NF1 and Birth Control Pills

I have heard that birth control pills are a bad idea to consider if you have NF1. I'm wondering if anything has gone on them and how your body reacted.

21 replies. Join the discussion

I got pregnant while on birth control pills.

otherwise I had no problems while on the pill.

I got pregnant while using the Depo shot and pregnant again with a Mirena IUD.....But had no trouble with taking birth control pills....

I've had no issues with the pill
I took ortho cyclen

I am on birth control for seizures but now they think its a bad idea bc birth control pills could be bad for NF paients bc the pills could cause more NF bumps. The doctor did not say that but he said you should not take any extra pills if not needed. They do know when u start puberty w NF you can get more NF bumps and when ur pregent.

No one knows for sure how your body will react. It may speed up the growth of tumors or it may not. Those hormones can do weird things to a body.

the only reason my dr. suggested it was because i'm slightly irregular and my hormones are a bit out of whack as you might say, and she said that birth control pills will help.

i was on the pill for years. had no effects on me. it depends what kind of pill you go on. i guess ones with a higher hormone content would probably increase neuroma growth.

if you have any worries, just speak to your doctor about your concerns

Birth control pills can cause increased tumor growth. I personally choose not to take the chance. There are alternatives such as the Mirena IUD. Mirena uses hormones but the hormones do not go throughout your entire blood system, only into your uterus.

Had zero problems apparently it's a lower hormone dose than your body would experience during pregnancy wich might, might increase symptoms. Also might not.

has anyone with nf1 under 45-50yrs gone thourght the change (menipease) i am only 24 and am going thourght it.

yeah i started a few years after puberty hit.

I had my parts taken out when I was 39.

Hi
I took the pill on and off through my 20's and feel it probably increased the size and number of lumps I had. I found my first Internal lump at 19 and by 30 I had 5 ops to remove 6 lumps all internal. If I had been more informed I would not have taken the pill and I won't take it again.
Good luck!

no problems for me that other people without nf1 havent had.

The pill caused me to develop fibromas and right now I'm pregnant and I've only found 2 new ones. A perinatologist I met with was surprised that the pill caused me to develop more fibromas than pregnancy since your hormones are more crazy with pregnancy. So go figure! :p I'm hoping to go on the pill after I give birth. I've read I can only take a progesterone-only/mini pill? since I'm planning to breastfeed. I think my last pill had estrogen too so maybe that's why?

I have NF1 and never even herd such things. I have never had a problem with birth control--except when i was taking bc and anti depressants..lol anyway. Im now on nuvaring and i STILL dont have problems.

yes i was on birth control pills to help with ho t flashes then they discovered ihad a very mild stroke and immideiatly took me off the birth control. the pill did make some of my tumors grow because of the hormones you just have to be careful and watch if you see a increase in tumor size suddenlyi would be concered.

i think I got more bumps with BC pill- but who knows if i would have got them if i had not been on pill- anyways I have IUD now and no issues

I took the depo shot once, and I never got it again because it caused me to be so overwhelmingly tired, painful, moody, hungry, puffy and otherwise miserable that I could barely function. It was like PMS x 1000 for 4 solid months. I'm not exaggerating at all. I reacted so badly to it that it scared me out of trying the pill or any other hormone based birth control. I got it trying to be all ready for getting married 2 summers ago, and I was trying to lose weight and get fit; I went from working out 5 days a week to crying at the thought of having to go to the gym and falling asleep on the 30 minute drive home from work. (someone else was driving!)

My husband is getting a snip this summer, and in the mean time foam has worked well for us. Just a note, foam is the least reliable contraception, mostly because it is hard for most couples to use consistently. We have used it perfectly for the last 18 months and it has done its job. ;)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders