Swelling...one leg more than the other

Hi! My left leg always swells quite a bit more than my right one. Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea why?

13 replies. Join the discussion

Yes, I have a similiar problem. My right leg swells more than the left. I don't know why though.

My left leg too...still don't have an answer. I see my neph soon; I'll ask.
Curious isn't it?

I have the same problem. This is a bad thing for some. While serving in the Marines, I snapped my left knee cap and now it has osteoarthritis. 4 years ago I got a massive blood clot from my chest to my left big toe. That was treated in the Hospital for 6 days. I was on Warfarin at 12 mg for 6 months afterward. Mine is tolod to me that I have had too many injuries and its causing a problem with my leg. This is something for you to think about. If you have FSGS like I do, make dang sure that it you are going to have any surgery what so ever, get on blood thinners as soon as posible. It will save your life in the long run. I have had 4 blood clots, two from AV fistulas. I read one mans message here and he lost a kidney in 24 hours from a clot. Keep this in mind when you get ready for surgery. Let your Neph know htis so you can have your Homocysteine's checked first. If its out of wack with you lipids, you will get a clot. They you will have to do Peritoneal dialysis because you cannot do Hemo. I have not seen anyone saying anything about blood thinners on this website. I hope this helps.

Hi. my neph said that my son would be more prone to blood clots. The hemotologist ran some tests and he actually has a blood clotting mutation as well. See if you can make an appointment with a hemo, just to rule it out. Good luck.

I have the same problem. Sometimes it's my left, but it's usually my right leg. I don't have any answer. I would definately encourage you to seek out medical attention if there's pain and redness. We're prone to throwing blood clots, so keep an eye on it.

The reason that the right leg swells more than the left is because the right femerol artery is connected to the liver which tends to back up the blood going into it due to the high blood pressure. That's why it's so important via the ACE and ARB inhibitors to lower your blood pressure. Hope this helps?

For me it's usually the left leg too but this whole thing started with my right leg swelling up.

same for me, mine is my left too. though I sit at a desk at work and usually have my right foot curled up under me, so I think that is why.

If the difference is dramatic or gets worse, get checked for a clot. Also remember gravity plays a part. If you always sleep on one side, in the morning there may be more swelling on the side you slept on. When I changed to a job where I sit most of the day, the edema kind of moved to my midsection and the ankle swelling almost disappeared!

My left ankle started swelling first and it swelled for several days before I noticed the swelling in the right foot. My daughter who is a biology major and seems to know alot, told me when I stopped swelling, the left foot would be the last place to get back to normal and she was right. I haven't swelled since July, 2007, but I was gaining about 9 lbs a week up until then. My whole body swelled and I could hardly walk my legs were so big. My hands, face and stomach also swelled there at the end and I had trouble breathing.
Sure hope that never happens again.

I have exactly the same problem. It didn't start until I started taking all the drugs for the FSGS. After doing a full body scan to check for blood clots (didn't have any - thank the STARS) the neph informed me that the blood vessels in my left leg were smaller than the vessels in my right leg and it was hindering circulation, but no clots. So, he put me on a low-dosage of Furosemide. It's working WONDERFULLY!

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I have had scans done on both of my legs 3 or 4 times and no clots...thank goodness! None of my Doctors seem to know why it happens, so it is nice to know I am not the only one.

My Neph really didn't want to put me on Furosemide, but the swelling got so bad he finally did and it has really helped.

My right ankle and leg swells more than my left ankle and leg. I have been sleeping on my right side since my 2 work injuries.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders