Knee Problems

It's me again. I just love this site. Anyway my right knee is severely deformed because of my NF and scoliosis. I have been to doctors and they say I'm to young for knee replacement surgery. (41 yrs old) I also have sever arthritis in said knee. I need some advise on what to do. My knee pops if I stand for long periods of time or even if I walk a short distance. It's worse in cold weather. I don't know what else to do.

7 replies. Join the discussion

I don't know who they are but I just had my knee replaced in december and I am 36. I have had problems withit for 19 years and it was deformed too. I think you might want a second opinion. It took me 19 years to get it replaced because many of the doctors were afraid to operate on me because of the nf. but don't give up! keep trying I know how painful it can be my knee was bone on bone it had gotten so bad and I had dislocated it over 10 times. please don't let them discourage you. you shouldn't have to suffer. good luck and god bless you.

by the way I see you are from Illinoise I am from indiana I had my knee done in mooresville indiana at st Francis Hospital by doctor medding. If you want more info on it you can send me a facebook message my name is veda vester.

MAMA-VEE ... How did your surgery go? I am scheduled for a total knee replacement this Wednesday. You and "thepyeman" are much younger than me. I have NF1 and am 66. I have osteoarthritis and it become so severe it must be done. I hope you
"thepyeman" can get the help you need. MAMA-VEE anything you can tell me about what to expect with this surgery would be appreciated. Good luck to both of you. I'll be out of touch for awhile ...

It's going pretty good. I am going back this thursday for another checkup. I would say to definetly expect quite a bit of soreness after. my knee feels so much better though! If your doctor is anything like mine(he was really good) you will probably wake up with a pain block pump in the leg you're having operated on(up near your thigh is where it will probably be placed) and either an I.V with meds in it or pills given every few hours. I was gotten up to walk the day after surgery.(with help of course) They will not let you walk by yourself for the time your there(I was in the hospital for 4 days) they will probably show you the right way to walk with the walker and how to get up and down stairs with one.(but they advise against using stairs too much) using ice packs on your leg will be something they will do every few hours at 15-20 minute intervals.and they will want you to continue this when you go home. expect swelling for a long time I still have some myself. You may need to do physical therapy with a therapist I am (if you do well they will let you do these exercises at home possibly) and expect to have to walk real slow! (this has been hard for me cause I am use to moving around like speedy gonzales! I have to so I can keep up with my 2 daughters LOL) it will be slow going but my leg feels so much better! I hope I have answered some of your questions at least. If you think of any other questions you can post here again or if you would rather you can send me a message on facebook if you would like or even an e-mail at veda74vester@aol.com Good luck on Wednesday!

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I was told I also would be in the hospital for 4 days, but instead of going home
I will be going to a rehab for one week. I am also going to have the nerve block. I like your optimistic attitude, it helps to hear that. I would probably contact you here or e-mail....because I am still getting used to facebook. Wish you continued success
on your recovery. My e-mail is LMAH3SONS@AOL.COM

you're very welcome. I just got home from physical therapy(I have it 3 times a week) I would probably have been in rehab center if it wasn't for my husband being here to help and the fact that I've been through therapy a few times before my surgery(I dislocated my knee about 10 times so it was old hat for me) And thank you,I think an optimistic out look is very important. negativity only gets you more negativity and my mama has always told me you have a choice each morning,you can either let everything get you down and have a bad attitude or you can choose to put a smile on your face hold your head up high and face lifes difficulties head on ! I have my bad days of course(we all do) but I have learned for the most part a positive out look gets me through the day faster and with less problems,pain,or drama then a bad attitude ever could. God bless and have a great day!

Thanks again for your great advice. Probably going to rehab because of my age. My husband will be there for me later, but I'm
better off in rehab. I will keep your thoughts with me in the coming weeks. You Mom is one smart lady. Thanks again. Talk to you again in a few weeks.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders