Cellcept and cold symptoms

My six yr old daughter has FSGS and has a cold that seems to be getting worse. She's on Cellcept and I'm not sure what I can give her over the counter for the runny nose and cough. Her neph didn't seem concerned about what I give her over the counter, but I'd like more advise. She also has asthma so we're starting neb treatments again. I think this was triggered by the cold. Thanks for any advise!

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, my son is on Cellcept for almost a year now. We give him cold medications like Tylenol and have not had any problems with it. Also I do not know if your daughter is in remission or not. My son is in remission and usually stays negative even when he has a cold. In December he had a very bad cold, maybe the flu, and started spilling trace. After three or four days our neph told us to increase his Cellcept dose and he went back to negative the next day. Not sure if that was because of the increase in the dose or that the cold was going away. We were just at the doctors on tuesday and he lowered his Cellcept dose back down again so hopefully he will stay negative.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. It's very scary thinking about our kids getting sick while on an immunosuppressant. She takes so many meds, I tried to wait this cold out to avoid another med. Her nose is constantly runny now, and she sticks her little tongue up there to catch any that runs down to her lip. It's really grossing me out, so time to take care of it. Kids! thanks again!

My choice would be the old standby Vitamin C. Many of these are great tasting, chewable, safe, and your daughter should have not problem taking them.

Thanks for the advise. I'll try it. She also takes her Flintstone multivitamin. She started running a fever today, so I called her neph and he said to give her Tylenol. I wish there was a list or something that showed exactly what OTC meds are OK and which are not, for those with FSGS. Any suggestions?

Toward the tail end of my son's Cellcept trial, he had a cold much of the time. He just had a hard time getting over illnesses and missed a lot of preschool with fevers. He was able to take children's Motrin and Tylenol. I give him chewable Vitamin C and a multivitamin. I also would try to prop his head up with several pillows at night to help with all the drainage. The FDA has warned against cold medicines for young children saying that they aren't proven to work anyway. This might be something to look into. I don't know what the lastest is. I don't give my son any cough medicines. He has had horrible coughs. I hope your daughter gets over her cold soon.

thank you. I'm going to get some vitamin c. We started Tylenol because of the fever. Her neph said if it gets to 102.5 or higher she'll need to be seen. So far so good though. Thanks again.

When our daughter is sick we try and switch between Tylenol and Motrin. We were told that she should not take the Motrin (b/c of the kidney disease) but almost all of the time it knocks the temperature down. The Nephrologist usually gets upset, then laughs and says what ever works to bring down the fever. Hope that your daughter keeps the fever down and doesn't need to go on any other meds. AND yes, colds can send the best parent of a child with FSGS/NS into a total panic!!
Much luck,
A

No fever since Sat. morning! Thanks for the input!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders