good luck and hugs .

From my understanding, there should be no pain around the tumors. If there is, your Neurologist should be thinking of removing the tumor.

My right leg gets a numb feeling from mid buttock down to the foot ... if I sleep on my right side.

My Neurologist does a test called "NCV", which is a nerve conduction test. Basically, the tech sends electric shocks from a select point on my arm or leg .. and measures the time it takes for the shick to effect the nerve in the hand/foot.

We all need to remember that the MRIs cost insurance a lot of money, therefore it may be difficult to approve in some cases. Get involved ... question your Neurologist on what they are thinking, what they have planned, and how they are planning to help you or your children.

Ask your Neurologist why they have not done an MRI, if you are experiencing pain.
Mike

It might be a good idea to have it checked in case it is pressing against a vein. If the flow of blood is not going right, it may cause numbness.

I had basically the same thing happen to me. It was very painful to sit and it was very big. Not so much the numb part but if i was you i would talk to my doctor then maybe get an MRI i did and got mine removed. Recovery wasn't to bad but I was in the hospital for like 2days. Mine was on my sciatic nerve and that's why mine had hurt. Hope all goes well for you! =)

What have you found out about it? Was it what u thought it was??

What have you found out about it? Was it what u thought it was??

Hi Jess89,
I too had tumors on my ankle and knee after 30 years plus I finally got a doctor to care enough to refer me to a doctor to have them removed! My son lost his leg in '07 to a tumor because doctors told me was not there. They did not to any type of scans to prove their hypothesis. They told me I was making up my son's pain and I was brain washing my son into thinking it hurt. No I do not have an NF doctor in my area! I used to go to Seattle all the time just to hear the doctor tell me "I won't help you!" http://www.theuniversityhospital.com/healthlink/archives/articles/neurofibr omatosis.htm
Have it removed to keep the pain away. You don't need the pain. Here is a link to describe why youre having that pain. Some days the tumors that I still have hurts like all else and then on some days they don't hurt quit as bad.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000847.htm
There is also an NF chat room that you can go into to get moral support. Very lovely people. And the room is addicting. http://www.ctf.org/chat/ Keep on trying if you can't get in the first time. Hugs, Coco
Hugs, Coco

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders