Idea for bad tasting, burning prednisone

I read on another web site that a mother is giving her son his medication (prednisolone) in an empty capsule to eliminate the bad taste and the burning sensation. I think is a wonderful idea, my Yahriel (4 yrs. old) is taking prednisolone in a form of pill. I went to the internet and found a web site that sell the vegetable empty capsule in bottle of 100. I am going to try it because it is hard to watch him struggle taking the pill, even though is oral pred chewable flavored, it still taste horrible. I will keep you updated to see if it work.

12 replies. Join the discussion

Mary takes prednisone by mouth. I just talked to the neph doctor and she perscribed the pill form. The pills do disolve quickly (like the old asprins?) So we take them with milk and they seem to slide down easier.

The one that Yahriel is taking is also the chewable, fast dissolving one. Also is flavored. I tried it and in the beginning has a sweet taste that last for a few seconds, and then the horrible taste, that in fact last for a while.I tried everything to get the taste out (sugar, salt even lime) but was still there. I watch him taking the pills and I fall into pieces. I think I am the problem, I dont want him to struggle or suffer for any reason. Anything to make his life easier.

I didn't know you could get chewable pills. My son is 7 and refuses to take the pills, even though he can swallow them. He takes the liquid Pedia-Prednisone.
It is so hard to watch them take medicine, especially when it does not taste good. My son picks something with chocolate, like an Oreo, to bite into between each liquid dose he has to take. We have tried the pills which he can swallow, but he hates the aftertaste even more than the liquid. At some point he is going to have to change to pills, but when I don't know.

Talk to your nephrologist, the chewable prednisolone tablet is called Orapred OTD orally disintegrating tablet and is grape flavored. Hope this help

Hi there,

In Holland pharmacists make -when parents ask them to- a special receipe of liquid Prednisone with banana taste or they have been making free of charge capsules with prednisone in. Would that be an option?

Yes, the pharmacy needed only the doctor's permission to add flavor to the medication. With Yahriel the problem was he did not wanted to take it, it took a long time because he either vomited or spilled, I never knew how much he was really taking. That's when the doctor suggested the pill. I suggest that you try it and see if it works for your child.
Hope this helps
Rosemary

We do the same - use the empty gel caps to put the pred tablets in. I also add any other pills into the same capsule which will fit - only one swallow then. I also use the gel caps to put any powdered medication in which doesn't taste any good - makes for less complaints at medicine time.

My daughter takes the liquid form (she's 3 years old) but the pharmacist flavors it with raspberry flavor which she likes. My pharmacist says the plain liquid tastes pretty bad...I know it must have a lot of flavor stuff in the raspberry one because it smells of raspberry pretty strongly. That at least means one less battle because she will take her medication without complaints. I didn't know the pills tasted so bad.

My son who is 4 takes the liquid form. He didn't complain at first then we got a version from a different manufacturer and he started giving me problems. I took it back to the pharmacy and they flavored it grape. Since then we have always flavored it and never had much of a problem. He always takes it with breafast and drinks some milk right after to wash it down. I think the aftertaste is still bad but the milk helps that.

HI MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN ON PREDNISONE FOR 5 YEARS NOW AND WE PUT IT IN A BITE OF BANANA BABY FOOD. IT IS THICK AND KEEPS WELL IN GTHE FRIDG AND HIDES THE TASTE WELL. I HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK

i took prednisone for the first time yesterday. dr said to take in the morning with lots of food. so i ate breakfast and then took the pills. she never said it would taste so bad. it was horrible tasting. i took a napkin and started scraping my tongue to get the taste off and almost gagged and my food almost came up. i knew then i had to do something or i wouldn't be taking the pills anymore.

today, i took a small piece of bread and wrapped tightly around each pill, then took each one separately with a swig of water, just like taking a regular pill.

it worked, no taste at all.

try it and see if it works for you.

When my son is taking prednisone (liquid form), we give it to him refridgerated. It cuts back on the bitterness.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders