NF1 Depression and Anxiety can I get SSI

I was disnosed with NF1 at birth, when i was about 2 - 4 years of age ( i remember the surgury but not the age) i had a growth removed from my back. other wise id be a hunchback. I have always had Anxiety as far as i can remember, the depression has started more recently after 2 miscarriages. I also have severe migraines lasting days sometimes. Im in the process of applying for ssi but not sure if i can quallify.

my son gets benifits because he is developmentaly delayed, im not sure if they had NF on his paperwork. hes kept it all this time because he has a host of other problems, including a optic nerve glioma, and precosius puberty.

21 replies. Join the discussion

Good luck with social security. I've tried three times=
and have been denied even though I have serious health problems. I am now going to try a lawyer to get the social security. Am hoping that works. Can't hurt to try.

I have already contacted a lawyer just waiting for a call back, i think what state you are in depends on how fast you get it. My mother got it fast too, i think she mainly got hers for depression along with anxiety, she graduated college but couldnt get a job because she was diagnosed with a brain turmor shortly after. She was given 6 mths to live ( i guess thats just a number they throw out there ) well its been 14 years and shes still alive, she cant do much on her own and has been in a long term care facility the whole time.

Usually lawyers have more chance to get it for you than you yourself do, ive been denied once but didnt put the NF on it. all of my drs know about my NF and how serious it is, I got yelled at when i was pregnant by them. due to 1) chance to pass it to your child 2) it makes your condition worse.

yes u can u just got 2 b patient. i been at it 4 3 yrs n finally got it. i also now m waiting on back pay that help. i should b receiving my lump some within the next 30 days. i was diagnosis with anxiety depression n of course nf. it been a hard struggle trying 2 get it even when i was working part time but itll pay out in the end.

i was reading the rest ot what ur wrote n my daughter get ssi n has add adhd n optic gloma whatever that is how crazy is that. but like i said keep trying ull get it but get a lawyer

yea i contacted one of the SSI lawyers that wont take money till they win your case.

dunno..........im an amuptee, never really wanted to go the route of disability.......rather work and make my own way.......painfull? yes at times very painfull, cuz i work in a very very busy kitchen and am on my feet all day long....but i keep on truckin. besides theres no way id be able to make my mortgage&pay bills&have "fun" money if i had to depend on what the government gives ya
good luck to you tho

I am not proud of this but, I got SSDI based on mental illness only--- meaning major depression. I didn't know I NF at the time. I had several admissions to the hospital and my doctor filled the form out for me. I got it in six months. I can't even concentrate because of the depression. I'm not bregging but, if you want to get disability based on depression you will have to have medical records showing you've spent sometime in a hospital for depression. It has to be severe. Your lawyer will get 1/3 of your winnings. Since my doctor filled the forms out so well, I got all the money-- well by ex got all the money he was home when it came and he took it all from me. good luck

i am trying to get on disability too. my parents are helping me somewhat. i amat the adminstrative hearing stage which i been told which take place some time next year prob in march. i have nf, depression, cancer (in remission) etc. since 2000 i have not been able to hold a job for more then a year at a time. i have had over 12 jobs most lasted a few months , two lasted 9 and 11 months respectively. the one that is 9 months is seasonal i may or may not get hired back. i have to wait and see. i been told i can work part time but not make over 965.00 a month. i havent made that kind fo money in years.
also just applied and was approved for unemployment. sigh.... prob lose food stamps now.
why do they have to make the system so complicated?

Allsup represented me. They really know there stuff.
Allsup
New Disability Claims
(800) 279-4357
Social Security Disability Representation ~ Medicare Advisor
click here for a
Free SSDI Evaluation

http://www.allsup.com/default.aspx

I am in the process of applying for SSI/SSD due to NF as well. I was diagnosed at the age of 3 and i only have a learning disability because of it but its extremely hard for me to find a job without employers looking at my hands or arms and seeing the fibromia's and telling me that the job has already been filled. I have depression because of the NF.
I am also pregnant with our first child due in sept. I know that the minute that he is diagnosed with NF, I will be getting him onto SSI. I am not going to wait to do it. I will have him tested when he is born.

Im lucky to only have freckles, but alot of them. i have a few fibroma's but clothes cover most of them, but i have some of the other noticeacle things, such as the sunk in eyes, which really bothers me at times. I have had a few jobs but dont stay long because i suffer from the migraines and anxiety. I knew my son had it the min he was born because he was born with a few Large café au lait spots, my daughters dont have any large ones but it seems as if a few small ones are apearing. ill be taking them to the dr as soon as i have transportation.

I have alot of fibromia's on my hands and arms. It has gotten to the point where employers don't even bother to take my application anymore for work because they are too worried about what the public will say. They never ask questions about my medical condition or anything like that either.

If i where you, i would get them for discrimination and not following the EEO rules and regulations.

Unfortunately it would be impossible to do that

hello i have ssi it took me 4 years and lawyer had to go beore a ssi judge and when he trun me down i went to the federal court and won also conact your local congessman and sentor they can help alot with letters

jason can u explain more about contacting congressman and senators and having them write letters? be specific what did u ask yours and what did they write? what state are u in?

The thing is though that i am 8 months pregnant. I can't travel to court or anything like that. I just don't want to set myself up for an upset. I am just aggreviated. I can't seem to find a job, even before i became pregnant. Prespective employers would just take the application and just put it aside and not do anything about it, when i would come back to talk to them or even call them. they would say that the position was filled. Even though there was still a help wanted sign outside of the business.

Does it cost anything to get a lawyer to fight for SSI.

No it doesnt cost anything upfront, most lawyers that deal with SSI will help then if you are approved they take a % of the top anywhere from 20-30% from what ive read.

And Them not hireing you due to a diabilty is just as bad as not hireing you because you are from a certain ethnic background.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Rehabilitation Act of 1973

These laws prohibit discrimination against qualified people with disabilities who are able to perform the essential functions of the job. The law also requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to assist individuals in performing their jobs unless the agency can demonstrate that the accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operation of its program. Read the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other ADA regulations and technical assistance materials.

I will definately keep that in mind. I just don't want to go through the process, just to be told that i can work. I also don't want to have to be examined by the SSI doctors.

I applied a few years back due to back aches, i didnt include the NF or my migraines as they where not as bad, i had a job lined up at walmart but couldnt take it do to child care arrangement, i wont allow my kids in daycares out of fear of them being handled inproperly, and my boyfriend was working 12 hour shifts. When we moved to texas from nevada i worked for wal-mart as a cashier for all of 1 week before i quit because of the migraines, the lights + fumes from the nail shop = migraine central.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders