Passing out?

Okay, I passed out again last night in the middle of dinner. This is the second time it has happened. Nobody can figure out what is going on. This scares me after reading the post about strokes. They did tests both times and cleared me of a stroke or heart attack. The doctor sent me to a cardiologist, and I will go on a heart monitor for a month or so. They can't figure out what happens, because by the time I get there I am awake again and no symptoms. It happens so fast. I feel dizzy, then all the sudden pass out. This time I knew what was about to happen, as it just happened a few weeks ago. Luckily I was with my sister and I just grabbed her really hard.... she knew. I am scared, as I don't know what happened or what is wrong. Any one else having these symptoms?

Allison

29 replies. Join the discussion

Hello there,

I am new on the forums and will post a proper introductory post later, but I wanted to reply to you here, as I have had a similar experience, during my vegetarian phase a few years ago.
I was diagnosed with FSGS in 1993 and over the course of the progression of my illness, have tried various different suggestions and diets, etc to see if I could delay the ESRD... One of those suggestions was to try the macrobiotic diet and so I became a strict vegetarian. I tried it for 1.5 years. During that 1.5 year period, I became prone to blacking out without warning. Once, I had a seizure in the movie theater that scared everyone in the room.
Eventually, after a year and a half, I abandoned the vegetarian diet and started to eat meat, eggs & cheese again. The blackouts stopped completely then.
My nutritionist believes that my blackouts were related to some deficiency in my diet, she suggested it might have been an iron deficiency.
I hope that something there rings a bell for you, and I hope that you start to feel better soon,
Cheers!
maaxiim

They think it may be potassium, but they just really don't know. It scares me as I watch young children during the day. I am afraid I will be alone and there will be nobody there to help. I am not a vegetarian, so no connection there, but if they thought it was iron, and they think mine may be potassium, that could be a deficiency link?? I don't know at this point. Heart problems are huge in my family, with my grandfather having 6 heart attacks, transplant, you name it. I like to think I a like him as he is still alive..... 17 years and was given 12! Thanks for the reply. I just don't know any more and am very scared.

Maaxiim

Looks like we are the only ones.... I am going to the cardiologist today. hope that helps me not be so scared.

Allison

I have had some blacking outs, went to the ER and they told me(or so to think) I was crazy. I didn't know what kind of kidney disease I had at that point. They checked me for heart problems NOPE!, they also took blood that proved their point(of no bad kidneys). I never found out what mine was, and at times I still feel like everything turns black and I everyone seems sooo far away.

Have they checked your blood pressure? Are you on meds for high blood pressure but don't have hight blood pressure? If your blood pressure is dropping too low, it could cause you to become dizzy and pass out as well. Might be worth it to get a blood pressure cuff and take your pressure if you start feeling dizzy again. I've blacked out while driving because of it and it scared me half to death. My meds have since been lowered and I'm doing much better now. And the doctors never mentioned anything about my blood pressure causing my dizziness until I came in with a list of readings that I took myself during the days when I wasn't feeling well. I was sent to a cardiologist as well, but they found nothing. Good luck!

I start to black out occasionally. If you do feel a black out coming on, get your head below your heart. Like someone else suggests, keep an eye on your blood pressure. Even if your blood pressure is OK, Blood pressure meds can cause you to black out. If you are taking any, the doctor can try something different.

Also, you could be anemic. The whole kidney thing can cause some anemia. It is typical for kidney patients to get vitamin B shots.

I fainted a few months ago at work and was brought to the ER and admitted. They found me to have low potassium, low BP and my sugar was over 500. At that point I was taking 80mg. of prednisone every day. For a while I felt like passing out every time I stood up for about a week after that. My dr. lowered my prednisone and put me on insulin. Since then I have not had another episode. Try not to be too scared; I am sure your doctor will get to the bottom of why this is happening. Just make sue that when you feel it coming on you are somewhere safe where you will not fall and get hurt. You dont need that on top of kidney problems! Good luck!

That is part of the problem. It comes on so fast. I will be sitting there just fine and then I get a heavy dizzy feeling. Then I pass out within 30 seconds of feeling it coming. I pass out my body goes pale, break out in sweats and am cold to the touch. Then I wake up and my arms and legs go numb. So, I am not sure. It just scares the crap out of me. The first time I didn't know what was happening, the second time..... I knew what the feeling was, still wasn't enough time. I ended up on the floor. I just worry I will be alone or that it is something more serious. It is a horrible feeling. The cardiologist is going to to a few tests tomorrow and I will be wearing a heart monitor for a month. I will see how that goes. I am just worried. This is how things always start for me, and they never end up good.

It could be low blood sugar, low potassium, or a variety of things. My mom has done the same thing before, when her blodd sugar has dropped suddenly, but she started having seizures as well. Potassium does affect control of your legs as well, when it is either too high or too low. Simple blood tests would have already identified the possibilities of those two I would think.

Let us know....

I had this problem too my bp was too low and low potassium. I switched to a different bp med then I was ok. I always keep a bottle of OJ handy, It helps me when I feel light headed. I hope you find out what is wrong. Try some deep breathing through your nose, sounds funny but it helps.

Does your heart race? My daughter, we have been told has SVT. Her heart would race so fast that her heart doesn't have any blood to pass to the brain, she would turn white and pass out. It happened a lot, we would go to the ER it would stop by the time we got there and they say nothing was wrong with her. Once it happened and they said SVT. If you bear down or put ice cold water on your face you can restart your heart rate or get a shot. (ouch)
Funny thing, it only happened when she was on cellcept. Sharon

I am not sure. My stress test and everything looked good, so now they really don't know. The only link they can find is the potassium, but the doctor didn't feel so sure that is what it is. he said it can happen, but not likely. So, I still don't know and am a bit scared. I don't know what causes it and I think that is what bothers me the most. I don't have any medications that I changed or anything like that. I started the cyclosporine, but that was after the first time and before the second. I will update if I find anything out. Taking it day by day.

Allison

Hey Allison,

I am having the same symptoms as you except that I have not completely blacked out. I will be just walking along fine and all of a sudden I start getting dizzy and have to stop and sit or hang on to the wall until it passes. My Neph. sent me back to my cardiologist and I am currently using an event monitor to record the episodes. I have had it for 3 weeks now and will also keep it for a month. I am also scheduled to see a Neurologist in a couple of weeks to make sure I am not having mini-strokes. So, even though I can't offer any answers for you at least know that you are not alone with it. If I get any answers about my episodes I'll be sure and pass it along to you.
Good Luck and Hang In There,
Janet

Have either one of you had a CT scan done?

I did and they said it was fine. I am still skeptical. I haven't been feeling right, and I'm not really sure what it is. I am trying to get in to see a neurologist, but that is proving to be a challenge. I just hope it is nothing serious, when it happens, it freaks me out! Thanks for the help everyone. I will let you know if I do find anything out. I just hope it won't happen again!

Allison

I haven't had a CT scan for this problem, but I don't see the Neurologist for a couple of weeks yet and she may schedule one. I am also scheduled to have an ultrasound done on my heart next week to be sure I don't have another blod clot forming there.

Hey Allison,

How is your potassium level? My Neph. called today and mine has been steadily dropping it is now 3.4 and he is having me take pills for a couple of days and then I will re-do my labs. I just wondered if that might have anything to do with the dizzy spells?

My potassium was borderline low on the first time and the second time it was low as well. They changed my potassium from 20 MEQ to 80 MEQ of Klor Kon (potassium). I hope that is what it was. If I pass out again, I think I will freak. I know low potassium can cause dizzyness, so I am not really sure. We just hope that is what it is.

Allison

Hey Arison my name is ihab
I am a 29 year old male living in Toronto, Canada.
I came across your blog tonight while waiting in the hostpital.

I find your experience extremely facinating as I have experienced the same thing several times before.
In fact I passed out about an hour ago and thats what brings me here today.
This time my girlfriend insisted that I go to the hospital to get things checked out.
This is the 7th time it has happened within the last 5 years.
Tonight I actually passed out twice in a matter of 2 minutes. I was having dinner in a booth with a bunch of people around started to feel dizzy and knew right away that it was gonna happen again.. I told my girlfriend that I needed fresh air and that I wanted to go outside.. As I got up off the seat to go I passed out on the table and fell to the ground.. When I woke up '5 seconds later; from what my friends told me' I was surrounded by friends and staff.
The funny thing is that I knew what happened because I had experienced the same thing 5 times before.. After getting up I proceeded to try to go outside again and passed out a second time.
From what my friends tell me I was very pale and my eyes were wide open.
I have noticed many similarities between the last 7 occurrences which are as follows.

1st time: I was waiting in line at a club for about an hour surrounded by people in a constricted space.
I passed out.

2nd time : I was in a club it was crouded with people, smoke, lots of noise and it was hot.
I passed out

3rd time : I was at a friends party in his small condo I was in the hallway.. It was crouded with people.
I passed out

4th time : I was in 'Burito Boys' a local sandwitch place .. There was a line up and it was a very very small place.. I was waiting to order and passed out.

5th time : again club .. Again same thing

6th and 7th time : tonight having dinner.

I ruled out alcohol and drugs cause I was 100% sober on 4 of the seven occurrnces and on the others I had like one drink.

I have been puzzled for a long time as to what is wrong with me and looking forward to an answer.

All 7 occurrnces had one thing on common however and that was a confined space.. What I don't understand is how I can spend 6 hours straight in a car 'a confined space' and be perfectly ok..

Are you on lisinopril? My son had two episodes of passing out just recently. His BP was seriously low so we took him off the lisinopril and the passing out stopped. We monitor his bp daily and have not had to put him back on it. He also was not eating well because he had no appetite so that may have contributed.

If your potassium is too low or too high, your doctors should be able to tell you that right away.

Are you on lacix? It could be dehydration as well....but again they can test for that in your blood.

I know this may sound crazy, but if they run all the tests and everything looks fine, you may want to consider that this is stress related. This started happening to me a few weeks after my son was diagnosed. I will get into all the details of why it was happening...but I have learned to control it. I don't have FSGS/NS though...so definitely get your doctors to test you for everything before considering that it could be a stress reaction.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders