Foamy Pee

I'm curious about this foamy pee people talk about and FSGS.

I understand it can be related to spillage of protein but I know for a fact that some people that are very healthy with no kidney disease can have very foamy pee too.

Could it also be from just the pressure of the flo of pee into the toilet? There must be other reasons for foamy pee that are not related to kidney disease.

Please give your opinions and or knowledge you might have on this topic.

6 replies. Join the discussion

Thats interesting and I've had the same question. My son with FSGS leaves a huge amount of foam each time he goes. A few weeks ago I found foam in my younger sons pee and freaked out a little. Took in some urine from a first morning sample and it showed negative protein. However a urine sample from him earlier in the summer showed slight protein later in the day.

My fiance has really foamy pee and his kidneys are fine. I think people with kidney disease see more foam as a result of loss of protein, and as function declines. I've noticed the past couple weeks mine has gotten more foamy and I haven't been feeling that great so I know it's related to the kidney disease.

I'VE NOTICED THIS TOO...BUT I DO NOTICE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT I CALL NORMAL FOAM AND PROTEIN FOAM. PROTEIN FOAM LOOKS LIKE SOAP BUBBLE FOAM THAT LASTS...NORMAL FOAM LOOKS CLEAR AND I NOTICE THE BUBBLES WILL POP. SOUNDS FUNNY I KNOW...BUT I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE. EVEN TY NOTICES THE DIFFERENCE AND WILL TELL ME WHEN HE SEE'S THE SOAPY LOOKING FOAM.

Many people (especially boys) have what's called benign proteinuria. It is a harmless amount of protein that spills out throughout the course of the day in the urine.

However, foamy pee should ALWAYS be analyzed by a doctor. My older son had FSGS (with LOTS of foam) and my younger son's pee is foamy too. My younger son has benign proteinuria right now, but we will be having a urinalysis done every six months.

So basically it can mean A LOT or nothing at all. Just always have it checked to make sure. Our doctors told us that if it is benign proteinuria, you will NOT see foam in the urine first thing in the morning...but will see it as the day goes on. If there is foam in the urine first thing when you wake up, that definitely needs to be checked. They are not entirely sure why, but when protein is spilled in the first morning urine, that can be a sign of a problem.

I have to giggle. We've had the same discussion here. Mom doesn't get the foam, but the guys do. Part of my theory on this one is a simple matter of distance. A lot of liquids poured from 12-24" up will make some bubbles.
I never go by what's in the bowl to guess if he needs to be dipped or not, that's what the cheap little medical urinal is for. With him, I don't worry until when he goes in it and I shake it,and it looks like a badly poured beer.
Though that's exactly how his Pediatrician taught me to note the protein when he was first diagnosed.

The foam/bubbles comes from the protein decreasing the surface tension of water - the same way that soap and detergents do.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders