how often should u get a mri

how often should someone get a mri if the
are considered a mild case.

13 replies. Join the discussion

Not too sure of the answer! I have a mild case only have the cals and one and a few bumps one! I hace one every 2-3 years! Getting results of one on friday of the head and im dreading it! few small bumps o the scalp and they are freaking e out! Might suggest a full body one just to be sure!!!!

i used to get them every year for awhile.... then my doc said i didn't have to go thru that every year and suggested every 2-3 years. this past year though i had some complications with numbess and have found out thru a MRI that there is new growth in my spine, brainsteam, and head.... i now have been going every 6 months....
i would go with whatever you feel most comfortable about. it's your body and you want to keep on top of it. just see how it goes.

thanks i. guess i will skedule a mri thank u for your help.

MRI are not necessary just because you have NF. A baseline MRI is probably a good idea, but yearly MRI's are not necessary unless there is a issue that requires follow up (monitoring a tumor growth)
If there are any changes in vision, severe headaches, loss of motor skills/functions....those type of things would prompt an MRI....
I get yearly MRIs to monitor a brain tumor.....Rachel gets them every 6 months to monitor a tumor.....but routine MRIs "just because" are not done with NFers.

Our geneticist said that many doctors aren't doing MRIs for NF unless there are complaints (vision, headaches, etc). However, she said that she personally suggests everyone get a baseline one done so that in the future, should something occur, such as migraines, they'll have something to compare. IF there is something suspicious in the MRI, then to go every 6-12 months depending on the tumor/location. She did say to go yearly to the opthamologist though.

I recently asked the same question to my doctor. She told me that unless there is an issue that comes along it is not needed. I do think a baseline MRI would be good though to monitor for changes in the future should something arise.

OMG so u have had facial numbness and you doctor determined that was caused by a new growth?

My son´s Drs told us we must go to MRI once a year, is good to prevent any problem when is small

As far as I can see from the posts here, people are responding to two totally different subjects.....MRIs in children and MRIs in adults. While the use of MRIs is debatable even amongst children, Dr's are more inclined to recommend regular MRIs in the pediatric population because this is when the risk of gliomas occurs. Children are also less able to report physical symptoms or vision changes. MRI use and frequency of use depends on the Doctor and the individual case. It can be a fine line between risking missing something and exposing the child to unnecessary tests. While MRIs fortunately do not expose children to radiation some risks are unknown....recent studies suggest anesethia exposure in very young children has been linked to brain changes and learning disabilities and behaviour problems. Obviously its a matter of weighing the pros and cons. For older patients Swatlilwamom is correct, routine or annual MRIs are generally unnecessary unless they are monitoring a bothersome tumor or suspicious plexiform. IMHO.

Cindy

Our ped. geneticist said only to get a baseline MRI for Clara and that unless something is amiss, she wouldn't need another for several years. I'm guessing they my daughter's regular pediatrician will suggest yearly though, since she seems a bit more proactive.

This is a question for your Neurologist. I have an extremely severe case of Schwannomatosis, and I only get a new MRI when a new symptom or a new issue becomes apparent.
That said, I would say that on average, I have had a set of MRIs every 2 - 2 1/2 years.

i myself was told ever year and a half...but its differnt for all of us.

My daughter has a very mild case, One plexiform neurofibroma and no cafe au lait spots or any other neurofibromas that we know of, her doctor recommends one every yr just to kep tabs on the one that she does have. Just a thought.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders