Cow Milk Allergy and Nephrotic Syndrome

Has anyone heard about a possible link between cow milk protein intolerance and Nephrotic Syndrome?

See this article:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119986776/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRET RY=0

7 replies. Join the discussion

I can't access the link you put on, but it would be interesting to read it. Are there any main points? The reason I ask, is that my husband had MCD as a child, and now has a milk intolerance. We'd always put it down to some food poisoning he had... but maybe it's not? My son also has MCD (although currently in remission) but I haven't noticed any problems with milk. It would be interesting to see the artical.

I apologize, the URL I pasted above was snafu'd, here's one that I've actually verified :-)

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119986776/abstract

A few observations: There were only 6 children studied and only a few went into remission. Around 90% of kids respond to prednisone in 2 weeks and this study was only for steroid resistant kids. Also MCD I believe has a very high remission rate in kids (higher than the sample in the study) so it is tough to correlate this was because of the cow's milk restriction. PS - Going gluten free may help your husband with milk intolerance. The gluten and the body's autoimmune response actually shear off the ends of the villi in the intestines which produce the enzyme that digests the lactose in milk. Would be worth going two weeks gluten free and seeing if it helps (the villi are very fast to grow back).

I had thought that my daughter had an allergy to cows milk because she was having trouble with diarhea that wouldn't go away during an extended relapse period last summer, so we tried using soy milk instead. I think it must have been coincidence but the diarhea improved once we started the soy, and so did her protein spillage. So we kept her on the soy milk for 3 months, then revisited the immunologist/allergist. She was tested for an allergy to cows milk and she had no reaction. So we put her back on cows milk and didn't see any negative effects. So although there are a few articles on this and other allergies being related to NS, they are all fairly inconclusive and small sample size with poor validity unfortunately. I've been digging to find some reliable evidence of the relationship of allergies to NS, but have come up dry for the most part. In any case, if you suspect something, it can't hurt to take it out of your diet to see what happens (keep a journal to document everything) then re introduce it and see what happens! Best of luck.

Polemicuss - Thanks for the suggestion about the gluten/milk intolerance. Certainly something to think about doing. It would be great if it was that simple to sort!

The problem is that children are not being tested for either food or milk allergies at all, and there are case studies going back to the mid 80's that are showing this connection as a cause for NS. Yet doctors are not bothering to look. A survey that I did here a year ago showed that very little if any of the children are being tested at all, and I still ask why? It should be one of the first things that doctors look for.

The link to the case study above also seems to no longer work. Here is another link:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_267/ai_n15677757/

My point here is if even one child can be helped, and spared the use of prednisone, then the last line of the case study is very important, "Patients who are able to control their nephrotic syndrome with dietary modification alone will be spared the adverse effects of long-term prednisone use."

So look, test, confirm whether or not milk or food allergies are a problem. You might just get lucky as our daughter has. Worse case you can can feel comfortable in what your child can or cannot eat.

Well said Dux

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders