neurofibromatosis and depression

Wondering if any one else has depression, that has neurofibromatosis..

28 replies. Join the discussion

I was treated for depression a few years ago. I was a little ticked at the doctor. She said to me "It's normal for someone to be depressed when they are deformed like you are".

WHAT?!?! For 1 the only "deforming" thing I have are a few bumps and pseudoarthrosis of my right tibia that caused me to have a corrective brace for 14 years. And 2...that was just plain rude and could have been put a bit kinder.

So yes, I have both depression and neurofibromatosis but I don't think they can correlate the 2 since depression is a fairly common thing.
Good luck to you..

thanks.. i take meds for depression, but i think also it helps to talk to others who have nf 1 or nf 2

I stopped taking the meds...I was on Prozac and didn't like the way it made me feel...I am doing better though...exercising helps me alot, and I also keep myself busy, working working working! Lol.
I agree it helps to talk with others that have NF. We all have so many different experiences and issues, but we can all relate to eachother and we all know we are not in the battle alone. So many people on here are so supportive... :)

I have had bouts of depression throughout my life and I have never really attributed it to NF. I did have very severe post-partum depression.

I have NF and also have had depression in the past along with panic attacks and anxiety.
I havent had a panic attack in over 6 yrs, but I still get bouts of anxiety from time to time.
I am on prozac and I do find that it does help me function.
I dont think the are related, all though now that my NF is a bit worse than before I do get depressed and get anxiety as well.

thanks for the info.

thanks for the info.

Yes I have been depressed since I was about 12 years old but that was when my parents got a divorce, I have been depressed ever since but never was treated for it properly. I have tryed to commit suisde twice. I dont think it all has to do with NF. Some of it yes, expecially ever since all the tumors showed up on the outside. I have always had tumors on the inside that didnt bother me. I think depression is so known so widely that NF just adds to it , NF dosent make us have depression. There are so many ppl on here that have NF and live very happy lives everyday. All we can do is keep our heads up.

I have NF1. Also have had depression=Panic attacks=anxiety a long time.

Terrible, debilitating depression. To be honest, my psych diagnosis is several pages long. Lately thought, the depression is beating me down. I hardly ever leave the house. Ive lost all interest in even the things I used to care about. I know it sounds crazy, but at this point I dont care enough to bother trying to kill myself. Antidepressants only make me feel worse,. I see a shrink, but county mental health is soo backed up, im lucky if I get in more than once a month. Somthing has to give.

Think that you are all right.. But to me, having nf and not being able to do things that i want to do.. At times, it gets to me.. I know that everyone has there reasons for being depressed. But with NF there is not cure for it, and knowing that makes does not help.. I am sorry if I am making everyone feel down about this.. At times, it does help to talk about it..

I have NF and I have been dealing with depression since I was in the 5th grade. I didn't even know I had NF until I was in my 30's.. so in away the depression came first. However; 60% of the people who have NF will suffer from depression. So, it can have something to do with NF. I also take medication and I dare not stop it.

Also, have dealt with clinical depression and take generic Prozac. But also have had a history of being abused as a child. My faith has helped me deal with the abuse and come to a resolution with my past. But it was the medicine that enabled me to process the info and put it to rest.

That said, I do not know if NF somehow affects the uptake in the serotonin levels that lead to depression. Given the propensity of depression in NF patients I would assume that depression is a physical side effect of the disorder.

I've been on & off since I was 21 (now 28). Had a terrible bout this summer; Mom was so concerned she took me home to be with her from late July to late August. Saw a psychologist- she upped my cymbalta that my neurologist suggested last year. She told me that shehad done research and lots of people with NF had depression... I don't blame it in NF.
I have always been hesitent to see anyone- never really felt comfortable when I saw someone in college. I called it off with the psychologist- telling her I really wasnt getting much from her. I'd keep her in mind if I had a big episoide like I did earlier.
I still have moments- although the Cymbalta increase seemed to help. Have a lot of anxiety at times...

Ive been on Prozac now for about 17 years
I suffer from OCD
Sure is a battle
Thank god for my wife and son

My son does not have NF........We stopped at one child
We were told not to have children....... thank god he is free from NF!

My OCD came before i knew about NF also

Was unaware of NF until i was 19

My first OCD drama came when i was 16

I have also noticed that my pain meds help with depression more than any psych meds I've ever taken. Shrinks like to treat for saratonin deficencies but if its a dopamine deficiency causing your depression then SSRIs aren't gonna do the job. There are docs trying to get opiates to be a more widespread treatment for depression. What it comes down to tho is that perscription drugs are the new "dirty" drug. Even if you need it, the stigma attatched to opiates make docs reluctant to prescribe them. Add to that the fact that most doctors know less than nothing about NF and we find ourselves in a mess of pain and depression with noone to help us... wich just makes it worse. Its a viscious circle.

I was never offically diagnoced but i did have some form of depression

yes

NF and depression like PB&J

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders